Couldn't find Ys 0 anywhere online to buy for PSP...

#1MonarchPaulosPosted 9/17/2012 9:19:34 PM
Does it even exist?
---
PSN: PaulosBlade, AIM: PaulostheSpy
http://www.youtube.com/user/PaulosTheGamer , I am Paulos Hunter Blade, owner of www.gamelegacies.com preserving legacies!
#2ShiningPhantasyPosted 9/17/2012 9:54:35 PM(edited)
If you are referring to Ys Origin then no it was never given a port by Falcom to the PSP unfortunately. You can play it by way of PC via Steam. I do not utilize my PC for gaming and have not gone this route myself, and perhaps will not ever play through the game unless it happens to resurface on a future console/portable in a Ys compliation of some sort. Would have been nice to have it on UMD next to Seven, Chronicles, and Felghana. (I have Napishtim on PS2)
#3kkeevvPosted 9/19/2012 4:00:29 PM(edited)
Okay, I can't resist. This was posted in one of the topics you made, and it says what platforms the games are on.

zinformant posted...
Welcome to Ys! There is currently no other game that plays on the party system exactly like this one, but I'll give you the rundown, anywyas, because the series is great.

Origin (Steam)
This one is my favorite and is a platformer with three characters at five difficulty levels. In short, you climb a tower that has changing environments with the same epic bosses--even moreso--that you'd expect from this series. The characters are interesting, too, because this is the only game where you don't play as silent Adol.

1 and 2
1 and 2 (DS, PSP, Other)
Ys 1 and 2 play on the 'bump' system. You literally bump into enemies to damage them as opposed to hitting a button. It sounds awkward, but it's really fun when you get the hang of it. I don;t think too highly of Ys 1, but Ys 2 is a good ride. Adol gets six different spells by the end.

The Oath in Felghana (PSP, Steam)
This one is a platformer like Origin and Napishtim (coming up). It's the fan favorite, but beware: it's challenging. Seven is rather easy compared to every other game in the series. Felghana is unforgiving, and that's part of the fun.

Celceta: Sea of Trees (Vita)
Watch for a possible localization announcement of this game. It runs on the party system like Seven does.

The Ark of Napishtim (PS2, PSP)
This is a platformer like Origin and Felghana. It's also the weakest of the three; it has a few leveling issues that I'm not too forgiving of lately. Still, it's a genuine Ys experience, and watch for a possible Steam release in the future (read: it may never happen). Note that the PSP version is inferior due to load times and lack of voices; however, it's playable.

Seven (PSP)
...you know about this one.

Questions?

Why would you make a topic about something you already have the answer to? A second time that is...
---
Check out my quote.
#4TaruTaruKirbzPosted 9/20/2012 12:14:54 AM
At this point, I think he's trolling. Just let em be.
#5zinformantPosted 9/20/2012 10:04:58 AM
ShiningPhantasy posted...
I do not utilize my PC for gaming and have not gone this route myself, and perhaps will not ever play through the game unless it happens to resurface

You know, I'd be really disappointed if you never end up playing it for this reason. Is it that you just don't want games on your PC? Origin is amazing, so I do agree is is frustrating to no end that it hasn't been ported yet. Maybe someday...it IS a black sheep because of the fact that it doesn't include Adol, but, and this is just my opinion, that is part of the reason it works so well. Adol is a fiction suit, an avatar.
---
Go to Gamestop, buy a Steam card, and use it to purchase Ys Origin. You won't be disappointed.
For more info: http://www.worldofys.com/yso/
#6ShiningPhantasyPosted 9/21/2012 10:04:00 PM(edited)
zinformant posted...
ShiningPhantasy posted...
I do not utilize my PC for gaming and have not gone this route myself, and perhaps will not ever play through the game unless it happens to resurface

You know, I'd be really disappointed if you never end up playing it for this reason. Is it that you just don't want games on your PC? Origin is amazing, so I do agree is is frustrating to no end that it hasn't been ported yet. Maybe someday...it IS a black sheep because of the fact that it doesn't include Adol, but, and this is just my opinion, that is part of the reason it works so well. Adol is a fiction suit, an avatar.

The following is a little long-winded, so apologies in advance:

In a sense your inquisition is accurate, I have always been a console gamer from my youth and have never adapted to gaming for PC; obviously there was a much greater contrast between consoles and personal computers for gaming in the eighties and early-nineties and I was strictly into console type games while turning my nose up and the prospect of playing with a keyboard/mouse. Oh I tried out early (Very early) games on Apple IIGS from time to time for comparison but never really was captivated with them; didn't want anything to do with an Amiga either; it was Nintendo and Sega systems (and eventually NEC) all the way.

