Does anyone else find the aiming difficult?

#11B0vril(Topic Creator)Posted 3/23/2013 5:02:11 AM
Chisoka posted...
I've just started playing this (picked it up for under 15), and I'm finding the aiming very awkward on Free Aim, the reticule going all over the place - far too sensitive - and by the time I've zeroed in on an enemy's face, Max is shot to shreds by the multitude of super-accurate enemies in video-gaming history.

The major gripe I have with the game is the awful cover system (yes, I know this isn't a cover-based shooter, but still....) and that by the time I've worked out where the enemies are, it's game over. Most of the time I have absolutely no idea where they are and where I need to focus my fire on. Soft-lock helps a bit with this, but I'm finding the combat more annoying and frustrating than fun.

Not a bad game, but I'm glad I didn't pay full price for this on release and waited until now. maybe it's worth it for the MP, but I don't bother with MP in any of the games I have, and for Single Player the campaign seems rather short as well. Great graphics, story and voice acting however.

Yes, this is very much what I find with the game; It can be a very mechanically frustrating.

You should check out the sensitivity settings the options, they are fairly comprehensive.

Another thing I've found, with Free Aim at least, is that it's not always necessary to be using LT to aim, as you can shoot pretty sufficiently single handed, but you can also move faster which makes you harder target to hit.

I'd actually recommend that you, rather than plough through the Story, you jump into the "Score Attack", in the "Arcade mode".

You unlock chapters for Score Attack as you complete them from the story, so just find yourself a chapter & play it over & over. I'd recommend the Stadium, it's a lengthy chapter, but it's a got a good assortment of challenges; not just combat, but weapon & ammo management as well.

I have found it's a great way to learn how to approach combat. Obviously it pays to know the level, but I think once you get to grips with how it plays you'll be more prepared for the Story, and enjoy it more.

I think the cover system is "poor" by design, because as you said it's not a cover based shooter, so you need to use cover as a way to pace your attack, rather than as a means to lay down fire from.
#12ChisokaPosted 3/24/2013 6:13:20 PM
Finished the game today - medium difficulty and soft lock. The final boss was bloody horrible to get past, taking between 20-30 tries. I tried a few levels on easy difficulty with free aim, but for me that's just impossible; even in bullet time it takes ages for me to lock onto just one target and take him out, and if I'm lucky enough to do that my bullet time is almost completely gone.Not even going to bother with hard, old school or hardcore difficulties, the game's difficulty level is set way too astronomically high for me.
#13Rome218Posted 3/27/2013 11:42:46 AM
Chisoka posted...
Finished the game today - medium difficulty and soft lock. The final boss was bloody horrible to get past, taking between 20-30 tries. I tried a few levels on easy difficulty with free aim, but for me that's just impossible; even in bullet time it takes ages for me to lock onto just one target and take him out, and if I'm lucky enough to do that my bullet time is almost completely gone.Not even going to bother with hard, old school or hardcore difficulties, the game's difficulty level is set way too astronomically high for me.

I think the game is easier if you practice free aim. I said it earlier about adjusting the sliders, it does not feel as comfortable as many other shooters, so use slow mow to land headshots fast.

I'm not sure if it's the same as the multiplayer co-op, but I was playing the Dead Man Walking DLC with my friend with soft lock today, enemies seem to take longer to kill and headshots didn't seem to kill them the first time. It may be they were made to be bullet sponges on-line, I'm not sure.

I do not that you can clear out an entire room in a couple of moments in MP3 if you get good at free aim. Enemies die really fast.
---
I served 8, in war... my father served 23, in war... both of my grandfathers served, in war. WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm, GWoT, etc. - ScarecrowES