They should have called this game Half Dead

#1almasbabyPosted 5/29/2012 9:54:30 AM
That's what I am half the time. As soon as I find me some painkillers I gobble them up. I don't think I've been able to accumulate more than 4 at a time. In the last Max Payne game I would pass them up because I was often maxed out... with 8! Tough game.
#2jeff435Posted 5/29/2012 9:56:02 AM
step your game up
---
XBL/PSN : Lunch Business
#3EVE6 FANPosted 5/29/2012 10:02:56 AM
Thats how its always been, since the first game. I like it. You have a constant feeling of dread, usually half dead with one pain killer left, not knowing when you'll run into more. Then you get into a gunfight, and you have to shoot accurately and use your PK's smartly.

Usually the game will give you PK's after a firefight or two, so as long as you are moving forward, you'll get more.
---
I have learned that pleasing everyone is impossible. But pissing everyone off is easy and funny as hell. Will Ferrell
#4mattdawg81Posted 5/29/2012 10:29:47 AM
Yea, this game is very difficult (on hard) in the latter part of the game, but I really enjoyed every minute of it. Great game, but I shudder to think of me attempting Hardcore mode let alone Old School mode. I think Hard mode may have been my limit lol.
---
PSN ID: MattZR1_81
DkS - SL138 (NG++), SL83 / DS - SL71 (NG+)
#5IKnowGameFuPosted 5/29/2012 11:22:08 AM
I started noticing I got painkillers the more times that I died at the same part. It was humiliating. When I started noticing that I would start it over fresh.
---
"you dawg i heard you like watching TV so i put a TV in your TV so you can watch TV while you watch TV" --- the_great_tidus on 360 TV
#6kissdadookiePosted 5/29/2012 11:59:24 AM
almasbaby posted...
That's what I am half the time. As soon as I find me some painkillers I gobble them up. I don't think I've been able to accumulate more than 4 at a time. In the last Max Payne game I would pass them up because I was often maxed out... with 8! Tough game.

How about almost always dead instead? That's the state I'm usually in since my first playthrough I had set it on Hard, turned off any aim assist/lock, set the reticule to be weapons specific, and turned off highlight items. I did not realize that the AI is completely cheap and the cover system is almost completely useless. The bullet time is almost completely useless as well.

Not an easy game at all I must say. I mean, the only time that I had a ton of painkillers accumulated was at the last part of the warehouse mission in Brazil, right after I blew up the drug house. The only reason I had so many painkillers at the end of that chapter was because the game glitched and Max wouldn't aim properly or display his health/ammo/weapons menus so I basically had unlimited health and ammo at that point. Makes me wish that the game would glitch like that more often (like, where the heck were you glitch when I needed you the most whilst trying to protect the computer geek?!?).
#7EVE6 FANPosted 5/29/2012 12:05:24 PM
kissdadookie posted...
almasbaby posted...

How about almost always dead instead? That's the state I'm usually in since my first playthrough I had set it on Hard, turned off any aim assist/lock, set the reticule to be weapons specific, and turned off highlight items. I did not realize that the AI is completely cheap and the cover system is almost completely useless. The bullet time is almost completely useless as well.

Not an easy game at all I must say. I mean, the only time that I had a ton of painkillers accumulated was at the last part of the warehouse mission in Brazil, right after I blew up the drug house. The only reason I had so many painkillers at the end of that chapter was because the game glitched and Max wouldn't aim properly or display his health/ammo/weapons menus so I basically had unlimited health and ammo at that point. Makes me wish that the game would glitch like that more often (like, where the heck were you glitch when I needed you the most whilst trying to protect the computer geek?!?).

You play your first time on hard, and its a game series that is notoriously difficult, and you complain because its hard... why dont you just start on normal? The game is tough enough, especially with no aim assist.

And as far as bullet time and cover being useless; no. practice more, neither is useless, especially bullet time. You're probably playing it like gears of war or something.
---
I have learned that pleasing everyone is impossible. But pissing everyone off is easy and funny as hell. Will Ferrell
#8mattdawg81Posted 5/29/2012 12:14:14 PM(edited)
After playing both MP1 and 2 on the harder difficulties, I kind of knew what I was getting into. Of course, I forgot how cheap the enemies could be in those games on the higher difficulties and this was no exception. I swear they have psychic abilities lol. I got killed in this game almost as much as Dark Souls I think, and that is saying a lot.
---
PSN ID: MattZR1_81
DkS - SL138 (NG++), SL83 / DS - SL71 (NG+)
#9kissdadookiePosted 5/29/2012 12:29:33 PM
EVE6 FAN posted...
kissdadookie posted...
almasbaby posted...

