magnum shells vs. slugs

#1DrEchoKnightPosted 12/22/2010 2:07:29 AM
Hey all, what's the difference between magnum shotgun shells and shotgun slugs? Which one is best for which situations? Thanks.
---
A 2002 version of me created this username.
GT: EchoKnight
#2latyrxPosted 12/22/2010 2:18:08 AM
I haven't really gotten that far yet, but I assume that the shells have a spread shot and the slugs have a more direct damage.
---
Gamertag- xLATx
[Hunter]- Latyrx [Hunter ID]- PXHNP8 [HR]-63
#3Purple_CheetahPosted 12/22/2010 2:19:40 AM
Magnum shells simply add damage and add a bit more wear and tear on the weapon.
Slugs replace the buckshot/pellets with one solid ... slug, essentially a big bullet.
I'm not super into shotguns in this game so I can't exactly quote how damage is affected by the slug, but for some reason I think it just combined it into one large unit, like 7x10 becomes 70 instead. You might need to check that ingame or someone else can clarify.

Anyways, the main differences.
Magnum = slight damage increase(15%), still short ranged, damage is divided up into 7 or 14 pellets.
Slug = greater range, greater DT bypass as all damage in dumped into one "pellet", need to place your shots well.
---
Imagine a swarm of deadly hornets pouring from the devil's mouth.
Now imagine they have autocannons.
#4stormeyePosted 12/22/2010 2:19:57 AM
Magnum is basically regular buckshot with more damage.

Slug is turning a shotgun into a rifle.

Slug seems great, but in reality, if you are going to use shotgun slug, you might as well use a rifle. Even with Shotgun Surgeon (-10DT), you cannot beat Rifles with AP ammo for long range and are giving up your ability to fire shotgun with the spread effect.

However, if you are using shotguns exclusively, and nothing else, you might want to have some slugs round for longer ranges.

If you have other rifles with you, that does great damage, don't bother.
#5VileaerokPosted 12/22/2010 2:22:38 AM
Shotgun Surgeon/Cowboy + Slugs (using lever-action shotgun) is a beast. Add in sneak attack crits and just crits in general I slam through things non stop. Then upgrade to the Riot Shotgun and the damage is through the roof.
---
Pokemon HG Friend Code: 2536 9451 9800 --- Name: Aerok
*** My Nuzlocke Run - http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/960099-pokemon-heartgold-version/56485537 ***
#6LancetJades(Moderator)Posted 12/22/2010 2:50:55 AM
What's the benefit of buckshot vs. slugs? I liked to use slugs early in the game (before getting rifles other than varmint) because it provided a huge shot of power, but it's made me question what buckshot accomplishes, since it's basically damage / 7 (or 14).

Does each pellet of buckshot do full crit damage or something, so a sneak crit would do insane amounts of damage?

---
Eclipsing power is, at times, not only the instrument of demons, but also of gods.
Lost, but not forgotten.
#7stormeyePosted 12/22/2010 2:53:34 AM
Sneak crit indeed does insane amount of damage, with buckshot.

Buckshot's main purpose is to fire quickly without having to worry about accuracy too much, at a close range.
#8Purple_CheetahPosted 12/22/2010 3:00:07 AM
Don't take this as 100%, but from what I've mostly gathered around here and the wikia.
Each pellet has an individual chance to crit on its own, thus you have 7/14 chances to get a critical hit each shot. Each pellet also has its own calculations/bonuses, based on perks and whatnot. So if done right, it can lead to absolutely devastating criticals when totalled up.
That's part of the reason The Terrible Shotgun was so lethal in FO3.
---
Imagine a swarm of deadly hornets pouring from the devil's mouth.
Now imagine they have autocannons.
#9LancetJades(Moderator)Posted 12/22/2010 3:09:39 AM
I understand each pellet is calculated separately, but what I meant is why does that make it so strong? The shotguns all seem to have low crit damage (so that if each pellet has 7 damage, a crit would also do 7 or so damage), but that means that it would only equal most other guns in crit damage (roughly same crit as normal damage).

---
Eclipsing power is, at times, not only the instrument of demons, but also of gods.
Lost, but not forgotten.