Anyone notice they don't capitalize "god" in the subtitles?

#121SterlingFoxPosted 5/31/2012 2:45:37 PM
PippythePoop posted...
WRONG! Thanks for playing though!

If someone - such as myself or a fellow non-religious, Atheist sort - doesn't feel that the term "god" is a being's name, then it doesn't deserve, nor should be, capitalized. Those that believe in this being, on the other hand, think it IS a name and thus should be capitalized. The argument for this has been clearly stated, and it DOES fall clearly under a religious text. You are either completely incompetent, or like most on the religious side of the fence, only chose to hear what you want to hear.

Thanks for the "troll" comment though. That always seems to pop out when someone doesn't have the words nor logic to back up their baseless convictions. Keep trying though. I'm amused at what tactic you might try next. (Hint: Don't ignore previous posts that have clearly stated why this is ONLY a grammatical issue when taken in a religious context.)

WRONG! Thanks for playing though!

If someone - such as yourself or a fellow non-religious, Athiest sort - doesn't feel the that God is a being's name, then it still deserves, and should be, capitalized on the grounds that it's not a name it's a Title. Regardless of whether you believe something exists to hold the title, the title itself still exists and therefore should be capitalized.

Look, I'll apply your distinct lack of logic to something else and show you how flawed it is. (Or I'll try. You seem to ignorant and incompetent to actually see it)
I don't believe there is anyone in the world named Steve. Therefore, Steve is no longer a proper noun and I don't have to capitalize it.

That's not how the language works. You don't choose what is and isn't proper based on your own personal beliefs. You're wrong, now it's time to get over it and go back to your corner.

See how easily I just smashed your argument? Its because your argument is basically "NUH UH!" and can essentially be nullified with "YEAH HUH!"
Yet my argument goes beyond that into a mystical thing that's likely unheard of to you. It's called "logic" and "common sense". Google them. Maybe some of their wisdom will find it's way through your skull.
---
''Were it so easy.''
MGO = Captain Deadman
#122Ext_MePosted 5/31/2012 3:03:52 PM
Must suck to be the guy who revived a dead topic to continue an irrelevant argument and then lose said argument right out of the gate.
---
I play fighting games. Shooting at stuff is cool too.
GT: H1Z1 Influenza/PSN: Extermin8ted
#123pillerofautumnPosted 5/31/2012 3:23:55 PM(edited)
Must suck to be the guy who revived a dead topic to continue an irrelevant argument and then lose said argument right out of the gate.

Think you missed this part:

Maybe you didn't do so hot in your debate teams or Philosophy classes, unlike myself.

You've lost before this debate even started guys.

>_>
#124Ch3wyPosted 5/31/2012 3:41:40 PM
Those are some amazing credentials.
#125DoukouscarPosted 5/31/2012 4:08:47 PM
Ch3wy posted...
Those are some amazing credentials.

He pro
---
Don't read this sig.
#126Duh_Bad_GuyPosted 5/31/2012 4:37:23 PM
I don't know about angels, but it's red bull that gives men wings.
---
"An eye for an eye ass wipe. A toof, for a gotdamn toof." -Buffalo Soldier
#127MuffinSlayer2Posted 5/31/2012 8:01:58 PM
SilentSoprano posted...
NeroTheLurker posted...
Max doesn't believe in god.

I know. But even when the mob boss says it in multiplayer, and when other people say it. Even if you don't believe in God, it's still usually capitalized. Since it's a name.

If you don't believe in god, it's not a name. That's why it's not capitalized
---
I don't need to get a life, I'm a gamer.......I can respawn!
Pokemon White FC: 1335-2959-4519 (Zach)
#128PippythePoopPosted 5/31/2012 8:20:49 PM
Gethsemane awaits.
#129PippythePoopPosted 5/31/2012 8:23:02 PM
pillerofautumn posted...

Think you missed this part:

Maybe you didn't do so hot in your debate teams or Philosophy classes, unlike myself.

You've lost before this debate even started guys.

Not.
#130PippythePoopPosted 5/31/2012 8:26:21 PM
megaddtd posted...
PippythePoop posted...
Well, please do tell me why then.

I mean, it makes perfect sense to me. Maybe you didn't do so hot in your debate teams or Philosophy classes, unlike myself. I explained things in a clear cut, straight-forward and logical way. And then you come on, say that's ridiculous without saying WHY, and then pretend to be an Atheist in some misguided and vain attempt to stick one to the non-Christian crowd. Explain your position in a way that attempts to denounce my stance and we'll go from there. If you can.

But to reiterate:

1. As has been mentioned and mostly ignored in this debate, the name "god" is NOT the supposed Supreme Being's name to begin with, expcept perhaps in certain religous circles that don't like to learn things like REAL History and Science.

2. Being that I don't belong to one of those backwater, "Let's teach Creationism instead of Science" and "Jesus's breath creates the wind" kind of towns, the term "god" is not what I consider said supposed Supreme Being's name to be or ever have been, and thus do not capitalize it. Supreme Being, Jehovah, Allah, The Lord, even Jesus Christ are REAL, accepted names and thus deserved to be capitalized regardless of religious inclinations.

3. The term "god" originated somewhere between the 5th and 7th centuries AD as a means by the church to stamp out polytheism and Pagan belief structures in many "gods", trying to force a monotheistic view upon those peoples by taking the generic term and applying it as a "name" to "the one and only above all others" Supreme Deity. It was also used by the (Catholic) Church as a means to separate certain Jewish beliefs of The Lord (such as the name Yahweh) from the Christian Jesus Christ belief system.

4. As such, the term to me is NOT a name, a but a delineation of a subset of (imaginary)entities. Zeus is a god. Allah is a god. Yahweh is a god. "God" is not A god.

Unless you're referring to the Judaic/Christian God, in which case his name is literally God, like Zeus's name is Zeus, and Crom's name is Crom.

Wow. Some people just don't know how to read or have the ability to learn. What part of the "the term 'god' is not the Christian god's true name" fell on deaf and dumb ears hear?