Anyone notice they don't capitalize "god" in the subtitles?

#81PippythePoopPosted 5/28/2012 1:41:34 PM
CL60 posted...
Us atheists don't spell it without a capital because we're trying to offend you, we spell it without a capital because we are talking about gods as a whole, not your god named God.. learn the difference.

Sheesh.

This is in many ways my favorite post.

When I say the word god, it doesn't apply to ONE particular deity or being, therefore it's not an actual name to me, therefore I don't capitalize it.

But Christians get all offended if you don't accept their faith as THE ONE TRUE FAITH ABOVE ALL OTHERS AND ABIDE BY THEIR RULES!
#82SterlingFoxPosted 5/28/2012 1:51:18 PM
PippythePoop posted...
CL60 posted...
Us atheists don't spell it without a capital because we're trying to offend you, we spell it without a capital because we are talking about gods as a whole, not your god named God.. learn the difference.

Sheesh.

This is in many ways my favorite post.

When I say the word god, it doesn't apply to ONE particular deity or being, therefore it's not an actual name to me, therefore I don't capitalize it.

But Christians get all offended if you don't accept their faith as THE ONE TRUE FAITH ABOVE ALL OTHERS AND ABIDE BY THEIR RULES!

You're clearly either incompetent or a troll.

This topic isn't about religion, it's about proper noun capitalization. It simply uses a religious aspect as an example. This is a grammatical issue, not a religious one.
If you want to talk about it religiously, then it doesn't matter what "you atheists" would say because the phrase in question was said by Catholic Italian Mobsters. Therefore it matters what a Catholic would say.

Side note: Nobody cares what your religion is. Stop forcing it down our throats. Again, we're talking about proper noun capitalization, not religion.

And no, that wasn't irony. You, like most hipster youths, use the word wrong.
---
''Were it so easy.''
MGO = Captain Deadman
#83Ext_MePosted 5/28/2012 2:00:38 PM
PippythePoop posted...
Ext_Me posted...
krazykiwikid posted...
LMAO!! "Athiests are insecure" is easily the most hilariously ironic comment of this thread. Congrats.

Its funny because the topic got derailed to because of atheists

Not really.

The religious - actually, just the Christians - expect or desire the word "god" to be capitalized. The non-religious or Atheists (and those are separate delineations) think the word "god" does not need to be capitalized.

Seriously TC, you expect the word to be capitalized (you refer to it as a "typo"; perhaps Rockstar did it on purpose) so its pretty much a given you are Christian.

This topic - and your intent, no matter what you say, or how many times you say it - was to spark the very argument that ensued.

See- you're dragging religion into it.
That's NEVER what this has been about.

It was a question about why the word was not capitalized. Then atheists came in and said "Well he doesn't exist so why would we" when it was never about that. Its a NAME. You capitalize names, but for some reason when God is brought up, everyone has to get aggressive and start throwing their opinions and **** into the mix when its a ****ing question about grammar.

The fact that you think this topic was made just to make a religious debate is silly as well. You're basically saying that because TC mentioned God at all, he intended for this argument to happen. What are you basing this very wild assumption off of, again?

Also, there is an Atheist that also agreed that because its a name that it should be capitalized, so that statement about only religious people wanting it capitalized properly is wrong as well.

The people who disagreed can't even come up with proper arguments as to why it should stay the way it is-- but it doesn't matter, they're just here to argue about religion anyway.

Save for the few people who did explain why God isn't a name, but its also referred to as a title, so that point is moot.
---
I play fighting games. Shooting at stuff is cool too.
GT: H1Z1 Influenza/PSN: Extermin8ted
#84Ext_MePosted 5/28/2012 2:16:16 PM
pillerofautumn posted...
pillerofautumn posted...
About that argument...
http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/burden-of-proof.html

I don't believe in God, and I'm generally tolerant of others' beliefs, but that's just completely stupid.

So you can claim anything and someone has to prove you wrong? That's not how it works. If that were the case, Jimmy Hoffa is still alive. Prove me wrong. Also, I have super powers. Until you prove me wrong, I'm gonna fly around and chill with Hoffa.

That's kind of how it always worked.
If we're arguing and you make a claim that I disagree with, it's on me to prove you wrong.

After all, if I can't explain why you're wrong, why am I even arguing?

So yeah, you an say Jimmy Hoffa is alive, and it would be on me to either A) Sidestep the argument entirely and don't participate or B) Vocally disagree and provide proof to support my standpoint.

That's news to me, then. Every debate I've been in, every discussion, every thesis paper, if I make a claim, I've always had to back it up.

And I'm certain most people are like this as well. It's pure ignorance to think someone has to prove you wrong on a claim that can't be proven. This is how it works in the scientific field, this is how it works in the real world. I guess that's not how it works in the religious field...

