Does anyone else find the aiming difficult?

#1B0vrilPosted 3/14/2013 12:04:35 PM
I got this game on release & played through the SP on normal. I had mixed feelings about, it was fun but it could also be quite mechanically frustrating.

I recently bought the game again & I am enjoying the Arcade Mode, but I am still finding it annoying trying to actually aim. Something about it just never felt right; half of the time I just can't quite get the aim where I want it.

Also when Max is in cover, trying to pop out & shoot can be quite tricky because I can't see where the reticule is going show up.

Has anyone else found this?

Also what control settings you use?
#2LatchKeyKidPosted 3/14/2013 9:52:03 PM
I just bought and completed the game this week and loved it. I used free aim and I thought the aiming was just fine, except on any gun with a laser scope, I miss the white/red dot with them. It made the first part of the last level frustrating as that's all the enemies there dropped.
---
FFXI Lakshmi Server: Walsh
#3Rome218Posted 3/16/2013 3:06:49 AM
I had to raise the sensitivity. It's at 7/7/7. It feels great for playing single player.

Also on weapons with lasers, press the back button and it will turn to the normal. Also I recommend just using the white dot for every weapon. Even if you have a shotgun, it seems to be better if you have the white dot directly over someone's face.

It's the same aiming as RDR. I don't think there is the kind of aim assist on RDR though, so you have to practice and get better.
---
I served 8, in war... my father served 23, in war... both of my grandfathers served, in war. WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm, GWoT, etc. - ScarecrowES
#4AYB1882Posted 3/16/2013 4:11:59 PM
Rome218 posted...
Also on weapons with lasers, press the back button and it will turn to the normal

I did not know this. Thanks for the tip.
---
Not changing signature until I get all your base.
#5presea_loverPosted 3/16/2013 8:11:47 PM
I should switch to free aim next time I play it. The weak auto-aim function seems to make the game harder, and yet there were some sections I don't know how I could have done them without the snap-to-target left trigger function. So I dunno, the mechanics of this game frustrating me compared to MP1 and 2.
---
"If less is more, just think how much more more will be!" - Dr. Frasier Crane
http://www.backloggery.com/main.php?user=presea_hater
#6stawg007Posted 3/17/2013 4:29:21 AM
Free aim is how the game should be played

It does take quite a while to get good with aiming in this though
---
lPayneToTheMaxl
#7B0vril(Topic Creator)Posted 3/17/2013 7:17:39 AM
Yea, I guess it's just practice.

But yea, as I was saying the most difficult thing is shooting out from cover, because I can't see where the reticule will land until max fully pops out, so I am always off target & often don't notice until I've unloaded a few rounds; the little dot can be hard to spot at times.

AYB1882 posted...
Rome218 posted...
Also on weapons with lasers, press the back button and it will turn to the normal

I did not know this. Thanks for the tip.

aw hell, I didn't know this either! I Only just recently realized that pressing the back button turns off the flash light on weapons as well.

stawg007 posted...
Free aim is how the game should be played

Don't be silly. There is no "way the game should be played". The difficult levels & aim assist are there so that every one can enjoy the game no matter their skill level.

You might love free aim, but plenty of people would find it pointlessly frustrating.
#8AYB1882Posted 3/17/2013 4:34:00 PM
B0vril posted...
Don't be silly. There is no "way the game should be played". The difficult levels & aim assist are there so that every one can enjoy the game no matter their skill level.

You might love free aim, but plenty of people would find it pointlessly frustrating.

True. I started out with soft lock in MP until I was familiar with the maps. Not having to worry about aiming meant more emphasis on movement, finding good vantage points, and places where I can flank and ambush people. Once I got comfortable with that, then I stepped up to free aim.

Also, the soft lock is also a pain in the later single-player levels, when more enemies start wearing body armor. It locks onto center of mass, so you have to waste a second to line up a head shot.
---
Not changing signature until I get all your base.
#9presea_loverPosted 3/19/2013 9:57:52 AM
Exactly! The soft lock is very annoying, but at the same time I don't know the levels well enough to play without it because enemies have scary accuracy.
---
"If less is more, just think how much more more will be!" - Dr. Frasier Crane
http://www.backloggery.com/main.php?user=presea_hater
#10ChisokaPosted 3/22/2013 4:49:25 PM
I've just started playing this (picked it up for under 15), and I'm finding the aiming very awkward on Free Aim, the reticule going all over the place - far too sensitive - and by the time I've zeroed in on an enemy's face, Max is shot to shreds by the multitude of super-accurate enemies in video-gaming history.

The major gripe I have with the game is the awful cover system (yes, I know this isn't a cover-based shooter, but still....) and that by the time I've worked out where the enemies are, it's game over. Most of the time I have absolutely no idea where they are and where I need to focus my fire on. Soft-lock helps a bit with this, but I'm finding the combat more annoying and frustrating than fun.

Not a bad game, but I'm glad I didn't pay full price for this on release and waited until now. maybe it's worth it for the MP, but I don't bother with MP in any of the games I have, and for Single Player the campaign seems rather short as well. Great graphics, story and voice acting however.