Just cannot get into all of Ys series.....

#11zinformantPosted 5/25/2012 7:39:49 AM
The other 'Legend of Heroes' games you refer to make up the Gagharv trilogy and have notoriously poor localizations. The experts even say the game was altered. To that end, you cannot let the bad experiences with those generalize to the Trails series since they have no significant relation to each other. I actually found the middle one with a box at Gamestop for dirt, bought it, and haven't found motivation to pick it up after playing maybe 30min-1hr.

I find it impressive that you claim to have killed bosses in Napishtim so simply considering Orjugan (in my opinion) and Ernst are incredibly dangerous, much moreso than anything in, say, this game.

Now, don't get any wrong ideas here. Feghana's boss fights are tough, with some cases where I found surviving rather difficult. I dunno, perhaps that's why I didn't like it as much as every other Ys fan out there. It's a good game; I'd probably rank it at the bottom of the pile, though.

And no "English" release of Origin is only an excuse until the end of the month, by the way. Here, if you're interested, here's some gameplay...
Don't watch too much of this. It's just to get a feel for general gameplay.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qQjt37TEik
Watch this next one at your own risk. It's the first major boss fight, and, yes, this person knows what s/he is doing. The music is great, though, and (in my opinion) the best boss theme in the series. Your mileage will vary here, but, hey, I'm trying to sell the game, aren't I?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6i-e8hvESw
This one is the main boss theme without the battle, if interested.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYC0fM4kwxc

I recall one or two annoying platforming spots (note: I said recall, so there may be more that I've blocked out) in Felghana and Origin, but it's nothing I'd consider a dealbreaker. The worst of all three I'd argue are the ruins in Napishtim. I fell so many times there...Felghana has a few areas that may be similar in that respect (like the area where "Sealed Time" plays).

And, for what it's worth, since it's been a while, after I buy Origin at release, I can report back here with more *recent* experience on how tedious the platforming and whatnot are. At least one of the bosses is unforgiving, but it's nothing unmanagable if you made it this far and can slug through Felghana.
---
I never cared abot justice, and I don't recall ever calling myself a hero...if an enemy appears in front of me, I will destroy it!
#12Im_A_potatoPosted 5/25/2012 10:36:26 PM
So "Legend of Heroes" is sort of like a brand of RPG games and "Trails in the Sky" falls under that brand?

Kind of like how the "Persona" series is under the brand of "Shin Megami Tensei".
#13zinformantPosted 5/26/2012 4:55:09 AM
That's one way to think about it, yes. I would also be inclined to say you can call Trails its own brand entirely given the attention Falcom gives it considering it's five games and counting.
---
I never cared abot justice, and I don't recall ever calling myself a hero...if an enemy appears in front of me, I will destroy it!
#14blasster(Topic Creator)Posted 5/26/2012 6:19:34 PM
Well, I honestly will just try to get what's available on PSP later, I guess.

My short research is:

Legend of Heroes I and II is two part series on Sega Saturn - Given the time now, I wouldn't go the effort to find a game on Sega Saturn.

Legend of Heroes III and IV and V is a trilogy, and all English release is available on PSP; A Tear of Vermillion, Prophecy of Moonlight Witch, and Song of The Ocean respectively.

Legend of Heroes VI is Trails in The Sky, and there are two direct continuation of it, but not titled Legend of Heroes VII and VIII, for some reason.....

.....and yeah, it seems that the series is popular enough to warrant yet another two games that revolves around the world LoH VI.

As I post this (May 2012), There are four Legend of Heroes available in English (III to VI), but all subsequent releases that are related to LoH VI are yet to be released.

At this point where PSP lifespan is almost done, I probably won't hope too much for it as well. Despite having partnership with Falcom, XSEED probably see no profit to be gained, thus choose to neglect further LoH VI series release.
---
Anticipating: Fire Emblem Awakening, Growlanser 4 PSP
Playing: Atelier Totori, Ys 6, Ys 7, Fate/Extra
#15blasster(Topic Creator)Posted 5/27/2012 8:46:21 AM
Alright, finished Ys Felghana, I guess for a remake of Ys III, the shortness is expected compared to Ys VI.

This will probably be the last straw before I'm done with this thread.

zinformant posted...
I find it impressive that you claim to have killed bosses in Napishtim so simply considering Orjugan (in my opinion) and Ernst are incredibly dangerous, much moreso than anything in, say, this game.

It is, in normal mode at least.

Being over-prepared and make you a walking tank is probably not a "fun" choice for some, but it does help very much in my experience of Ys. Even a level can make quite a significant difference.

Not to mention I'm prepared with 9x 300 hp heal, and Ernst at best can only force me use two of them.

Now, don't get any wrong ideas here. Feghana's boss fights are tough, with some cases where I found surviving rather difficult. I dunno, perhaps that's why I didn't like it as much as every other Ys fan out there. It's a good game; I'd probably rank it at the bottom of the pile, though.

Referring to my point above...., yes, Ys Felghana boss is harder because...., you can't freaking heal. >.>

Adol only alternative to heal is the "boost gauge", and dealing damage to receive some % of hp back.

Since Felghana is a remake after Napishtim, I'm not sure if Falcom makes Adol cannot use healing item so it will not be as easy as Napishtim, but that is what I think at least.

