I know this board's dead, but I gotta ask.. why is soft lock even in this game?

#1NevercomingdownPosted 1/30/2013 10:47:34 AM
What other 3rd person shooters give you an option for a lock on? Seriously stupid and ended up dividing the community..
---
GT: Elesp || PSN: DestroyTheEnd
Ron Paul 2012: Because voting for other candidates whose main supporters are big banks and the wallstreet elite is un-American.
#2PostalDudesHerePosted 1/31/2013 2:01:00 PM
Nevercomingdown posted...
What other 3rd person shooters give you an option for a lock on? Seriously stupid and ended up dividing the community..

pretty much all R* games. and wasn't this whole elitist "everyone should have to use free aim" argument done to death months ago?
---
bet you didn't think you'd die today? SURPRISE!
#3majormPosted 2/1/2013 6:27:37 AM

Well other 3rd person shooters probably have slight aim-assist built in and just don't give you the option.

I know having played a lot of Gears and Mass Effect, the aiming in those games is super tight. No doubt some built in aim assist just like in FPS games.

I have not yet played MP3 with any lock but I know in free aim it felt really floaty. If I play it again, I'll probably go with soft lock.
---
Five million Cybermen, easy. One Doctor...now you're scared.
#4HMXTaylor_LeePosted 2/5/2013 7:37:56 AM
Because the enemies have hard lock.

At least they do on the higher difficulties. It's to keep it somewhat fair.
#5lostoutlawnbPosted 2/6/2013 1:05:46 AM
i tried soft lock for an hour, it was ok at first than started to feel too repetitive, I then switched too free aim and the game felt much more fun to me and didn't seem to get old.
#6BigCheesySanPosted 2/8/2013 9:02:17 AM
lostoutlawnb posted...
i tried soft lock for an hour, it was ok at first than started to feel too repetitive, I then switched too free aim and the game felt much more fun to me and didn't seem to get old.

Exactly. When you use lock on it's like... what's the point of even playing - it's just "left trigger, right trigger" over and over again - no need to aim at anything.

And I find it easier to get head shots in free aim since the game is not pulling my reticle in a particular direction automatically.

Andy why is the word "reticle" not in the spell check for a gaming website.... ?!
#7Nevercomingdown(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 3:23:24 AM
^ Agree with you guys 100%. Lock on makes it feel almost robotic. It takes almost half the gameplay out of a shooter, aiming.

PostalDudesHere posted...

pretty much all R* games. and wasn't this whole elitist "everyone should have to use free aim" argument done to death months ago?

I wouldn't call those "3rd person shooters," they're more like 3rd person free roam games. Max Payne 3 is a shooter, just like MP1 and 2. There is a lot of emphasis on gunplay here and they throw in a lock on mode? This isn't Zelda or Metroid Prime, or even GTA 3 where the aiming and camera is so poor that it was a necessity.

All soft lock has done is split up the community and killed the game faster.

HMXTaylor_Lee posted...
Because the enemies have hard lock.

At least they do on the higher difficulties. It's to keep it somewhat fair.

Not sure what you're talking about.. playing through on Hardcore and it seems perfectly fair to me.
---
GT: Elesp || PSN: DestroyTheEnd
Ron Paul 2012: Because voting for other candidates whose main supporters are big banks and the wallstreet elite is un-American.
#8Creeping_DarkPosted 2/12/2013 1:29:22 AM
Yeah, I started the game with soft-lock, expecting it to be a good balance since it's the middle option, but's just way too strong. It not only trivialises the combat to an extent, but it becomes a crutch. I recently gave the game another run with free aim and actually found it easier. It's because soft-lock didn't train me properly and I wasn't pushed to learn. I simply relied on it to get body shots whereas with free aim I'm obviously going for the head. Being able to freely select your targets instead of snapping to whatever the game decides is also helpful.
---
emptiness is loneliness and loneliness is cleanliness and cleanliness is godliness and god is empty just like me
#9HMXTaylor_LeePosted 2/12/2013 7:45:49 AM
I have finished the game on all of it's difficulties on Free Aim, but I know that on the higher difficulties, you have approximately one to one-and-a-half seconds of time to peek out from cover and get a shot on an enemy before you start taking damage. If they pop out from cover to shoot, they rarely miss.

Ergo, the enemies have a hard-lock. Or a permanent reticle on their screen, even while in cover, that shows where they will be aiming if they pop out from cover. Something the player does not have.

You do have painkillers to go "Down but not out" (not on old school), but the enemies have superior numbers and infinite ammo to balance that out.

The only thing in the game that is constantly in your favor is Bullet Time, which depletes at an astonishing rate the higher the difficulty.