is the 3rd person camera now locked ?

#1vinny_bPosted 10/20/2010 6:46:24 AM
in Fallout 3 not too many people knew you could rotate the 3rd person camera and zoom in/out...

can someone who knows this, confirm if this is still an option in FO New Vegas? Or is the camera now 'locked'? This is important to me, as i always played Fallout 3 with the camera zoomed in all the way. Also, liked to periodically rotate the camera at times, to look at my characters's face etc
#2cardicianPosted 10/20/2010 6:48:58 AM
It is locked to a degree. Annoyed me too. You can still zoom out to a degree if you hold the button down. That lest you zoom out and rotate the camera. But as soon as you let go of the button it zooms back in to a fixed perspective.
#3LtMessiahDM504Posted 10/20/2010 6:56:29 AM
When you click LB the camera pulls back to show your character's knees and above. You can zoom it out further but as soon as you let go of LB it centers back to the normal zoom they set it to. You can position the camera above your head or below you to look at your character also.

The biggest thing is, you can zoom CLOSE over the shoulder. Just as much as Fallout 3 and it will stay. You just can't zoom all the way out. They set this so they could cover up the poor footwork animation without actually doing anything about it. Lazy little *** devs. Still Im glad I can zoom it in 3rd person and play like its RE 4/5, Vanquish, etc.

Good game too! Is a bit buggier but bugs and glitches are two different things.
---
Perhaps later. Trying to determine how scale-itch got onto Normandy. Sexually-transmitted disease. Only carried by varren. Implications unpleasant.
#4vinny_b(Topic Creator)Posted 10/20/2010 7:00:26 AM
cardician:

then if a person wanted to experience New Vegas with the camera set at maximum zoom-in (which was possible in FO 3) they would be sh*t out of luck?? Just trying to clarify this. As this was my ONLY wish, for Fallout NV, for the new developer to not take this away.

prefer to play via the up close/tight, over-the-shoulder style optional in FO 3...
#5cardicianPosted 10/20/2010 7:04:17 AM
Yep, you're screwed. They definitely changed this over FO3. I used to play zoomed all the way out all the time so I could see enemies coming sooner. I was disappointed but I've ended up playing in first person mode quite a bit anyway. I don't worry so much about enemies sneaking up on me because I have ED-E as a companion and he/she/it plays music whenever an enemy comes into range so I'm always alerted anwyay.
#6chasingmaynardPosted 10/20/2010 7:07:32 AM

No, it isn't locked, and you can rotate the camera around your character like in Fallout 3.

There is only a certain amount of distance to play with to pick your own distance to lock it, but you can pull back the camera a little bit further than that to get a bigger view (nowhere near as far away as you could with Fallout 3).

However, once you let go of the bumper button, it will snap back into the position that you set it at.

Sorry, it's wierd to explain. I like it though, because I had heard that it was "locked" at a certain distance that the dev's saw fit, but that is not true.

#7vinny_b(Topic Creator)Posted 10/20/2010 7:08:16 AM
"The biggest thing is, you can zoom CLOSE over the shoulder. Just as much as Fallout 3 and it will stay"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LT DM504:

if this is the case, i will definitely pick up New Vegas. Thank you for taking time to clarify this. No one else seemed to know what i meant... Thanks

btw, from your post i take it you prefer to play from this same angle as well...
#8chasingmaynardPosted 10/20/2010 7:10:00 AM

cardician posted...
Yep, you're screwed. They definitely changed this over FO3. I used to play zoomed all the way out all the time so I could see enemies coming sooner.

He asked if he would be able to put the camera over the shoulder, which you can. He isn't talking about playing all the way zoomed out.

So no, he isn't screwed.

#9cardicianPosted 10/20/2010 7:11:28 AM
Ah sorry. You're right. I was just talking about zooming all the way out.
#10vinny_b(Topic Creator)Posted 10/20/2010 8:07:18 AM
thank you for the word, everyone.