Doesn't removing combat sort of miss the point?

#1erichduskPosted 4/22/2009 12:44:46 PM
I mean, Silent Hill had an emphasis on melee combat for one main reason-
The brutality you inflicted was just as horrific as the enemies you encountered. Most of the time you'd have to literally stomp your enemies to death. The bodies stayed as a reminder of your own violence.

Also, a lynchpin of survival horror is tapping into that, "Fight or Flight" response. If your only response is, "flight", there's no real hesitation or sense of tension. You always know what to do, since you only have one option. Not scary.

Even when that kind of game is done almost flawlessly (Clock Tower), it isn't scary. Hell, even Haunting Ground had some kind of attack. Two, in fact.

Uncertainty breeds tension. "Can I kill it? Will I fight and survive?". If the answer is a definitive "no" from beginning to end, it's just not as frightening. Not to mention that non-combat horror games sell terribly. Not the smartest innovation for a steadily sinking franchise.

A shame too. Everything else about this game looks really awesome.
---
Master cylinder!
#2Ryan_MircicPosted 4/22/2009 2:22:34 PM
I must say, I'm surprised for sure.

Just hope it doesn't turn into a Siren game or I will be peeved off. It looks as if its going in that direction though, barring the storyline and continuous gameplay (no episodes)
#3PRINCESSMAGICALPosted 4/22/2009 3:58:18 PM
I think the way they did the original SH and SH2 were perfect because there are a lot of times during those games where you just completely avoided enemies but then you have those times where you have to fight. I saw an interview on YouTube from these creators talking about how they feel fighting all the time isn't horror but the first two SH games are horror and you didn't fight all the time. I think they are going to the extreme with this game. If they were really trying to make this like the original Silent Hill, they wouldn't completely remove combat.
---
Carry Me Higher Lord, Higher Jesus - Fly Like A Bird by Mariah Carey
I Think That Their Minds Are Out To Lunch For A Little While - Vivi from Final Fantasy IX
#4C2BARBARIANPosted 4/23/2009 3:24:43 AM
If anyone can read correctly and stop whining about this it was said that you could kill enemies with fire and so far there is the ability to use flares and I am sure that since the environment is very interactive you can kill enemies using environment hazards.

That brings more intensity.

Alot of people are just useless whiners that get aggravating to keep on seeing on websites that I try to enjoy.
#5PRINCESSMAGICALPosted 4/23/2009 6:12:53 AM
I meant fighting with actual weapons. Not using the environment.
---
Carry Me Higher Lord, Higher Jesus - Fly Like A Bird by Mariah Carey
I Think That Their Minds Are Out To Lunch For A Little While - Vivi from Final Fantasy IX
#6jammitinPosted 4/23/2009 11:32:02 AM
I'm still down on the decision to remove combat entirely. I was going to get this game, but since that was announced I'll be skipping. I want a Silent Hill game. This is just going to an interactive story with no game about it. It might as well be a more advanced version of the Silent Hill Play Novel.
---
Riding the flow of the river of life.
#7Ryan_MircicPosted 4/23/2009 11:54:19 AM
I'm inclined to agree. I don't want to be using 'flares' to kill enemies. As someone said, I want to play a Silent Hill game. Taking combat away equates to a non-Silent Hill game imo. That's why I've just bought the original again. A true classic. Think I'll be skipping this one too, don't really fancy a Siren-esque game......
#8MrShackNastyPosted 4/23/2009 5:40:09 PM
I don't mind playing a horror game that isn't combat focused. That's why I bought Clock Tower 3 and Haunting Ground and I enjoyed them both for what they were.

However, this is a completely different series. Combat is a big part of the Silent Hill experience. Removing it entirely is just an incredibly idiotic idea. Running from enemies makes for a tense experience (the hallway with Maria and Pyramid Head anyone?), but having nothing but that the whole game through just aids in repetition.
#9HeatherloverPosted 4/26/2009 8:25:14 AM
sounds boring imo I played HG and CT you do is always hide,run,stall them cmon wheres the fun with that and now SH will become one of them
---
NES,Genesis,Saturn,PS1,PS2 Slim,PSP2000,PS3 Owner
PSN:
#10erichdusk(Topic Creator)Posted 5/14/2009 11:49:53 AM
If anyone can read correctly and stop whining about this it was said that you could kill enemies with fire and so far there is the ability to use flares and I am sure that since the environment is very interactive you can kill enemies using environment hazards

But are any of these more brutal and horrific than beating something to a pulp with a steel pipe? Or a plank of wood with nails sticking out?
---
Master cylinder!