Terrible load times

#1LovingPacifistPosted 5/24/2012 11:39:42 PM
So I made the mistake of replaying the first level thinking I could skip the movie sequences in between and now I'm being held hostage through 10 minutes of a movie sequence I didn't want to rewatch with no option of exiting while the game tells me it's "still loading".

Terrible setup Rockstar. The game itself is fun and the story is interesting but this kind of crap is amateur.
---
Peace....loving....and Understanding
- The Three Fundamental Elements of Pacifism.
#2Crimson SkysPosted 5/24/2012 11:54:04 PM
It's not amateur. I'd rather watch a cutscene while the game is loading rather than sit through a loading screen. I wish more games did the same thing.
---
"You spoony bard!" -- Tellah (Final Fantasy IV)
#3LovingPacifist(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2012 12:03:34 AM
Which is a stupid excuse considering I wanted the game to abort what it was loading so it could return me to the menu. Lots of games pull this off without giving you no other option than sitting there and waiting. It absolutely is amateur but I expect more fanboys to come in and justify it while attacking me even though I haven't insulted the game itself.
---
#4jeremysixPosted 5/25/2012 12:18:15 AM
Alright listen, it's the same thing as a loading screen, only they figured out how to do the story cutscenes during the loading process. Do you understand? There's nothing "amateur" since you can't just press X in a loading screen and fast forward it. Learn to be patient and enjoy the story. If you are that impatient then play arcade mode where they took out the longer scenes. If you love the game like you say then maybe try to realize there's a reason it does this.
---
PSN: kingdutch
"Are you gonna do somethin' or just stand there and bleed?"
#5SpeedJunkie79Posted 5/25/2012 12:26:01 AM
To back out of a long cutscene, just quit to the xmb. Done it a few times, game loads your last save perfectly fine.
#6EmptyPosted 5/25/2012 12:28:51 AM
I agree, for a 5GB install the load times are inexcusable.
---
...and they hummed of mystery.
#7SpeedJunkie79Posted 5/25/2012 12:49:23 AM
Empty posted...
I agree, for a 5GB install the load times are inexcusable.

I don't mind the actual load times so much, the game runs well and looks gorgeous, with minimal pop-in and a lot of attention to details. What does bug me is what the TC mentioned: once a cutscene starts, there's no option to quit out of it. Obviously since it's loading the next level you can't skip it, but it would be nice to have the option to quit to main menu at any point in time (including cutscenes).
#8againstypePosted 5/25/2012 5:17:54 AM
Though some times its just loading the next sequence, which may be as much as you walking down a hallway and pushing a button...only to go into another cut scene, that is covering for loading. I started doing some replays today, to get all the Clues and Golden Guns, and the most tedious part was rewatching the cut scene that i am no longer interested in...even from chapter select, where you pick the checkpoint, it loads...only to take me directly to a cut scene that is also loading. WTF?

Same with Arcade...there shouldn't be cutscenes, just load the damn sequence and let me run through it. Why not just have a score running through the story, if its going to be like this.

all of this, from a 5gb install. I mean, it's not an open world...and lets be honest, there are a lot (A LOT) of details they didn't include or have...tons of missed opportunities.

and, to clarify, i'm not bashing the game. I had fun with it (until the last few chapters), but it's not the masterpiece everyone claims it to be. Just a good game, nothing more. R* gets way too much credit these days.
#9LovingPacifist(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2012 10:48:03 AM
jeremysix posted...
Alright listen, it's the same thing as a loading screen, only they figured out how to do the story cutscenes during the loading process. Do you understand? There's nothing "amateur" since you can't just press X in a loading screen and fast forward it. Learn to be patient and enjoy the story. If you are that impatient then play arcade mode where they took out the longer scenes. If you love the game like you say then maybe try to realize there's a reason it does this.

Alright, listen. I am much, MUCH smarter and more experienced in life than you are. There is NOTHING you have ever observed that aim haven't. I don't need you to state the obvious when I already addressed it prior to your post just because you're too illiterate to see the damn thing. I probably should have addressed this crap defense in my first post since I knew people would be raising to the game's defense with it, but you probably would have glazed over that anyway.

Glad to see not everyone on this board is brain dead.
---
#10LovingPacifist(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2012 10:49:34 AM
SpeedJunkie79 posted...
To back out of a long cutscene, just quit to the xmb. Done it a few times, game loads your last save perfectly fine.

This is actually useful advice, it's just ridiculous to have to resort to this. Like bypassing the auto save death in Demon Souls.
---