Melee/Unarmed/Explosives Very Hard Hardcore Build

#1G4rules19Posted 5/21/2011 1:50:20 PM
The idea of this build is to start out using unarmed and melee primarily while stocking up on explosives. Once I get into the 30's I will start on boosting explosives and making them more viable. I have never created an explosives character, so PLEASE tell me how this would stack up in a hardcore mode, very hard difficulty. I didn't do any number crunching, so I would also like to know if there are even enough skill points available in this build to meet my endgame specs. Please Critique and share any advice.

S:8 (10 Implant and Remnants Power Armor)
P:5 (6 Implant) E:8 (9 Implant)
C:1 (2 Implant)
I:4 (5 Implant)
A:6 (7 Implant)
L:9 (10 Implant)

Other Implants:
NEMEAN Sub-Dermal Armor
PHOENIX Monocyte Breeder

Final Stats
Explosives: 100
Unarmed: 100
Melee: 100
Repair: 90
Speech: 70
Science: 80
Lockpick: 80
Barter: 70
Medicine: 80
Survival: 80

Traits:
Wild Wasteland

Tag!
Melee
Speech
Lockpick

Perks
2. Intense Training: Perception
4. Educated
6. Comprehension
8. Super Slam (Melee 45)
10. Finesse
12. Toughness
14. Purifier
16. Better Criticals
18. Piercing Strike (Unarmed 70)
20. Slayer (Unarmed 90)
22. Toughness
24. Stone Wall
26. Grunt (Explosives 20, Guns 40)
28. Bloody Mess
28. Jury Rigging (Repair 90)
30. Pack Rat (Barter 70)
32. Hit the Deck (Explosives 70)
34. Demolition Expert (Explosives 50)
36. Demolition Expert
38. Demolition Expert
40. Splash Damage (Explosives 70)
#2Charles7439Posted 5/21/2011 2:55:27 PM
The endurance implant doesn't give an extra implant, so there are one too many implants there. I would recommend lowering speech and barter considerably, as there are considerable boosts to them in the game. Depending on how many temporary boosts you want to use, it would be possible to get to 100 in those with a base of 54 after the books (mentats +2, party-time mentats +10, alcohol+4, clothes +10, magazine +20). Science and lockpick could also be much lower, 62 and 67 respectively after permanent boosts from books and implants (mentats +8 I think, follower's lab coat +10/ vault 3 maintenance suit +5, and magazines). There are a few other skills that could be lower, but I need to go somewhere, so I'll post about those later.
#3G4rules19(Topic Creator)Posted 5/21/2011 3:16:50 PM
I plan on using Sexy Sleepwear with mags, and thats it. I don't want to be addicted to anything save Med-X when fighting Deathclaws. I also don't want to have 30 pounds of gear and booze only meant to get minimal gains, I think it is obsessive to the point of ruining the fun of this game. I accidentally added one implant, and will buff endurance to 9 while making Strength 7. Can someone please rate this in its terms of difficulty (VERY HARD)? Also, can someone please tell me if my skill points are sufficient to meet the requirements above once I hit level 40? Thank you.
#4PensatoPosted 5/21/2011 3:33:46 PM
I had a explosive/melee build and it was one of the more fun builds I've played with. I was more focused on melee but I ended up using explosive a lot because it's really fun watching things go boom.

First problem I've noticed is that your natural End is 8 but you plan for 9 implants. You can only get up to your natural End in implants so either increase your End to 9 or don't worry about the Cha implant.

I'm not going to do the number crunching for your build either, but as long as you hunt down all the books you should be able to get pretty close to those numbers. Barter should be one of the last skills to increase and honestly pack rat isn't worth the points. Speech can also be compensated for gear and temp mags as well.

