NO freeroam after the MAIN QUEST?!?

#21kmanweissPosted 10/19/2010 11:52:26 AM
I prefer games to end. Open ended games seem empty, especially Fallout games. What are you going to do? Wander around and kill all the townspeople? If you missed something, or want to explore, then load up a new game and have some fun.
#22kingeedorahPosted 10/19/2010 11:55:08 AM
Im sorry but what was the point in this post? Every game that Bethesda has put out, along this same design, this gen has had free roam after the story...leaving it out of this game feels like the game isnt finished....you guys should also note that i say all of this with the understanding that you know this is MY PERSONAL OPINION...im not trashing the game by any means.....to the contrary I'm loving the game...which is why i dont want it to end!

Wait, so the fact that the game actually finishes at some point makes the game feel as though it isn't finished? Yeah, that makes sense.

Also, I'm pretty sure every single Fallout game has shipped with an ending that didn't allow you to continue afterwards. Hell, before GTA hit it big, pretty much every game produced ever ended when you finished the story. If you want to keep playing the same file after you beat the story, KEEP A SAVE FROM BEFORE YOU BEAT IT.

The game even tells you when you should do this. You get a nice prompt on your screen that says "HEY! YOU'RE ABOUT TO BEAT THE GAME, YOU SHOULD PROBABLY SAVE BEFORE YOU DO THAT."
---
Here, everything is numbered. The monster is zero.
#23JE19426Posted 10/19/2010 11:58:33 AM
"Wasn't Bethesda apologetic at the fact that they didn't include this in the first game"

Why would Bethesda care about problems in the original FO?

---
Things I dislike: People that talk about religion on video game forums and people that refer to FF4 and FF6 as FF2 and FF3 without explaining it.
#24Yakuz-APosted 10/19/2010 12:01:44 PM
There's perfectly good reasons behind Sawyer's decision to have the game end after the ending.

http://www.1up.com/news/fallout-new-vegas-definitive-ending

For those too lazy to read, here's the most important part.

We want to make it a definitive ending. Initially, we talked about trying to support post-game play, but because the changes that can happen at the end of the game are pretty major, this is what it basically came down to: either have the changes feel really major in the end slides and then have them not be very major after the end of the game, or make them really minor and not that impactful. And we feel it's better to say, 'you know what, we're just going to end the game, and the changes you made can be minor or really really big, but because we can't script all the changes to the Wasteland to let you keep playing, we're just going to stop it there.' But we do let the player know when that's about to happen-- a sort of, 'the end of the game is coming, so we're saving your game right now, so if you want to keep your game going, you can, otherwise, it's about to be over.'"

I honestly don't see the problem, but then again I grew up with CRPGs with definitive endings, i.e. FO1, Planescape: Torment and more.

FO2 did have post-ending play but the devs later said it was a mistake to include that.
---
[SIGNATURE]
#25Sniper_Brosef(Topic Creator)Posted 10/19/2010 12:06:21 PM
kingeedorah
Wait, so the fact that the game actually finishes at some point makes the game feel as though it isn't finished? Yeah, that makes sense.

Also, I'm pretty sure every single Fallout game has shipped with an ending that didn't allow you to continue afterwards. Hell, before GTA hit it big, pretty much every game produced ever ended when you finished the story. If you want to keep playing the same file after you beat the story, KEEP A SAVE FROM BEFORE YOU BEAT IT.

The game even tells you when you should do this. You get a nice prompt on your screen that says "HEY! YOU'RE ABOUT TO BEAT THE GAME, YOU SHOULD PROBABLY SAVE BEFORE YOU DO THAT."

Just because a game has an ending doesn't mean the game feels finished...Fallout 3 left me entirely unsatisfied after the story concluded because I wanted to see the fruits of my labor, rather than hearing Ron Perlman describe what I've done....no matter how incredible his voice is....I mean....uhhh...i dont swing that way guys....

*thinks to self "that threw them off the trail!!!" and continues*

look i just dont like that this game has an ending that actually ENDS the game...I much prefer free roam, you however seem indifferent...so why are you trying to argue with me??? We obviously just hoped for different things from this game...simple as that
---
Detroit Sports Rule!!! - Millen is gone forever!!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. Keith.....I loved you man.....you will be sorely missed.
#26Sniper_Brosef(Topic Creator)Posted 10/19/2010 12:09:35 PM
To Yakuz-A

Thats an interesting tid bit...thanks for posting...that provides hope as well since the same could have been said about FO3's ending and since they added free roam to that via DLC I still have hope for this game too!!!
---
#27Yakuz-APosted 10/19/2010 12:11:13 PM
Well, what Sawyer is basically saying is that some of the endings in New Vegas lead to such extreme changes that they'd have to completely redesign the world and all characters for it to be logical to continue playing afterwards, either do that(unlikely) or just let the world be as it was prior to the ending(making it seems like the ending had very little meaning.)

I personally do not hope for a DLC that adds pots-ending play.
---
[SIGNATURE]
#28Sniper_Brosef(Topic Creator)Posted 10/19/2010 12:14:31 PM
but what about POST ending play?!? I kid I KID....but seriously to each their own...i find it better for DLC to be done after the main story is completed...which is just personal preference really...i usually blow through the story of games like this and then do side quests later....like i said earlier....To each, their own!!!
---
#29MosebysRangersPosted 10/19/2010 12:17:22 PM
After years of playing RPG one lesson learned is never finish main story quests unless absolutely necessary to continue game. Almost all RPG's have a point that is called "the point of no return". Thats why when I get home tonight and until I get bored with the game or something new comes along all I am going to do is explore and do side quests leave the main story for last because I know that's it.

Just start a new character and replay the game this time you'll know better.
#30A7X71180Posted 10/19/2010 12:18:38 PM
Im sorry but what was the point in this post? Every game that Bethesda has put out, along this same design, this gen has had free roam after the story

If by every game, you mean Oblivion... you are correct. FO3 didn't have it untill you bought Broken Steel.