Anyone notice they don't capitalize "god" in the subtitles?

#41gOwCoD4Posted 5/27/2012 9:32:41 PM
Sounds like someone's jimmies are rustled real good...
---
People really need to stop complaining about the inclusion of online passes...
#42SterlingFoxPosted 5/27/2012 9:36:41 PM
gOwCoD4 posted...
Sounds like someone's jimmies are rustled real good...

Gamefaqs logic:
"Somebody posted something intelligent that I disagree with? THEY'RE SO ANGRY!"
---
''Were it so easy.''
MGO = Captain Deadman
#43gavin78Posted 5/27/2012 9:40:47 PM
Weird mistake since Max Payne 3 is really a metaphor of The Book of Job.

He shall return no more to his house, neither shall his place know him any more.
Job, 7. 10

Great men are not always wise.
Job, 32. 9

He paweth in the valley, and rejoiceth in his strength: he goeth on to meet the armed men.
Job, 39. 21
---
Nothing like the view of extreme poverty to make a penthouse cocktail party really swing
#44RagAndBoneMan3Posted 5/27/2012 10:47:29 PM
I'm sure there are plenty of mistakes in the subtitles. You know you picked this one for attention.
---
Is that a real poncho or a Sear's poncho?
#45The_SpennyPosted 5/27/2012 11:10:11 PM
LOLfelines posted...
because god is make believe so does not need to be capitalized.
would you care if they wrote "tooth fairy" non capitalized?

Max Payne is make believe but they capitalise that...
---
The Mad Gamer - 2003 - 2012 - may the legend continue to live in our hearts forever.
#46GimarkPosted 5/27/2012 11:27:46 PM
I'm sorry but surely you would know this would erupt in an angry, pointless, flame-war that all sides would take part in.
---
How are you relevant you are just words on my computer screen.
#47CruorComaPosted 5/27/2012 11:29:50 PM
I see your point, but it could be a nod to the fact that in today's lexicon "God" doesn't exclusively refer to a religious deity anymore. "Thank God" is a common term, used even by non-Hebrew/Judaic believers to simply thank fate or the powers that be, so maybe the line infers that God is now a homonym.

Or maybe this is all conjecture over a possible typo, who knows.
---
Gamertag: LordMahemium - RIP Sparky
Satanic Overlord of The Bar With No Name
#48CL60Posted 5/27/2012 11:49:41 PM(edited)
Context guys. God isn't always capitalized. Only if you're referring to the specific god that we refer to as God, not if you're simply saying god.

For example, a Christian would say "I prayed to God." as they are referring to their specific god. If they said. "My God has spoken to me." It would be grammatically incorrect, as it should be "My god has spoken to me." because you are not saying a specific gods name, you are simply saying that a god spoke to you.

Us atheists don't spell it without a capital because we're trying to offend you, we spell it without a capital because we are talking about gods as a whole, not your god named God.. learn the difference.

Sheesh.
---
Opinion - A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof <--Reference for 95% of gamefaqs
#49SterlingFoxPosted 5/28/2012 12:22:41 AM
CL60 posted...
Context guys. God isn't always capitalized. Only if you're referring to the specific god that we refer to as God, not if you're simply saying god.

For example, a Christian would say "I prayed to God." as they are referring to their specific god. If they said. "My God has spoken to me." It would be grammatically incorrect, as it should be "My god has spoken to me." because you are not saying a specific gods name, you are simply saying that a god spoke to you.

Us atheists don't spell it without a capital because we're trying to offend you, we spell it without a capital because we are talking about gods as a whole, not your god named God.. learn the difference.

Sheesh.

An example given was that it was lower case when the Italians said it. Italian mobsters are / were predominantly Catholics. So any reference made in Max Payne 3 is to the Christian / Catholic God. In which case it should be capitalized. I don't think Max himself ever says it.

As a side note, God isn't a name, it's a title.
When Christianity formed, one of the primary faiths it was denouncing was Paganism. So they wanted to stress that there is only one God and not many, and thus God (singular) became the term for it.
It's a title, and not a name. Which is also capitalized.
---
''Were it so easy.''
MGO = Captain Deadman
#50SterlingFoxPosted 5/28/2012 12:33:04 AM
To clarify my view though, nobody should even give a **** about this. I'm sure it didn't even occur to Rockstar, and rightfully so.
---
''Were it so easy.''
MGO = Captain Deadman