Is Ys: The Oath in Felghana the same as Ys 7???

#1zeplin1180Posted 12/28/2009 12:42:41 AM
If so, are there any rumors about it coming to the US??

And also, besides Ys 7 being one of the newer games in the series for the PSP, are there other Ys games on the horizon?

One more thing...

if Ys 7 never makes it to the US, which is sadly what's likely to happen, is it an easy-to-understand JP game, or will I have to make sure to keep a JP--->Eng fact sheet/tutorial/translator next to me at all times??

Thanx in advance for the advice and help! :)
#2KnightofAncientPosted 12/28/2009 9:11:02 AM
The PSP port of Oath in Felghana is going to use parts of or the whole Ys Seven engine. The windows version that was released in 2005 uses the Ys VI engine.

I am going through Ys Seven right now and it really is a import friendly game. The only time I need a faq with me is for the Quests and understanding what a item/accessory does. The only downside is not being able to understand the story, but thats taken care of since story faq's exist.

http://seldane.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=ys7&action=display&thread=4655

As for other Ys games. Ys I&II Chronicles which was released the PSP earlier this year, is a port of Ys I&II Complete for the PC which is a remake. If you want to play Ys I & II , I suggest getting Ys I & II complete because it has a english fan translation patch. There is also another cheap option of getting Ys Book 1 & 2 on the Wii Virtual Console for 8 bucks which is the Turbographix 16 version of the games. With the word that Falcom is interested in releasing its PSP games in the NA region, the decision is up to you.

For Ys games that are on the horizon, also in the making is Ys vs Sora no Kiseki which is a fighting game similar to FF Dissidia and Super Smash bros. Brawl.

Hopefully this answered your questions :).
#3zeplin1180(Topic Creator)Posted 12/29/2009 12:04:19 AM
so the Oath in Felghana is the newest Ys PSP game, which came out after Ys 7 and the other Ys PSP games, i.e. Ys I & II, Ys: the Arc of Napitism, and so on on the PSP??

and is the 'Oath in Felghana' scheduled to come out in the US?? because it pretty much sounds like Ys 7 isn't ever going to make it over here because i'm sure it would have at least been announced by now... which of course is no prob because i'll just import it.

although, i do remember reading somewhere about Ys 7 coming to the US and other countries around the globe?? i can't remember exactly where i read that, but i'm almost positive that there were at least some plans, at some point in time, set into motion to bring Ys 7 over to NA.

who knows??? maybe they're still planning to release an Eng version of Ys 7 in America?? it really does look like a great game... especially seeing as how i love these types of hack n' slash RPG's. and btw, is the Oath in Felghana the same type of game?

just to be clear though... how many Ys games are there on the PSP? and please do include any not-yet-released Ys game(s). i'm still a little confused about how many Ys games there are and what they're called??

anyways, from one Ys fan to another... thanx again for your help, it is greatly appreciated!!!
#4WyrdwadPosted 12/29/2009 1:14:06 AM
Ys Seven and Oath in Felghana are two different games. Oath in Felghana is actually a remake of Ys III: Wanderers From Ys, so chronologically, it takes place quite a few years before Ys Seven. Both are EXCELLENT games, however.

As for what Ys games are available on the PSP, Falcom themselves have released Ys I & II Chronicles and Ys Seven, and Konami has released a (not so great) port of Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim. An updated PSP port of Ys: The Oath in Felghana (which was originally a PC game) is coming in April, and will include new features such as Ys Seven-style special moves and voice-acting. And a fighting game featuring characters from the Ys series and the Legend of Heroes: Tracks in the Sky trilogy (none of which have come out in English; the Legend of Heroes games we got are from the Gagharv Trilogy) is also on the horizon.

Of these Ys PSP games, the only one currently available in English is Ark of Napishtim, but as mentioned above, it's not a very good port - you'd be better off playing the PS2 version, or buying the Japanese PC version and applying the English fan-translation patch that was released a few months ago.

Speaking of which, there are also English fan-translation patches available for the PC versions of Ys I & II Complete (which is basically the same thing as Ys I & II Chronicles on the PSP, but with different music arrangements and different character portraits) and Ys: The Oath in Felghana, so even if you can't play them in English on the PSP, you can on the PC without too much trouble.

