Best way to kill a deathclaw

#1rpgfan656Posted 4/9/2012 3:04:03 PM
I saw a bunch of questions about this, so I figured that I would post an answer. The best way to kill a deathclaw is by getting up high in an area that they can't get to. The best possibility is climbing up a tall, wide rock. You'll feel cheap for doing it, but I can kill a deathclaw at level 1 using a 9mm pistol using this technique. Just hop up on a tall rock or try to trap them at the bottom of a cliff to pick them off with ease.

Normally, the deathclaws at the Quarry are one of the biggest problems for people (I've never heard of anyone actually going to the deathclaw cave). One of the best ways to kill them is to go up on the huge tower and rain down sniper fire while the confused deathclaws try to get up to you. If you can't snipe them out, you could also get the CZ57 Avenger or another minigun and kill them pretty quickly.

If there is no rock or you are not around the quarry, you could go to the area NW of New Vegas and get the Alien Blaster or YCS (depending on whether or not you have the wild wastelander perk). If there are only a few deathclaws around, try to shoot the toughest one with a sneak attack and back up while your companions try to take them down. While they are getting hit, try to kill all of the deathclaws.
#2RunitePosted 4/9/2012 3:16:58 PM
Max charge YCS round to the face from stealth. Or, GRX/Turbo circle-strafe with a melee weapon and Super Slam.

Funny you should mention the quarry, though; some of the most fun I ever have with energy weapons is insta-killing the Mother Deathclaw with a chain reaction of Meltdown-detonated Deathclaw Babies.
#3salandrewsPosted 4/9/2012 3:43:13 PM
Riot shotgun plus And stay back.
---
How did Buzz get to be an astronaut? It's basic math knowledge that there is nothing beyond infinity.
#4Argyle_GargoylePosted 4/9/2012 4:11:26 PM
Runite posted...
Max charge YCS round to the face from stealth. Or, GRX/Turbo circle-strafe with a melee weapon and Super Slam.

Funny you should mention the quarry, though; some of the most fun I ever have with energy weapons is insta-killing the Mother Deathclaw with a chain reaction of Meltdown-detonated Deathclaw Babies.

i know what you mean. camping out in the quarry and just figuring out all of the different cool ways to handle the DCs is tons of fun. i really enjoy explosives.
---
Slaughter is the best medicine.
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/7944/argylegargoyle.jpg - artwork by masterpug53
#5DeathToBoonePosted 4/9/2012 4:17:30 PM
Bet way to kill a deathclaw: KO it with golden gloves, cover with grenades, explode, tbag
---
Users who share my hatred for Craig Boone: 4
//NVBM//
#6ApolloCreedPosted 4/9/2012 4:23:25 PM
Shotgun Surgeon and a big ass Shotgun.

---
"This game is like picking your ASS and then picking your nose!"
#7nighthawk247Posted 4/9/2012 6:26:03 PM
DeathToBoone posted...
Bet way to kill a deathclaw: RUN LIKE F***ING HELL!
---
My rule in life is simple, Power is only for ones who can control it. I'm a leader!
#8RampagingwalrusPosted 4/9/2012 6:36:08 PM
Hit it with a stick!
---
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
#9MasterGakkePosted 4/9/2012 8:04:49 PM
The AI is onto the elevation trick this time around, try again. Enemies without long range capability will run away from you if they can't attack you.

The way to get around it is to use their inability to fall like any distance at all. So you backpedal up a hill while firing or recharging AP and when the Deathclaw gets close you jump off a small ledge. Then you get free shots while it has to go around and then find another ledge and start all over again.

In the Quarry there's a conveyor belt thing you can run up and jump off over and over again to buy yourself space while you shoot the Deathclaws. It's way easier than camping on the crane and trying to hit all the Deathclaws at extreme long range while they're running around.
---
Mind the gap.
#10jakezing33Posted 4/9/2012 8:27:59 PM
no armor, with a hand saw

still not sure how i killed it
---
Currently Playing: Europa Universalis III, Final Fantasy XIII-2 & Chrono Trigger DS
Xbox: Ssteiner209 | Steam: jakezing