Do you need to play Max Payne 1 and 2 to understand and enjoy Max Payne 3?

#1flyingtorso2Posted 5/7/2012 6:53:51 PM
Hi, I'm pretty new to the Max Payne series and I have only played bits and parts of the first two so I have some knowledge on the characters and the plot. I have a very busy schedule and I will not have time to replay both Max Payne 1 and 2 before the release of Max Payne 3 which looks fantastic. Do you guys think it's absolutely necessary for me to play the first 2 before I even touch the third? Or can you play Max Payne 3 with only a little knowledge on the characters and plot and still understand it and enjoy it?
#2Nathan2486Posted 5/7/2012 9:23:50 PM
I highly doubt it. They will more than likely give a brief back story as you play. There's really not that much to it anyway. Max Payne's family was murdered by junkies on a new drug and he feels guilty that he couldn't protect them. He then tries to avenge their deaths by going after the kingpins that were pushing the new drug, but it never really brought him any peace.
---
PSN - GorgeousDre
I am the original finder of the "C-word" on the Heavy Rain "Mall" video @ 3:04. What has been heard, can't be unheard...
#3ddirksPosted 5/8/2012 1:31:28 AM
No. The post above describes the set-up. Max is a solitary guy so there aren't other characters or plot points you need to know. Hope you enjoy the game!
---
Don't follow leaders, watch the parking meters.
#4lionhartwolfPosted 5/8/2012 6:19:34 AM
i dont think their core audience was old enough to play 1 and 2 when it came out (assuming their core audience isnt 30 and assuming you were old enough to purchase a M rated game)
#5flyingtorso2(Topic Creator)Posted 5/8/2012 7:09:50 PM
Thanks for the quick answers! I think I'm definitely going to get this day 1. I'm a huge Rockstar fan and any game they seem to make is always amazing so I have full confidence in this. Even the multiplayer looks pretty cool.
#6magiceddie05Posted 5/9/2012 10:45:54 PM
didn't everyone die in max payne 1 and 2 ? i was wondering how a third game would have been possible. but i'm glad they did.
#7EmptyPosted 5/10/2012 12:01:24 AM
To fully enjoy it? Yes.
---
...and they hummed of mystery.
More topics from this board...
playstation storegoodguy600017/27 5:51PM