No combat at all?

#1jammitinPosted 4/12/2009 11:19:56 AM
According to the producer they are removing combat entirely in favor of just running around evading monsters. This is a terrible idea right from the get go. I don't want to play an interactive story with puzzles. I want to play a Silent Hill game. While combat has never been at the forefront of SH. It's still a crucial part. I'll be skipping this one.
---
Riding the flow of the river of life.
#2gametypeplayerPosted 4/12/2009 12:52:37 PM
How is it a terrible idea?

Are you just afraid of change? >:)

Thought so.
#3ShackNastyPosted 4/12/2009 2:38:04 PM
Change is good, but from my viewpoint they are taking away one of the most important aspects of this series. It isn't all about killing, but it still enhances the experience.

Yeah, no combat creates more tension. However, the title doesn't say Clock Tower or Haunting Ground.

If they want change, axing combat altogether doesn't seem like a very bright idea. Especially if they actually want the game to sell...
---
"We spend our entire lives talking about this mystery: our life"
#4FeiXCitanPosted 4/12/2009 2:39:05 PM
Some people get bored of the whole, OMG AN ENEMY RUN!!! I mean look at clock tower, was cool and all, but after about 3 hours of running from enemies it just gets annoying.
---
some fear death others pray for it - Silent Hill 2
www.levelupfilms.com
#5jammitin(Topic Creator)Posted 4/12/2009 10:44:09 PM
I'm not afraid of change, but I only accept change when it's for the better. In this case it is not. Shacknasty has the right idea.
---
Riding the flow of the river of life.
#6synapse177Posted 4/12/2009 10:46:26 PM
I love the confidence behind gametypeplayer's post when it's so, so reaching for the first available argument.
---
"I mean come on, Dad. I'm almost on par with The Beatles, here."
--Jesus
#7Citan22Posted 4/13/2009 5:03:39 PM
yo FeiXCitan, sweet name, and the first name with Citan (other than mine, of course) that i've seen on gamefaqs. Although, i dont ever really visit the Xenogears board so who knows, there might be more..

As far as the no combat, i bet it'll be cool but i like to have a choice in games. i mean, all the previous silent hills gave me the choice of running from anything i wanted or fighting. each time i'd play the games i would try new styles..

i fear this game wont give me that variety. once you know all the right paths to take when running away, how will subsequent play-throughs be interesting?

a brilliant idea would be to make the first run weaponless and then upon beating it you unlock a melee weapon or two, then after beating it twice you unlock a pistol and so on...
---
"I'm quite alright, Barbara. I ran it under a cold tap."
#8GaullerPosted 4/14/2009 6:47:18 AM
We'll see.
---
B. O. Davis
#9FeiXCitanPosted 4/14/2009 11:47:29 AM
Well having thought about it more. As long as you aren't getting rushed ever 5 seconds it may not be THAT bad. From what I've read, I'm thinking it only gets bad once the Dark Silent Hill pops up.

The idea of unlocking weapons after beating it isn't a bad one, but I highly doubt that it will happen. =/
---
some fear death others pray for it - Silent Hill 2
www.levelupfilms.com
#10SinisterCamelPosted 4/25/2009 10:32:13 AM

It could be good or it could be bad, we will just have to see. My thoughts are that the game could get really boring really fast if it's just running around enemies. One aspect that I love about other SH games is that you always have the question in your head when you run into and enemy, "Run or fight?" With this game, you will not be able to make that decision and it could get pretty stale after a couple of hours.