How to Build The "Perfect" Character...

#1Kyle1022Posted 1/3/2011 12:25:01 AM
Let it be known that I DID do the 28 (well, now 32) perk glitch. This requires that you have the Dead Money DLC to raise the level cap and get more Skill Books. I did the glitch and selected the following perks because they stick:

Adamantium Skeleton
Better Criticals
Bloody Mess
Finesse
Grim Reaper's Sprint
Hit the Deck
Jury Rigging
Living Anatomy
Meltdown
Piercing Strike
Purifier
Silent Running
Sniper
Toughness (2x)

Then I left Goodsprings and reset my SPECIALs:

9 Strength
3 Perception
9 Endurance
1 Charisma
9 Intelligence
9 Agility (I took the Small Frame Trait, so I really had 8 Agility +1)
1 Luck

Before I re-leveled up, I rushed to the New Vegas Medical Clinic, constantly under attack so that I wouldn't have to distribute skill points before I got all the implants. I got there, got all 9 (^_^) implants, and then started distributing skill points. I took Intense Training ten times to get Perception to 7, Charisma to 3, and Luck to 8. The other perks I took were Black Widow, Educated (take at level 4), Comprehension, Tag!, Strong Back, Super Slam, and Slayer. These are how my final SPECIAL stats and skills turned out...

10 Strength
7 Perception (get to 10 by +2 Mentats, +1 Pre-War Hat)
10 Endurance
3 Charisma (get to 10 by +5 Party Time Mentats, +1 Mentats (they stack), +1 Sexy Sleepwear OR Sheriff's Duster)
10 Intelligence
10 Agility
8 Luck (get to 10 by +1 Naughty Nightwear, +1 Lucky Shades)

60 Barter (get to 100 by +20 Skill Books (5), +20 Skill Magazine)
80 Energy Weapons (get to 100 by +20 Skill Books (5))
80 Explosives (get to 100 by +20 Skill Books (5))
80 Guns (get to 100 by +20 Skill Books (5))
60 Lockpick (get to 100 by +20 Skill Books (5), +20 Skill Magazine)
60 Medicine (get to 100 by +20 Skill Books (5), +20 Skill Magazine)
80 Melee Weapons (get to 100 by +20 Skill Books (5), +20 Skill Magazine)
80 Repair (get to 100 by +20 Skill Books (5))
60 Science (get to 100 by +20 Skill Books (5), +20 Skill Magazine)
70 Sneak (get to 100 by +20 Skill Books (5), +10 Assassin's Suit OR +20 Skill Magazine)
60 Speech (get to 100 by +20 Skill Books (5), +20 Skill Magazine)
64 Survival (get to 100 by +16 Skill Books (4) +20 Skill Magazine)
90 Unarmed (get to 100 by +20 Skill Books (5))

I had to manually use Skill Points to get Unarmed to 90 to take the perk Slayer. If you don't want that perk, then save 10 points and put them into Sneak so that you don't need the Assassin's Suit or a Skill Magazine to get it to 100. You could also swap that for Medicine or Survival if you want those to permanently be at 100, but I wouldn't recommend having any of the other level 80 skills (Barter, Lockpick, Science, or Speech) to be permanently set at 100.

Sooo yeah, with this build you can pass any Skill or SPECIAL check, permanently have all combat stats (and Repair) at 100, and still have good perks. It's technically not a "perfect" build but I think it's as close as you can get to being perfect at this time. I know it's not really in the "spirit" of this game to be "perfect", but I hope this helped out some people trying to make their Courier have perfect stats.
---
GT: The Swag Patrol
#2BlazinDank4EverPosted 1/3/2011 12:30:15 AM
Very impressive, not sure if I have the dedication but others might.
---
PSN - BlazinDankAllDay
"Keep ya head up" - 2pac
#3Mike SPosted 1/3/2011 1:09:58 AM
Science has a potential 6 skill books so you can save some points there if that helps.
#4Kyle1022(Topic Creator)Posted 1/3/2011 1:37:00 AM
Science has a potential 6 skill books so you can save some points there if that helps.

Yeah, thanks for bringing it up as I forgot to mention this...you can get a bonus sixth Big Book of Science by completing the quest "That Lucky Old Sun" at HELIOS One and siding with the NCR. The tradeoff for this is that you can't use Archimedes II, so choose carefully...
---
GT: The Swag Patrol
#5MattheauPosted 1/3/2011 5:12:42 AM
I wouldn't call it perfect. You are missing out on several much more useful perks for the benefit of "look how high my stats and skills can be," which isn't super helpful in comparison to what a lot of perks offer.

I passed every stat and skill check, as well, except Barter (I can only think of one occassion where there was no alternative to the Barter choice). Most SPECIAL checks are 6-7 (easily passable with a balanced build and implants, without tons of items, equipment, etc) and it is easy to max all the skills you need if you don't level redundant weaponry.

I'd say you have a Jack of All Trades build that is worse than the average Jack of All Trades build, since you traded better perks for the very small bonuses most SPECIAL stats provide.
#6Dreadsword101Posted 1/3/2011 5:50:21 AM
"Yeah, thanks for bringing it up as I forgot to mention this...you can get a bonus sixth Big Book of Science by completing the quest "That Lucky Old Sun" at HELIOS One and siding with the NCR. The tradeoff for this is that you can't use Archimedes II, so choose carefully..."

That's incorrect. You get the Big Book Of Science by siding with Ignacio Rivas and selecting to divert the power to the entire region (Not emergency output level).

---
"HAHA! I killed Dreadsword!" MAG- Said by a random Raven LMG sprayer.
#7d100ProductionsPosted 1/3/2011 6:04:02 AM
Yeah. I'm holding off on doing anything like this til all the DLC comes out.
#8xistenz1Posted 1/3/2011 6:35:51 AM

I wish I actually read about glitches etc, before I started playing. Did same mistake in FO3 :P

#9anonsoulPosted 1/3/2011 7:53:19 AM

Can you expand a bit on how you made the trip to New Vegas Medical bypassing the forced level up ?

Which way ? You said you stayed in combat the whole way ? How did you manage that ? Once at NVMC and going in the door, did you have to get to the Dr. quickly ? I definitely want to try this.

I have made a similar character, but without optimizing specials (8 st, 7 pe, 8 end, ch 1, int 10, ag 8, lk 7). But not being able to get to NVMCi set int to 10 at respec time, then skip implants for int an ch.

I took the following perks; Hand Loader, Cowboy, Finesse, Silent Running, Math Wrath, Meltown, Plasma Spaz, Piercing strike, Paralyzing Palm, Laser Commander, Slayer, Ninja, Living anatomy, Rad Resistence, unstoppable force; So those remain after respec too. At respec I took;Intense training(3), Educated, Comprehension, Toughness(2), Gunslinger, Commando, Sniper, Better Criticals, Action Boy(x2), Grimm Reaper sprint, Nerves of steal, light touch, Solar Powered.

I am still playing around with it, trying to make generalist character that is strong in guns, ew, melee, an unarmed. If they raise the level cap another5, i figure i can add some of the explosive perks, if they do go to 40 and this exploit still works that's 6 more perks and another 85 more skill points.

note, if you clear cache before you leave goodsprings and then respec, you will stop at level 30. Save and reload the patch, and you can then level up normally.

#10Xenos AllusPosted 1/3/2011 7:55:05 AM
You don't need to be in combat.

Just hold a direction on the D-Pad, will stop you from lvling just as well.

---
There are two aspects of life: Glory and Power.
All else revolves around these.