Battle mage tips....

#1shin609Posted 7/1/2011 9:49:33 PM
I just bought this game today and I'm a little lost in character making. I'm trying to make a scythe battle mage that can do a lot of damage but I'm not exactly sure what to look for stat/skill wise. Any tips?
---
Phantasy Star Portable 2 char name:SETSUNA
MHTri: Setsuna/U.S. sever /HR 80
#2pearldragon28Posted 7/1/2011 9:59:51 PM
http://agarest.wikia.com/wiki/Strategy

The short answer is you kind of need everything up to a point. I recommend you use PP to boost your VIT as early as soon as possible because it affects HP growth. You could then level up and distribute points into INT or STR depending on whether or not you want to focus on Physical or Magic attacks.
#3ZaishiPosted 7/2/2011 11:51:56 AM
You can't make a scythe battlemage. You can pick battlemage and pick the cards to get scythes, but the scythe weapon type will override your battlemage choice and you will just be a sorcerer with mediocre growths.

If you do pick another type of battlemage (like sword and staff) it's best to pick STR or INT and focus on one of them, not both. You will gimp your damage trying to split your efforts. That's of course in regards to equipment, base stats just put into VIT.
#4shin609(Topic Creator)Posted 7/2/2011 7:16:08 PM
Zaishi posted...

If you do pick another type of battlemage (like sword and staff) it's best to pick STR or INT and focus on one of them, not both. You will gimp your damage trying to split your efforts. That's of course in regards to equipment, base stats just put into VIT.

If that's the case wouldn't it be better to choose warrior/sorcerer? What advantages would a BM have over the others?
---
PSN: shin609
MHTri: Setsuna/U.S. sever /HR 102
#5ZaishiPosted 7/2/2011 7:37:53 PM(edited)
BM weapon EXs do significantly more damage than pure type EXs. Lets say a warrior EX has a 150 physical damage rating, and a sorcerer EX has a 150 magic damage rating, a BM EX will have like 180 damage rating in BOTH physical and magic, meaning a potential rating of 360. However trying to split your stats and equipment to raise both ATK and MAG will result in lower overall damage due to defense and resists, so it's better to focus on one damage type for the 180 rating and ignore the other damage type which will be mostly negated by stronger enemies. It's still more damage. BM is the DPS class.

Edit: But again these damage ratings are defined by the weapon not the class card you pick. So even if you pick the BM card if you pick scythe as a weapon it will be sorcerer EXs.