Too hard for its own good.

#1Vyse_skiesPosted 1/19/2013 8:28:04 PM
It should have been made by Remedy. Was missing their development and it kinda showed.
---
My ignore list is exclusive to trolls only. I should warn you though, it's crowded and the trolls imprisoned within are mean, anti-social and well... ignored.
#2Voltron_ForcePosted 1/19/2013 8:35:51 PM
I agree to an extent. Remedy should have at least been consulted on the story/script, and maybe art direction. Besides that, it's pretty solid. Have you tried the multiplayer modes yet?
---
XBL: Argyle snake - PS3: ???
Vagrant Story, Mark of The Ninja, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Rollcage, Grand Theft Auto 3, Left 4 Dead 2, Okami, and TimeSplitters 2.
#3stawg007Posted 1/20/2013 4:56:42 AM
The story and characters where nowhere near remedy standard and I missed the comedy segments the first two were full of

Gameplay was by far the best in the series though and the music and atmosphere, particularly the Hoboken levels was great
---
GT: lPayneToTheMaxl
#4Vyse_skies(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2013 5:54:43 AM
Not played the multi-player yet, but I'm not sure I want to after how much of a chore it is playing the main campaign. Being a huge fan of the original games, I was expecting more of the same things, now it just feels like a cover shooter. However, it's not the actually shooting that bothers me. It's the difficulty. I've been playing it on medium and friggin her, if I have to see Max die one more time. The stadium part took the biscuit. No matter what way I approached it, I always seemed to die. I got so annoyed I put the difficulty on easy, and while it is easier, it plays like what normal mode should be playing like.
---
My ignore list is exclusive to trolls only. I should warn you though, it's crowded and the trolls imprisoned within are mean, anti-social and well... ignored.
#5stawg007Posted 1/20/2013 9:56:54 AM
Vyse_skies posted...
Not played the multi-player yet, but I'm not sure I want to after how much of a chore it is playing the main campaign. Being a huge fan of the original games, I was expecting more of the same things, now it just feels like a cover shooter. However, it's not the actually shooting that bothers me. It's the difficulty. I've been playing it on medium and friggin her, if I have to see Max die one more time. The stadium part took the biscuit. No matter what way I approached it, I always seemed to die. I got so annoyed I put the difficulty on easy, and while it is easier, it plays like what normal mode should be playing like.

It is a hard game, I died numerous times on normal

You will get better though, the trick is to use bullet time at the right time and go from headshot to headshot

If you strafe whilst in bt you will never get hit except for some rare occasions
---
GT: lPayneToTheMaxl
#6UpRiSePosted 1/20/2013 11:52:36 AM
I have gone through the game on each difficulty and have completed them all. I'm finishing up hardcore now and will make it, but I'm having to play the game in small doses.

The controls and randomness really hinder the gameplay and get you killed in such frustrating ways that I need to turn off the game or I'll break a controller.

It's almost like there's a latency with the controls and whatever you push, Max needs to fulfill before moving on or executing an immediate response.
Max will over-step at times if you're moving one way and try to change directions.
Sometimes he'll do a complete spin or some other strange movement that you have no idea why it happened.
You get stuck on cover and the only way off is to roll.
Sometimes when you go into last stand, Max will be stuck or just given the worst possible camera angle that does nothing for you. At times I've had Max spinning on the floor or shot into the air after being stuck in the floor during the last stand.
The enemies are psychic and even when using bullet time, once you hit the aim button, their shots are flying. It was enemy fire on command.
You have no basis on where your aim is at all times. Blind firing is borderline useless and Max likes to pause out there for a friendly hello after I've stopped shooting, so here comes the bullet riddling.
By the time you do correct your aim, you're usually already shot. The only way to get around this is to take cheap little peaks and make small adjustments until you're on target. More work than necessary for enjoyment and they'll still pop you now and then.
I find Max's aim gets ridiculous when enemies rush up on your cover and it just gets uncontrollable and the aim slows down making it almost a guaranteed disappointment.

I enjoyed this game on easy difficulties and I'm able to get through the harder ones, but there was a lot of bs within the game and it really detracted from the experience. There were parts I had to redo that were not based on my inability to perform, but on the games lack of response or sluggishness. It's really hard to achieve goals when given the improper tools.

I slugged through it, but it could have gone so much smoother and adequately. I knew exactly what I needed to do, had my targets or gameplay figured out, then I would just have to hope the game would respond quickly enough or at all for it to follow through.

Great potential, poor performance.
#7unclekoolaid73Posted 1/20/2013 1:10:13 PM
TC you're going to hate The Shadows Rushed Me achievement if you try for it.
#8UpRiSePosted 1/20/2013 7:34:35 PM
Also, even with free aim on, the game still pulls my aim. Usually off a target I'm trying to hit or tries to get on a target running.

Free aim means FREE. Stop grabbing my aim! It seems most games, even with aim assist turned off, still try to help for some reason. I can aim myself. Outside assistance makes it worse. Leave my aim alone, please.
#9Vyse_skies(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2013 3:53:18 PM
Yeah, just beat it today and I'm not that impressed. It wasn't terrible, but it's no where near the calibre of the first two stellar titles. Shame.

Yeah, the free aim is annoying, esp considering that a bunch of achievements is based on it. :/

My main problem is still how easy Max can die. It really does require you to pretty much be in bullet time constantly when in battle. What makes the game worse is its extreme linearity. Yeah, the others were linear, but they still had some sort of exploration. That said, what is with the ridiculous grind system. Seems like they tacked on things to a game that is pretty sub par. :/

Would I have rather it ended with Max Payne 2? I am somewhat inclined to say yes despite my love for the franchise.
---
#10LazyyAmericanPosted 1/23/2013 9:18:55 PM
I've played the first two games for hundreds of hours and find this max payne to be just as much max payne as either of the first two games. It's a different game for a reason.....
---
Quite the dilemma....to coexist in a world that ostracizes you into obscurity