My thoughts as to perks and now traits (regarding Fallout 3 on perks...)

#1LtMessiahDM504Posted 9/15/2010 6:26:55 PM
I don't know about any of you but when I first heard about getting perks every level I was curious as to what they might be. Then I see the video of Roy getting a live grenade reverse pickpocketed onto him....

I thought all perks would do stuff like that. Grant you unique abilities....yet half or more were just boost in skill points for Fallout 3.

Im seeing similar things with traits for NV. I haven't checked out if they released perks lists yet but I wish they would get creative with it. Same to Bethesda. To further differentiate characters make some of these cool things we ALL can do, not something we all can do...and come up with some new fun things...

I was interested to see traits as something new and exciting and they all look very bland. Pros and Cons? Wow this is going to be interesting.... same thing. + Perception while wearing sunglasses! Con? -Perception while not..... seriously?
---
Perhaps later. Trying to determine how scale-itch got onto Normandy. Sexually-transmitted disease. Only carried by varren. Implications unpleasant.
#2WhordePosted 9/15/2010 6:38:55 PM
There are several perks that allow you to do unique things like Mr Sandman, Animal Friend 2 and Mysterious Stranger spring to mind right off. As for traits they you seem to have missed the point, you complain they are minor pros/cons but thats the point. They arent game changers ( except Wild Wasteland) they are way to give your characters a more flushed out feel. I use a similar idea on many of my pen & paper characters for that reason
---
Know thy Enemy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Thompson_%28attorney%29
#3LtMessiahDM504(Topic Creator)Posted 9/15/2010 6:51:06 PM
Yeah your right about the traits when I think about it.

Still, the perks in Fallout 3 were not that great. I wish they would do away with + 10 to small guns, etc perks. Make all perks do unique things. That would severely cut back on everyone taking pretty much the exact same setup. You have to admit, people largely take the same perks due to how useless alot of them are.

I like stuff like Demolitions Expert, Silent Running, etc. But I find almost everyone takes Silent Running. It would also be kind of cool to make it a choice type system. Maybe for your first playthrough on each difficulty, you have certain perks that are in a level bracket and you have to make a decision of which ones you will select when you hit each level in that bracket. The ones you don't choose disappear.

Makes decisions harder. Makes the game tougher. Makes the NG on same difficulty even more fun!
---
Perhaps later. Trying to determine how scale-itch got onto Normandy. Sexually-transmitted disease. Only carried by varren. Implications unpleasant.
#4WhordePosted 9/15/2010 7:18:44 PM
If you made every perk or even most do something unique too many would fall into the over powered or useless area. If you do that you'll likely end up with 5 perks everyone takes and 10 that no one ever uses. Worse they might make perks things everyone should be allowed to do, like exploding pants(I already thing Mr Sandman crosses that line) I do agree it would be great to have more ablity granting perks they should be rare and powerful, 3 or 4 that are equal in strength and have to be earned by taking other perks or exclusive if you take one you cant get the others
---
Know thy Enemy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Thompson_%28attorney%29
#5rjcl20Posted 9/15/2010 7:52:21 PM
Mr. Whorde i completely understand where you are coming from. Handing out perks left and right, I feel as if it's purposeless. I would rather work for something than recieve it easily. Which I feel has to be a problem with most gamers.
---
I write my own rules, I take dayquil at night.
#6Supperdude9Posted 9/16/2010 1:46:36 PM

TC, you fail to realize that Traits were a staple in the series. Fallout 1 and 2. You had to pick traits, which gave you pros and cons. It would have been interesting to see what traits would have been in Fallout 3 had they kept the tradition. It would have given the game yet even more replayabitly, anda challenge to work with what you had every time. I am definitely getting Four Eyes. Getting glasses shouldn't be too hard.

#7LtMessiahDM504(Topic Creator)Posted 9/16/2010 2:29:13 PM
If you made every perk or even most do something unique too many would fall into the over powered or useless area. If you do that you'll likely end up with 5 perks everyone takes and 10 that no one ever uses. Worse they might make perks things everyone should be allowed to do, like exploding pants(I already thing Mr Sandman crosses that line) I do agree it would be great to have more ablity granting perks they should be rare and powerful, 3 or 4 that are equal in strength and have to be earned by taking other perks or exclusive if you take one you cant get the others

Your trying to say that if the perks were redone with a more unique approach than Fallout 3, many would become overpowered or useless? Have you played Fallout 3?

Then you say, you will end up with 5 perks everyone takes and 10 no one ever uses.
(Comprehension,Educated,Entomologist,Toughness,Commando,Strong Back,Finesse,Pyromaniac,Sniper,Silent Running,Cyborg,Better Criticals,Action Boy/Girl,Ninja,Grim Reaper Sprint)

Im not going to even list the useless ones. If I haven't made my point, then its impossible at this juncture. I agree with you about Mister Sandman. That perk doesn't make sense at all.

I do also agree with the last statement. There needs to be balance. I think impending a level structure would do that. Say levels 1-6 have a set of perks that are only selectable during those levels, and once you hit level 7 they are blacked out....but once you beat the game, you can restart the game on that SAME difficulty and the level restriction is lifted.
---
#8GameGuy_5318Posted 9/16/2010 2:39:34 PM
Perks are there so you can specialize, plus if you don't don't want any traits don't take them
---
"Why so serial?"
#9LostinthePagesPosted 9/16/2010 2:45:57 PM
I think TC's criticism on the perks in FO3 is spot on and fair. It's one of the areas where Bethesda dropped the ball. I really feel like the skill point perks (Gun Nut, Little Leager, ect.) were only there to catch the new players unaware. "Oh, look! An extra three points into my small arms!" is a mistake a lot of my friends made when they made their early play throughs.
#10LtMessiahDM504(Topic Creator)Posted 9/16/2010 3:01:34 PM
Gameguy - Don't post if you can't read please.

And to everyone who won't read the BIG SHINY posts above, the traits issue has been discussed.

---