100% Completion?

#1FF_FiendPosted 12/16/2009 12:49:49 PM
Where do you guys stand on the train collecting as part of 100%?

Does 100% mean having every single train part, or optimizing your train to the gold level?

Discuss.
#2Begin_AnewPosted 12/16/2009 12:50:52 PM
every single train part
---
Pre-Hooktail Runs attempted: 6, Pre-Hooktail runs completed: 0 (D:), Highest floor completed: 99
#3KarmaCowPosted 12/16/2009 12:51:00 PM
I guess it amounts to personal definitions but I'd say if you're missing something, you're not at 100%.
---
But you took that paddle, and smacked me in the face, and I wear my heart on my sleeve, so when I wiped my face, I got heart all over it. - Abe Lincoln*
#4game_pro232Posted 12/16/2009 12:51:27 PM
all train parts, not just upgrading to gold
---
2% of GameFAQs users have this in their signature. If you're one of the 98% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
#5someflamablekidPosted 12/16/2009 12:52:00 PM
& heart containers and rabbits
---
Don't ask if I am flammable, because I have already demonstrated eleven times to prove it.
#6SpazetPastroniPosted 12/16/2009 12:52:13 PM
100% is 100%, :| Train parts are collectible items, so they count towards 100%, Rupees however do not.
#7FF_Fiend(Topic Creator)Posted 12/16/2009 1:00:44 PM
I'll play the devil's advocate for a minute.

I completed the game and got everything, so far as I'm aware, but drew the line at getting every train part. And I'll tell you why. To me, 100%-ing means complete optimization. For example, in Ocarina of time, you can get an early Biggoron sword from a massive Goron that breaks after 100 uses or something of the sort. It's later replaced by performing the actual Biggoron Sword quest. I don't consider getting the early Biggoron sword necessary to consider that game at 100% completion, as the TRUE Biggoron Sword replaces it. The gold train parts, as the optimal parts in the game, replaces the other parts.

Now. Having said that. I think that having the other parts would be necessary if and only if these conditions were met:

1.) You got some sort of reward for getting all of them (even if it were just a bag of rupees and a handshake.

2.) You could equip ALL train parts at once, forming a massively long train, turning Spirit Tracks into that snake game for oldschool PC's. The reason I say this is that for items to count to 100% completion, they have to be in your carry-on inventory at all times. That's just my opinion of course. But I do think anything that you have to go to a specific town to switch (and that would actually detract from your train's heart-value, for instance) would not count towards my definition of 100%.

Sorry for that hideously long explanation of my views.
#8yzmanPosted 12/16/2009 1:51:29 PM

I'll play the devil's advocate for a minute.

I completed the game and got everything, so far as I'm aware, but drew the line at getting every train part. And I'll tell you why. To me, 100%-ing means complete optimization. For example, in Ocarina of time, you can get an early Biggoron sword from a massive Goron that breaks after 100 uses or something of the sort. It's later replaced by performing the actual Biggoron Sword quest. I don't consider getting the early Biggoron sword necessary to consider that game at 100% completion, as the TRUE Biggoron Sword replaces it. The gold train parts, as the optimal parts in the game, replaces the other parts.

Now. Having said that. I think that having the other parts would be necessary if and only if these conditions were met:

1.) You got some sort of reward for getting all of them (even if it were just a bag of rupees and a handshake.

2.) You could equip ALL train parts at once, forming a massively long train, turning Spirit Tracks into that snake game for oldschool PC's. The reason I say this is that for items to count to 100% completion, they have to be in your carry-on inventory at all times. That's just my opinion of course. But I do think anything that you have to go to a specific town to switch (and that would actually detract from your train's heart-value, for instance) would not count towards my definition of 100%.

Sorry for that hideously long explanation of my views.

The reason that your view is incorrect is because the train parts all have different locations on your collection screen so without them all you have blank spaces on your collection screen. They are not overwritten.
---
"As I was walking up the stairs, I met a man who wasn't there, he wasn't there again today, i wish I wish he'd go away."