You play your first time on hard, and its a game series that is notoriously difficult, and you complain because its hard... why dont you just start on normal? The game is tough enough, especially with no aim assist.

And as far as bullet time and cover being useless; no. practice more, neither is useless, especially bullet time. You're probably playing it like gears of war or something.

Are you flipping kidding me? WHEN THE HELL DID MAX PAYNE BECOME A NOTORIOUSLY HARD GAME SERIES?!? Come on now, Max Payne 1 & 2 WERE NOT hard games. Once you've wrapped your head around the bullet time/dodging mechanics, you were golden in those games. The bullet time/dodging in Max Payne 3 is next to useless. The cover mechanics are practically useless since the majority of cover is destructible AND the AI have incredibly cheap and deadly accuracy.

I'm not the only one acknowledging the cover and bullet time mechanics in Max Payne 3 to be almost completely useless. It's been noted NUMEROUS times that the AI is basically unfairly accurate. It's been noted NUMEROUS times that bullet time/dodge in Max Payne 3 is more for show than for practicality. As for your statement of Max Payne being known as a notoriously hard game series and myself complaining about it, I'm going to go and throw it out there, but are you that bad of a gamer which in turn games like Max Payne 1 & 2 magically became notoriously difficult games? LoL. Seriously, I really am questioning if you actually played Max Payne 1 & 2 when those games first came out on PC. I sure as heck did, I built computers from scratch just to run those games on max settings (I forgot if it was Max Payne or if I had built my systems a little before Max Payne to run other games like Quake or whatever was out at the time, it's been so long ago).
#10EVE6 FANPosted 5/29/2012 12:52:19 PM
kissdadookie posted...

Are you flipping kidding me? WHEN THE HELL DID MAX PAYNE BECOME A NOTORIOUSLY HARD GAME SERIES?!? Come on now, Max Payne 1 & 2 WERE NOT hard games. Once you've wrapped your head around the bullet time/dodging mechanics, you were golden in those games. The bullet time/dodging in Max Payne 3 is next to useless. The cover mechanics are practically useless since the majority of cover is destructible AND the AI have incredibly cheap and deadly accuracy.

I'm not the only one acknowledging the cover and bullet time mechanics in Max Payne 3 to be almost completely useless. It's been noted NUMEROUS times that the AI is basically unfairly accurate. It's been noted NUMEROUS times that bullet time/dodge in Max Payne 3 is more for show than for practicality. As for your statement of Max Payne being known as a notoriously hard game series and myself complaining about it, I'm going to go and throw it out there, but are you that bad of a gamer which in turn games like Max Payne 1 & 2 magically became notoriously difficult games? LoL. Seriously, I really am questioning if you actually played Max Payne 1 & 2 when those games first came out on PC. I sure as heck did, I built computers from scratch just to run those games on max settings (I forgot if it was Max Payne or if I had built my systems a little before Max Payne to run other games like Quake or whatever was out at the time, it's been so long ago).

I played them both and they definitely were not easy. Not as hard as this, (though last stand makes that point arguable i think) but i think that was more because keyboard and mouse is much easier for shooters than a controller; i remember being able to rotate in circles several times during a single dive, but thats the control you get from KB&M. But maybe its just me, but i remember being just as low and desperate for painkillers in the first two, but it has been almost 10 years.

I think if you (relax, first of all) and look at those topics, the same people that say the cover is mostly useless were still able to find ways around it. Its not necessary, (this isnt Gears) its more for when you want to use it. For me, the majority of the game was being behind improvised cover, like basic walls, and using the camera itself to look around corners. (Like i did in the first 2, since it has no cover mechanic) This works really well. There seems to be a glitch where you can get to the edge of some cover and as long as your dot is on the enemy and red, you can shoot them and they can hit you. Kind of cheap, but it works. Just practice, dude. Believe me, i played my first playthrough on normal, and going through on hard im actually managing better than i did on normal my first time.
---
More topics from this board...
We still love you, Max!!!Heazie111/20 3:04PM