No word on an English version of Ys Seven yet, but the game is still pretty new, so I think it still has a chance. Same with Oath in Felghana PSP after it's released in April.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

-Tom
#5WyrdwadPosted 12/29/2009 1:15:18 AM
Oh yeah, forgot: regarding whether or not you can play Ys Seven in Japanese, even without any Japanese knowledge - yes, you can. I wrote a topic on the Ancient Land of Ys message board, in fact, specifically to help people who can't speak Japanese play Ys Seven without any trouble:

http://seldane.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=ys7&action=display&thread=4816

-Tom
#6zeplin1180(Topic Creator)Posted 12/30/2009 11:20:08 PM
^^^

thanx to you both for clearing up a few questions/concerns i've had!!

based on what you've said about "Oath in Felghana," it really does look like another quality Ys game that is on par with Ys 7!!

i already own Ys: the arc of napitism(sp?) and i find it to be an ok action RPG. it's certainly not bad, but it's also not great... definitely not as great as Ys 7 sounds like.

my only concern now is deciding whether to import Ys 7 now, as well as Ys Oath in Felghana when it comes out in Japan... or to just wait for the both of them to come out in the US as the English versions??

either way, i'm going to get them... i just need to decide if i want them now or later? as of right now, i think i'm leaning more towards the option of importing them asap. because if i do wait for them to be released in the US, that could potentially be a very very long time (or never). that, plus the fact that both games can be played with little to no knowledge of the JP language. so that's definitely a big plus!

but, when all is said and done, i'll own Ys I & II chronicles, Ys 7, and Ys Oath in Felghana... all of which are my favorite type of RPG, the action RPG!! that's basically why i've been so concerned about both their quality and whether or not they're coming to the US.

oh, and the Ys Vs. Legend of Heroes fighting game looks like it could potentially make for a great fighting game... similar to what Tales of Vs. looks like. i haven't played Tales of Vs. as of yet, but from what i've read, it seems like a great game... especially to those who like anime styled video games!!!

anyways, thanx again guys for your willingness to help... i very much appreciate it.
#7WyrdwadPosted 12/31/2009 7:28:53 AM
Again, remember that you can always import Oath in Felghana and I & II Complete for PC, and play them in English. I can't stress how good the English fan-translation is, too - it's professional-quality all the way.

-Tom
#8FATALJUMPPosted 1/17/2010 9:54:29 PM
http://www.siliconera.com/2009/11/27/falcom-preparing-international-psp-push/

this may add a little light to the horizon.
#9ShiningPhantasyPosted 1/27/2010 4:52:31 PM
Thanks for the info guys; I had no idea that Felghana was slated to be released for PSP; that is good news. I wonder if they will make a custom OST for the PSP or just use the PC version. Really the existing OST is so impressive that any changes are probably not necessary. The fighting game sounds interesting also, definitely would look into that should it come out in the USA, and likely more arranged Ys themes; always a welcome occurrence.

I'd like to see Seven get picked up and published over here from one of the usual suspects (Atlus, XSEED) as it seems to be a solid entry into the series. I do have the soundtrack already however and I must say that while still good by game standards it is not one of the stronger entries in the Ys music catalog. It is pretty engaging, but throughout there are more boring tracks present than usual, some of these sound like common JRPG pieces and not trademark action-oriented Ys enough for my liking.

I would also love to see Ys 1 and 2 Chronicles make its' way over here, it appears to be the definitive version of the game, as the OST has surpassed the Turbo-CD version of the game as far as I'm concerned. (And is much better than the more recent synth-based Ys 1 and 2 Complete which it is based upon)

Unfortunately I am pretty stubborn about importing, so while I have been an Ys enthusiast since youth I have only actually played through Ys 1 and 2, (Duo) Ys 1, (SMS) and Ys VI (PS2). Almost picked up an import of Ys IV for Turbo-Duo back in the day but couldn't bring myself to spend seventy bucks on a game that I couldn't even read and understand. Was disappointed that the game was not localized back then.

I do not have a PSP as of yet but bringing out three Ys games that I have yet to play will change that in a hurry. Perhaps they will go ahead and do a version of Ys Origin too. This franchise deserves far more exposure than it receives.
#10WyrdwadPosted 1/30/2010 7:04:06 PM
See, I actually think Ys Seven's soundtrack is one of the best yet, ALMOST able to hold its own with Oath in Felghana's. I honestly don't think there's a boring track in the bunch! But, to each his own, I suppose.

Also, they will NOT be recording a new soundtrack for the PSP Oath in Felghana. They will, however, be recording voice-acting for it, which should be interesting!

-Tom