Do you know why this doesn't work like it should in the religious field?
Its because you don't debate them.

There is no evidence that can point to either side being right, and so nobody wins it.
Yet people still argue religion because they think there is some kind of answer at the end of the debate. The problem is that the debate doesn't end.

"God exists, you can't prove me wrong."
"God is fake, you can't prove me wrong."

It goes both ways.
---
#85Ch3wyPosted 5/28/2012 2:19:59 PM

There is no evidence that can point to either side being right, and so nobody wins it.
Yet people still argue religion because they think there is some kind of answer at the end of the debate. The problem is that the debate doesn't end.

It goes both ways.

Actually according to logic it does end. It's all about the burden of proof. The person who is making the outstanding claim needs to prove themselves; atheists aren't asking you to believe anything new.
#86Ext_MePosted 5/28/2012 2:26:15 PM
Ch3wy posted...

It goes both ways.

Actually according to logic it does end. It's all about the burden of proof. The person who is making the outstanding claim needs to prove themselves; atheists aren't asking you to believe anything new.

They're asking you to believe that there is no God.

But I suppose you're right; it ends, but not with an answer. I mean, if there is one, let me know, because the debates I've seen just run themselves into circles.
---
#87HeadneckPosted 5/28/2012 2:36:14 PM
SirLezdain posted...
SilentSoprano posted...
Ext_Me posted...
LOLfelines posted...
because god is make believe so does not need to be capitalized.
would you care if they wrote "tooth fairy" non capitalized?

Its a name, though. You don't capitalize God because he's God, you capitalize God because its a name. You DO capitalize names, don't you?

The topic isn't even about the existence of god and people still come in here with **** like this.

This is why I was afraid of making the topic. I thought it might turn into an atheist circle-jerk.

That's why you never should have made it, atheists--the insecure bunch that they are--will seize on any opportunity to denounce God and any religion. Pandora only comes out of the box, he doesn't go back in.

Lol insecure. Way to project the feelings you have about yourself on to others. That's cute.
---
Streets is watchin'
#88Ch3wyPosted 5/28/2012 2:38:56 PM
Ch3wy posted...

It goes both ways.

But I suppose you're right; it ends, but not with an answer. I mean, if there is one, let me know, because the debates I've seen just run themselves into circles.

If you already believe in one, yes, but to someone who is neutral on the issue and unfamiliar with the concept of a god they aren't introducing anything new. It is impossible to prove a negative claim, since we don't know everything, so the burden of proof most certainly can't be on them.

And yes there still isn't an answer, it can only be shown that it is illogical to believe in a deity. Is it incorrect? Iuno, but it's certainly not a belief based around logic. Unless you've managed to meet the dude yourself.
#89Ext_MePosted 5/28/2012 2:53:05 PM
Ch3wy posted...
Ch3wy posted...

It goes both ways.

If you already believe in one, yes, but to someone who is neutral on the issue and unfamiliar with the concept of a god they aren't introducing anything new. It is impossible to prove a negative claim, since we don't know everything, so the burden of proof most certainly can't be on them.

And yes there still isn't an answer, it can only be shown that it is illogical to believe in a deity. Is it incorrect? Iuno, but it's certainly not a belief based around logic. Unless you've managed to meet the dude yourself.

Yes, definitely not about logic. That much, I can agree with. It takes a certain kind of person that's content with believing in something you may never see, and yet hoping that it will make things be just alright.

I don't mean that in any derogatory way, I mean it in the sense that a lot of people's belief just can't be tested that much; a lot of people lose faith, and there's nobody to blame for it, really.
---
#90SilentSoprano(Topic Creator)Posted 5/28/2012 3:00:30 PM
PippythePoop posted...
Ext_Me posted...
krazykiwikid posted...
LMAO!! "Athiests are insecure" is easily the most hilariously ironic comment of this thread. Congrats.

Its funny because the topic got derailed to because of atheists

Not really.

The religious - actually, just the Christians - expect or desire the word "god" to be capitalized. The non-religious or Atheists (and those are separate delineations) think the word "god" does not need to be capitalized.

Seriously TC, you expect the word to be capitalized (you refer to it as a "typo"; perhaps Rockstar did it on purpose) so its pretty much a given you are Christian.

This topic - and your intent, no matter what you say, or how many times you say it - was to spark the very argument that ensued.

Actually, I'm agnostic. Stop trying to act like you know what my intentions were. I already explained why I made this topic, but it's obvious it didn't turn out the way I wanted it to. There's too many idiots who are too concerned with professing their atheism or claiming there is no such thing as gods. That, and the other agnostics/theists who keep egging them on. I think there were maybe 2-3 people who actually tried to legitimately answer my question. The rest of the thread was engaged in a religious argument that had nothing to do with what I asked.