Should I go for a Melee build................

#1Imrahil1234Posted 10/26/2010 9:35:20 AM
I just finished (rushed) through the game the first time, going all NCR, now I am going to go again, maybe help yes man, held the powder gangers................mix it up a bit.

Are melee builds/unarmed builds viable? My first play through I went with guns, and honestly screwed the character up and was weak. Boone did everything for me.

I cannot decide whether to go for explosives/energy weapons or unarmed/melee. Note that while I would take sneak, it really isn't my favorite play style. I am also going to get lockpick, electronics, and speech to at least 50, speech probably to 100.

So is an unarmed build viable? Is power armor a requirement for such a build to work well?
#2EmptysoulPosted 10/26/2010 9:39:31 AM
I can't speak for unarmed, but I'm currently running around with melee and it's working surprisingly well. I think I actually get hit less running in than standing back and shooting. It seems a lot of human enemies will take the time to equip a melee weapon when you get in their face and it's basically free hits for you.

Also, had a fun fight with 5 radscorpions while using a knife and I didn't get hit once, just running in and out and strafing them lol.
---
My computer consumes my soul.
I slit my wrists and offer control. -me
#3wastelandmercPosted 10/26/2010 9:39:32 AM
I think my 2nd build will be Melee/Unarmed. Its very viable in all Fallout games. This one has a ton of perks/companion skills for unarmed/melee players.

Lots of STR and END, get the sneak skill up as well. Critical strike with a Super Sledge to the head!
---
Beware of Zombies
LIVE: W4steLandMerc PSN: BDSean
#4PulpPosted 10/26/2010 9:40:37 AM
Energy is arguably the weakest of the bunch (if you do go energy, don't get Wild Wilderness, so you can get the named Gauss early).

Melee is viable. Unarmed is more fun. You probably need both anyway, for the pre-reqs to the good perks. Explosives is the one thing I haven't done yet...I'd like to try it, but definitely not on Hardcore....ammo would be a pain and I'd blow my companions all up.

---
Contest Abuse - You have lost the right to dispute or appeal further moderations.
#5wastelandmercPosted 10/26/2010 9:41:18 AM
i don't think power armor is necessary, but you'd be better served with more DT if you up in everyones face all the time
---
Beware of Zombies
LIVE: W4steLandMerc PSN: BDSean
#6NemerlightPosted 10/26/2010 9:44:57 AM
Melee has been always better than guns in Fallout games. Unarmed build in F3 was just overkill.
---
Your an idiot. - r3v0luti0n1
#7Imrahil1234(Topic Creator)Posted 10/26/2010 9:45:11 AM
Alright, think I am going to try melee, see how it goes. And confirmed bachelor :D

I have the tribal pack so the machete will be useful at first.

So 8 STR and END?

I want to go a bit higher on luck then average 7? and 7 on INT as well? good idea?
#8Lunacy182Posted 10/26/2010 9:49:01 AM
At level 4 I've been one punching everyone with my glove with knives on it. Forgot what it was called. And I can kill those armor scorpions in 2-3 hits with a lead pipe.

So yes, you should go melee.
---
The above text is the opinion of the poster.
PSN/GT: Lunacy182
#9allsublymePosted 10/26/2010 9:49:02 AM
8 str is what i did for my melee character, it's workin well for me
#10EmptysoulPosted 10/26/2010 9:50:36 AM
Here's a link to a very powerful knife you can get early in the game.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/959557-fallout-new-vegas/56832376
---
My computer consumes my soul.
I slit my wrists and offer control. -me