Based on the perks you've listed it looks like you're going to focus more on melee than unarmed. The real question though is how much you plan on really focusing on melee over explosives. Melee doesn't really benefit from crits, and by level 10 you should have no real problems using explosives for most of your fights and only relaying on melee for close up fights. What I'm getting at is you may not need to bother with some of the perks you've selected for melee like Slayer which requires unarmed of 90. It's kind of a wast unless you plan to do a lot of melee.

As far as perks go, pack rat isn't really worth while even on Hardcore and with a 10 Str it's just not necessary and a wast of skill points in an otherwise worthless skill. Hit the deck is kind of meh, you should be switching to melee when they come too close for explosives.

You have no real AP perks and ACT is quite good for explosives, though pretty useless for melee.

You're waiting way too long to take your demolition expert perks. I'd suggest taking at least one around level 10/12. There are plenty of explosives in the game so you don't need to wait till you're level 40 to start using them ffs.

You also don't really need comprehension so early on, you can save your books till later and get toughness at 6 which is way more useful at that level range.
#5grand_broPosted 5/21/2011 3:50:11 PM
not to be rude, but good luck playing a melee/unarmed character on VH without sneak

you're going to want silent running in there as well
---
95% of people do not believe that the rapture is coming. If you are one of the 0.01% that are going to heaven, post this in your sig.
#6G4rules19(Topic Creator)Posted 5/21/2011 4:06:41 PM
grand_bro posted...
not to be rude, but good luck playing a melee/unarmed character on VH without sneak

you're going to want silent running in there as well
---
95% of people do not believe that the rapture is coming. If you are one of the 0.01% that are going to heaven, post this in your sig.

I heard that sneak is not as viable in NV as it was in Fallout 3, especially with no overpowered Chinese stealth armor. Because I am wearing power armor, I thought it would be even worse. Even with 100 sneak, how am I supposed to sneak up on a perceptive enemy (Deathclaw, Raider) without getting spotted? Sneak makes sense on a sniper build, but I just want to know from you why it is so important for unarmed/melee. If you can convince me, I will certainly add it to my build and thank you good sir.
#7JayGood259OzPosted 5/21/2011 4:18:32 PM
Ramp up your explosives first, by the time you fully realize them you wont have any use for them, make sure you take the perk that makes you 50 percent immune to explosion damage or you will be killing yourself every time you fire a missile.
#8PensatoPosted 5/21/2011 4:36:30 PM(edited)
G4rules19 posted...

grand_bro posted...

not to be rude, but good luck playing a melee/unarmed character on VH without sneakyou're going to want silent running in there as well---95% of people do not believe that the rapture is coming. If you are one of the 0.01% that are going to heaven, post this in your sig.

I heard that sneak is not as viable in NV as it was in Fallout 3, especially with no overpowered Chinese stealth armor. Because I am wearing power armor, I thought it would be even worse. Even with 100 sneak, how am I supposed to sneak up on a perceptive enemy (Deathclaw, Raider) without getting spotted? Sneak makes sense on a sniper build, but I just want to know from you why it is so important for unarmed/melee. If you can convince me, I will certainly add it to my build and thank you good sir.

That's correct, sneak is really only useful for Perk requirements in a unarmed/melee (for ninja) build. Hell sneak is really only decent in sniper builds.

JayGood259Oz posted...
Ramp up your explosives first, by the time you fully realize them you wont have any use for them, make sure you take the perk that makes you 50 percent immune to explosion damage or you will be killing yourself every time you fire a missile.

You've go to be the worst gamer in the world if you're launching missile at an enemy that's in blast range of yourself. lol
#9G4rules19(Topic Creator)Posted 5/21/2011 4:39:32 PM
Completely revamped my old build. I put explosive perks into the lower levels and got rid of pack rat. Please critique THIS build please. I appreciate the advice people, thank you very much!

S:8 (10)
P:5 (6) E:8 (10)
C:1
I:4 (5)
A:6 (7)
L:9 (10)

Other Implants:
NEMEAN Sub-Dermal Armor
PHOENIX Monocyte Breeder

Final Stats
Explosives: 100
Unarmed: 100