This game is exactly what I've been looking for, for over a decade

#1VeryFunTimesPosted 12/3/2012 12:18:25 AM
I have known of Ys for some time, but never cared to look into it. This game is spot on! Perfect balance for my tastes. I can't believe it.
---
AIM: lostelixer
#2zinformantPosted 12/3/2012 12:49:47 PM
I think many of us had that feeling at one point or another. Glad you like it, and make sure to check out the other titles later!
---
Go to Gamestop, buy a Steam card, and use it to purchase Ys Origin. You won't be disappointed.
For more info: http://www.worldofys.com/yso/
#3hauntbotPosted 12/5/2012 4:25:35 AM
same here. remember hearing about wanderers from ys way back in the day, but never got into the series until just recently. glad i did, this game is great!
---
if youre 100% christian and proud put this in your sig
jesus gave humanity the golden rule for a reason. amen :)
#4ShiningPhantasyPosted 12/7/2012 8:08:30 PM
I was an early adopter dating back to Ys Book 1 for the SMS; after the 16-bit era where Ys was in its' prime it looked bleak in regards to any more games in the series being created so I was overjoyed when Ys VI was announced. More important than this though is Falcom staying true to the presentation and game-play (And of course the music) that made the franchise so cool to begin with. This royal care and treatment doesn't occur with most great franchises of the past unfortunately, including the two series that make up my forum name.
#5zinformantPosted 12/7/2012 8:26:54 PM
What's Shining a reference to?
---
Go to Gamestop, buy a Steam card, and use it to purchase Ys Origin. You won't be disappointed.
For more info: http://www.worldofys.com/yso/
#6ShiningPhantasyPosted 12/7/2012 9:01:02 PM
Sega's various Shining role-playing games. Shining in the Darkness, Shining Force 1, 2, and 3, Shining Wisdom, Shining the Holyark, and a bunch of crappy, slapped together Shining games that came afterwards.
#7hauntbotPosted 12/9/2012 11:38:08 AM
ShiningPhantasy posted...
Sega's various Shining role-playing games. Shining in the Darkness, Shining Force 1, 2, and 3, Shining Wisdom, Shining the Holyark, and a bunch of crappy, slapped together Shining games that came afterwards.

i sitll dont get why they decided to turn one of the games that trail blazed the srpg genre into a crappy subpar action rpg. :l
---
if youre 100% christian and proud put this in your sig
jesus gave humanity the golden rule for a reason. amen :)
#8ShiningPhantasyPosted 12/9/2012 5:06:27 PM(edited)
Hauntbot, I could not agree with you more if you paid me a thousand bucks to; the Shining concept up to that point was to have different styles of adventure/rpg with the same "Shining" brand name, and each title represented a different sub-genre. Force pertained to SRPG's, "Shining The" represented first-person RPG's, Shining Wisdom was an action/rpg in the mold of 2D Zelda games. Now they could have titled the Neo/Exa games something unique but in the interest of maximum sales potential Sega decided to brand the games "Shining Force" in an attempt to capitalize on loyal fans of the SRPG series and squeeze out as many units as possible. All they did (like with many of their franchises) was to cheapen the brand and tarnish its' legacy. I bought Exa used at a heavy discount once and I could only get through about five hours before I was bored out of my mind from its' redundant and uninspired game content.

But that it what Sega had become by then (After they got out of the hardware business, and in some cases before): a bottom-line oriented company with ultimately little value for the quality of its' releases. Now if you'll excuse I will stop here before I go into a rant about how much better the latter-eighties and nineties were for the game industry then the dismal present.
#9VeryFunTimes(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2012 3:39:04 AM
I wonder, having started the franchise with this game, if the others will seem too inferior or outdated. I feel like one of those kids whose first Final Fantasy was FFX (or even FFVII).

I will give the older games a chance. I did enjoy Soul Blazer, and that's severely outdated. I imagine older Ys games being similar to that.
---
AIM: lostelixer
#10ShiningPhantasyPosted 12/10/2012 10:20:40 AM
If you liked Soul Blazer--which is a good game--then you would not have any problems getting through and enjoying any of the Ys games. Besides that the PSP games are all complete re-makes (Oath in Felghana) or upgraded definitive versions. (Ys 1 and 2 Chronicles) I'm sure that you could even play the Turbografx-CD version of Ys 1 and 2 via virtual console and be pleased with it, but I would go with Chronicles first between the two. It is recommended that when you want to tackle Y VI (Ark of Napishtim) though to go with the PS2 version rather than the PSP.

Games from the 16/32 bit eras hold up well; particularly the shoot-em-ups, RPG's, and action/adventure/platformers.