It doesn't help that genres that originated and were popular on PC's such as FPS, text-adventures, MMORPG's, and real-time strategy are all genres that I detested. Even standard RPG's like Ultima and Might and Magic were choppy and clunky compared to more accessible (Important for a enthusiastic youth) variations offered on the console side. So perhaps there is a built-in resistance, but also that consoles/portables have always been purely for games while PC is used strictly for browsing/shopping/work/communication. The expense of frequently having to upgrade PC's to play cutting-edge software (Probably more-so in the past than now) was also a constant deterrent.

I of course would love to play though Ys Origin, but if I didn't it wouldn't be the first Ys game that I have missed out on. Never played Ys IV or V (Not localized) and didn't bother with Wanderers from Ys either even though it was widely available because it didn't stand out at the time among a crowded genre of side-scrolling action-adventure titles, and it was rather underwhelming next to Ys 1 & 2 (Now it's completely obsolete with Oath out there) with the exception of the TG-Duo OST. Almost purchased Dawn of Ys as an import for $70 from a mom-and-pop game store for my Duo, but just couldn't stand the idea of having to play a game with a lot of text in a language that I could not understand. Drove me crazy that NEC pulled out of the USA market and essentially gave up before releasing it over here. My younger brother went to Japan and brought home a physical copy of Ys Origin so we could rip the music so I actually have access to the game if I feel like trying it out sometime; I'd probably need his help for basic setup and with an English patch if it is available.

One last consideration is that I am a bit older (upper-thirties) and gaming is comprised of a minor part of my free-time, almost a passing fancy at this point; if I were my younger enthusiast self I'm sure I would go to greater lengths to play a localized installment of my all-time favorite adventure series.
#7zinformantPosted 9/22/2012 6:34:41 AM
Fair enough. When mentioning PC genres big some time ago, you missed a major one: the first person adventure "Myst" genre. It's completely dead now/there's no market for it, but I look back on those kinds of games fondly. Anyways, yes, there is an English patch for Ys Origin, which Xseed licensed and tweaked for their version, as I understand. Hopefully, you will try it out someday!
---
Go to Gamestop, buy a Steam card, and use it to purchase Ys Origin. You won't be disappointed.
For more info: http://www.worldofys.com/yso/
#8MonarchPaulos(Topic Creator)Posted 9/23/2012 11:36:15 PM
Ain't trollin, Taru, that's just a pathetic word for people who easily get annoyed at those seeking extra knowledge- and I'm used to Kev being a stick in the mud- so, anyway... thanks for the info about Ys 0, I was confused about that because that other guy had suggested it and I was looking for it and went "wtf" ha ha, well- bye you friendly people you :p.
---
PSN: PaulosBlade, AIM: PaulostheSpy
http://www.youtube.com/user/PaulosTheGamer , I am Paulos Hunter Blade, owner of www.gamelegacies.com preserving legacies!
#9helldewPosted 10/4/2012 8:15:22 AM
It doesn't help that genres that originated and were popular on PC's such as FPS, text-adventures, MMORPG's, and real-time strategy are all genres that I detested. Even standard RPG's like Ultima and Might and Magic were choppy and clunky compared to more accessible (Important for a enthusiastic youth) variations offered on the console side. So perhaps there is a built-in resistance, but also that consoles/portables have always been purely for games while PC is used strictly for browsing/shopping/work/communication. The expense of frequently having to upgrade PC's to play cutting-edge software (Probably more-so in the past than now) was also a constant deterrent.

I like gaming on PC and i can tolerate FPSs but i generally dislike MMOs and a lot of the RPGs/RTS`s on PC. also you rarely have to upgrade PC hardware like you use to. PCs are stuck on the console generation thus the hardware from litearlly 5 years ago is still pretty solid and able to run games perfectly fine. teh expense factor on PC has also change drastically with steam entering the market and pretty much changing the pricing of games to something a tad more reasonable for a digital servce. the PC market is a changed market i wouldnt entirely blanket it out due to past notions. hell i would just check of origin runs on your PC (try out the demo). and if the controls are an issue it sounds like you have a PS3 try hooking up a joypad.

i do understand your notion though PC gaming isnt exactly the easiest thing to approch but it has evolved a ton over the last couple of years faster then even the consoles IMO.
---
ErrorSupply 3-D DS -OMG! It's the ultimate anti-pirate tech O:.