What a cheap attempt by Falcom to make the boss harder in Ys Felghana. >.>

And no "English" release of Origin is only an excuse until the end of the month, by the way. Here, if you're interested, here's some gameplay...
Don't watch too much of this. It's just to get a feel for general gameplay.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qQjt37TEik
Watch this next one at your own risk. It's the first major boss fight, and, yes, this person knows what s/he is doing. The music is great, though, and (in my opinion) the best boss theme in the series. Your mileage will vary here, but, hey, I'm trying to sell the game, aren't I?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6i-e8hvESw
This one is the main boss theme without the battle, if interested.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYC0fM4kwxc

Honestly, even if you don't try to sell it, I will probably try all Ys release from now on, as long as it is available in English lol.

Certainly looks interesting enough to try Hugo with ranged shooting stuff, looks like a choice between X and Zero in Megaman series. :o

Only thing I worry about is whether I will like the playable characters or not, since unlike the silent Adol, Yunica seems too meek and Hugo sounds like an anti-social jerk from the convo.
---
#16blasster(Topic Creator)Posted 5/27/2012 8:47:19 AM
I recall one or two annoying platforming spots (note: I said recall, so there may be more that I've blocked out) in Felghana and Origin, but it's nothing I'd consider a dealbreaker. The worst of all three I'd argue are the ruins in Napishtim. I fell so many times there...Felghana has a few areas that may be similar in that respect (like the area where "Sealed Time" plays).

From my experience, the Limewater cave is probably the worst in Ys VI with all the branching parts and requires you to hold two items just to go through the dungeon; The Amnesia Ruins only hard if you want to collect all items, in which all does not have to be gotten in the first visit since you will come back, at least twice.

Ys Felghana is not less annoying with freaking long Eldram Mountain that requires you to do a long series of jump, branching parts and breaking walls, plus the slippery spots until you get the boots.

Then, the greatest sin on Ys Felghana is you have go through the Valestein Castle that gives you all sorts of traps; rolling giant maces with spears underneath, spot with small tiles that requires you to do series of jumping (and having fun climbing back if you fall), and dark room with falling tiles.

Oh, did I also mention 4 bosses plus all the four branches path that looks the same? I even once somehow get out from the castle after beating the 2nd boss without having any intend to, and left to wonder "where the fack should I be going?".

This dungeon totally makes me give up in traveling it, and look at walkthough available, because I cannot stand it anymore.

NOT FUN AT ALL (./CRIES).

My TL:DR conclusion: Ys VI > Ys Felghana.
---
#17zinformantPosted 5/27/2012 10:04:42 AM
blasster posted...
.....and yeah, it seems that the series is popular enough to warrant yet another two games that revolves around the world LoH VI.

Yeah, Ao broke 200K and got Falcom a congrats from Sony, IIRC. I was one of but 200K who bought that delightful adventure and conclusion to the Zero arc...yeah, think of them like story arcs of...something greater? We really don't know how large the series will get at this point. Ignore the LoH branding. Trails FC and SC are the first duology. The 3rd is a fandisc/bridge/what have you. Zero and Ao are another duology. We await the next installments because the story is FAR from over; however, you could easily play the game currently in English (FC) and the one, Trails 2 (SC), that Xseed is working on and not miss the others much. And, even if Trails 2 never would come, the first game is a good enough experience on its own that you shouldn't lket the presence of sequels deter you. Wanted to make that clear. Peace.
---
#18Mister MoneyPosted 6/1/2012 5:51:50 AM
I started the Ys series with Ark of Napishtim, PS2 version. I remember I was looking through PS2 games at Gamestop and determined to get a non-Final Fantasy, non-Square Enix, non-mainstream game to try.

Ys Ark of Napishtim's art caught my eye (and I was never into anime style games back then) and I bought it. I never finished the PS2 version though. Then in 2008 I bought a PSP and saw Ys Ark of Napishtim (PSP) was on Amazon for a mere $15 + shipping. So I bought that and decided to play during my commute to and from work. I actually didn't mind the 5-6 second "Now Loading" screens and actually beat the game.

I tried to beat it on the PS2 version but never got around to it (yes, weird because the PS2 version is the SUPERIOR version). I then lent the game to a friend, but never asked for it back :(

After Ark, I was hooked onto the series and got XSEED's localization of Ys Seven. I played Oath in the original Japanese version, but couldn't bring myself to repeat the game 4-5 more times for a 100% gallery. I prefer Ys Seven since i dedicated over 150 hours to it maxing everything (see my Save file submission) but now I wished I did it on Nightmare or at least Hard mode. I'll leave that to someone else to complete :)
---
Currently Playing: Black*Rock Shooter The Game (PSP)
#19The_BonesPosted 6/1/2012 1:13:10 PM
Oath in Felghana is my favorite game in the series so far. The bump attack system initially turned me off from the first 2 games but I actually liked the psp remake of them. I'm currently playing through Ys Seven and it has been pretty good as well. I really like the engine they used for Oath in Felghana, Origins, and Ys VI though as I like the slight platforming elements and the combat. I haven't played Ys IV or V yet but hopefully that will change soon as the remake of IV is coming out on the Vita and I assume that a remake of V will be coming after that.