Machine Gun Leveling

#1ibrake4dragonsPosted 4/17/2010 1:39:42 PM
Hello all;

Let me just say, though I'm only about two hours into RoF, and I'm loving everything about it so far. I haven't even proceeded with the game past the prologue, I've been having fun leveling and goofing off, lol. I think I've got a decent grasp on the major gameplay mechanics (the battle tutorials weren't as confusing as some made it seem, though successful Tri-Attacks are still a bit hard for me to pull off in normal battles :P).

Anywhoooo, I have one thing I just can't seem to "get" and that's exactly how Machine Guns level up. My Zephyr is still on MG level 2 while Vash and Leanne are on 3 with their main weapons. I thought all of the damage the MG user dealt as scratch would be converted to actual exp once full damage was inflicted, but I guess that's not how it goes, lol. So if anyone would care to enlighten me on the best methods to level up machine guns, or just how exactly they level up, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance :)
---
PSN - Xanadir
Currently Playing - Final Fantasy XIII, Resonance of Fate, White Knight Chronicles
#2King_ZPosted 4/17/2010 1:48:15 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#3King_ZPosted 4/17/2010 1:50:09 PM
Other weapons do appear to level faster than machine guns.

It gets easier as you gain new machine gun skills, specifically better scratch damage ratios. Just keep at it really...
#4ibrake4dragons(Topic Creator)Posted 4/17/2010 1:52:11 PM
So was I correct in assuming that once a MG user deals scratch damage, and that scratch damage is converted to full damage, the MG user gets exp based on how much scratch/full damage was dealt? Or is MG experience based solely on scratch damage dealt, just reduced in factor? (like for every 10 scratch damage = 1 exp)
---
PSN - Xanadir
Currently Playing - Final Fantasy XIII, Resonance of Fate, White Knight Chronicles
#5King_ZPosted 4/17/2010 1:57:31 PM
Damage conversion is not a factor, hence you level up directly after a turn with the MG user, not after a HG user has then taken their turn, for example.
#6RayborusPosted 4/17/2010 2:00:56 PM
Hm, my MG is actually levelling up faster than HGs. But I start all my battles with a MG and I don't even bother shooting anything until it's been scratched up good enough.
#7bhakalaPosted 4/17/2010 2:05:51 PM
One other thing I will point out is as your guns level up and you customize your guns, that in turn equals more / quicker charges. Doing full charges with MG whenever possible is the best way to level those up. Charge to full, then let loose! if you have time do it again.

Once you get high enough levels, leveling up the MG becomes easy as pie. Yesterday I was at level 35 for dual MG user, with my characters averaging around level 65. After hitting the arena hardcore for awhile with same MG in lead, and occassionally switching up weapons / team member positions, my team got up to around MG level 62 high.

Another quick way to level up your characters that most people ignore is the grenades box, since most people do not use those as often. Hit a hard enemy with MG to full scratch damage, then next user jump over them and pelt them with anything out of the grenade box. ALmost instantly jump several levels :).
#8ibrake4dragons(Topic Creator)Posted 4/17/2010 2:10:55 PM
It just seems like the full amount of scratch damage I'm dealing with the MG isn't being converted directly to exp. As I mentioned in my last post, is there some damage-to-exp factor (1/10th, 1/5th, etc.) that comes into play?

In any case, I understand more on the subject now guys, thanks for the responses. :)
---
PSN - Xanadir
#9TakFujiWara88Posted 4/17/2010 5:41:36 PM
Well Handguns get the small extra exp boost. They get the damage they actually do + the conversion damage.

Once the exp requirements go up a bit the leveling will even out. Also once you get to chapter 6-7 you can easily power level your entire party's MG level to 100 within a 2 hour span on the gold jewel in the arena.

---
"Playing Bayonetta feels like losing your virginity over and over every time you pick up the controller." ~ Echo738
#10ibrake4dragons(Topic Creator)Posted 4/17/2010 8:07:08 PM
you can easily power level your entire party's MG level to 100 within a 2 hour span on the gold jewel in the arena

*drool* that sounds heavenly (not sarcastic, lol)
Chapter 6 is apparently also where it would be best to get my money cemented at a high number (using the merchant "trick"), so it would seem I'll be spending a lot of time there; not without great rewards once all is said and done, of course. :)
---
PSN - Xanadir