Anyone notice they don't capitalize "god" in the subtitles?

#51pillerofautumnPosted 5/28/2012 12:50:18 AM
About that argument...
http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/burden-of-proof.html

I don't believe in God, and I'm generally tolerant of others' beliefs, but that's just completely stupid.

So you can claim anything and someone has to prove you wrong? That's not how it works. If that were the case, Jimmy Hoffa is still alive. Prove me wrong. Also, I have super powers. Until you prove me wrong, I'm gonna fly around and chill with Hoffa.
#52SilentSoprano(Topic Creator)Posted 5/28/2012 1:01:40 AM
Gimark posted...
I'm sorry but surely you would know this would erupt in an angry, pointless, flame-war that all sides would take part in.

I had a feeling, but I legitimately want to know why Rockstar did that. It doesn't seem like them to have a typo like that, even if it is just subtitles. They usually are top notch in the details of their games The fact that God, in the context of the title given to the "supreme being" that some people believe in, wasn't capitalized not only once, but 2 or 3 times, surprises me. It seems as if it was done on purpose for some reason.
#53SilentSoprano(Topic Creator)Posted 5/28/2012 1:03:07 AM
SterlingFox posted...
To clarify my view though, nobody should even give a **** about this. I'm sure it didn't even occur to Rockstar, and rightfully so.

Rockstar has brilliant writers that are obviously well versed in the English language and its grammar, syntax, and so forth. It seems weird that they would do this, let alone somehow make a "typo" 2 or 3 times in the game on the same word. I was just genuinely curious. I guess this wasn't the best place to ask though.
#54SilentSoprano(Topic Creator)Posted 5/28/2012 1:10:01 AM
RagAndBoneMan3 posted...
I'm sure there are plenty of mistakes in the subtitles. You know you picked this one for attention.

I picked this one because I thought it was interesting, and was hoping you all would have some interesting commentary or insight on it. Obviously, that isn't the case in this thread (except for a couple of people, and for that I thank you). If I had seen this "typo" just once, then I wouldn't have thought much of it. The fact is though, I saw it 2 or 3 times, leading me to believe that it wasn't actually a mistake. It's not some obvious mess-up either, like when you see a singular world instead of a plural word.
#55Ext_MePosted 5/28/2012 1:10:15 AM
pillerofautumn posted...
About that argument...
http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/burden-of-proof.html

I don't believe in God, and I'm generally tolerant of others' beliefs, but that's just completely stupid.

So you can claim anything and someone has to prove you wrong? That's not how it works. If that were the case, Jimmy Hoffa is still alive. Prove me wrong. Also, I have super powers. Until you prove me wrong, I'm gonna fly around and chill with Hoffa.

That's kind of how it always worked.
If we're arguing and you make a claim that I disagree with, it's on me to prove you wrong.

After all, if I can't explain why you're wrong, why am I even arguing?

So yeah, you an say Jimmy Hoffa is alive, and it would be on me to either A) Sidestep the argument entirely and don't participate or B) Vocally disagree and provide proof to support my standpoint.
---
I play fighting games. Shooting at stuff is cool too.
GT: H1Z1 Influenza/PSN: Extermin8ted
#56SilentSoprano(Topic Creator)Posted 5/28/2012 1:12:52 AM
gOwCoD4 posted...
SilentSoprano posted...

I know. But even when the mob boss says it in multiplayer, and when other people say it. Even if you don't believe in God, it's still usually capitalized. Since it's a name.

Well, god isn't a real name. Jesus is a real name, but god isn't. God is usually referred to as an almighty deity, so it isn't a name, and does not require capitalization. Why does this bother you anyways?

I just thought it was interesting. I wanted to see what others thought it could be, whether a mistake or something else. Usually, there aren't glaring "mistakes" like this in a Rockstar game, at least from my experience.
#57rts11220Posted 5/28/2012 1:15:25 AM
when you up in heaven don't be too surprised to find god a black lesbian chick.
---
this sig sucks
#58SilentSoprano(Topic Creator)Posted 5/28/2012 1:16:57 AM
rts11220 posted...

He/She could be for all I know. That's not the point though.
#59SterlingFoxPosted 5/28/2012 1:40:19 AM
SilentSoprano posted...
rts11220 posted...

... You're not actually a Christian, are you? Or at least not a practicing one.
---
''Were it so easy.''
MGO = Captain Deadman
#60CruorComaPosted 5/28/2012 2:28:34 AM
SterlingFox posted...
SilentSoprano posted...
rts11220 posted...

... You're not actually a Christian, are you? Or at least not a practicing one.

Well to be fair, there aren't really true Christians any more. If there are they'd all be locked up for being criminally insane. After all:

"If a man encounters a young woman, a virgin who is not engaged, takes hold of her and rapes her, and they are discovered, the man who raped her must give the young woman's father 50 silver shekels, and she must become his wife because he violated her. He cannot divorce her as long as he lives."
Deuteronomy 22:28-29

“If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them: Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place; And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard. And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.”
Deuteronomy 21:18-21

All that remains of the faith are those who pick and choose at their own discretion what to take literally, metaphorically and ironically.
---
Gamertag: LordMahemium - RIP Sparky
Satanic Overlord of The Bar With No Name