Check out this Unarmed/Melee Build!

#1WulfBlazerPosted 10/22/2010 9:21:47 PM
-=Intro=-

I've taken it upon myself to forge a mighty character to compete with the rigors of New Vegas and hardcore mode. The play style of this character is that of a VATS brawler that does not utilize stealth or luck/critical hits to make his kills. This is far more efficient because it is tough to be a melee character and stealthy at the same time and melee weapons do horrid critical damage. (Plus, it's simply badass to run around crushing everything.)

-=SPECIAL Stats=-

STR - 9 (10)
PER - 1 (2)
END - 9 (10)
CHA - 2 (3)
INT - 9 (10)
AGL - 9 (10)
LUK - 1 (2)

*The numbers in the parenthesis are the final stats when implants are applied.
*1 PER due to not sneaking and the fact that you'll hear/see your enemies anyway.
*The high AGL also allows you to charge faster toward your enemies!

-=Traits=-

- Heavy Handed
- Kamikaze

*Heavy Handed is essential due to the increased damage output.
*Kamikaze is incredibly useful because we use VATS significantly and the -2 DT is negligible.

-=Perks=-

2 - Confirmed Bachelor (Lady Killer if you're homophobic, but it is far less useful.)
4 - Educated
6 - Comprehension
8 - Super Slam (Melee Weapons 45)
10 - Math Wrath (Science 70)
12 - Piercing Strike (Unarmed 70)
14 - Purifier
16 - Action Boy
18 - Paralyzing Palm (Unarmed 70)
20 - Grim Reaper's Sprint
22 - Stonewall
24 - Slayer (Unarmed 90)
26 - Nerves Of Steel
28 - Life Giver or Action Boy

*Skill point milestones are in parenthesis so you don't miss them.
*Math Wrath can be put on the backburner if you find it too difficult to invest that many points early on.

Well, there you have it. This build should efficiently own everything. It maximizes the strengths of your character and also maximizes skill point gain. Questions, comments, and what-not are welcome. Enjoy!
---
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints. The sinners are much more fun.
#2WulfBlazer(Topic Creator)Posted 10/22/2010 9:27:20 PM
Woops, forgot tagged skills. >__>

-=Tagged Skills=-

- Science
- Unarmed
- Survival / Repair / Melee Weapons / Lockpick / Medicine
---
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints. The sinners are much more fun.
#3nettwerks719Posted 10/22/2010 9:48:18 PM
I'm trying out an unarmed build too but I decided to focus on crits for offense, and stealth and damage threshold for defense. For crit I'm rolling with 9% from luck, 15% from ninja, 5% from finesse, 3% from built to destroy, 5% from the recon beret, and I dunno how much from using a bladed gauntlet. Better Criticals gives me 50% bonus crit damage, Ninja gives me 25% bonus on sneak crits, and the bladed gauntlet supposedly adds some crit damage as well, Usually when I approach a group of enemies I'll destroy an enemy in one hit from a sneak critical, then pop VATS and crit their friends into a thin red paste.

Also if it takes more than 10 hits to kill you then Toughness will keep you alive longer than Life Giver will. Usually if I die it's a "death of a thousand cuts" type of thing with six or seven enemies shooting me, so I'd definitely recommend going for damage threshold instead of straight hp.
#4hauntbotPosted 10/22/2010 9:52:52 PM
This is far more efficient because it is tough to be a melee character and stealthy at the same time and melee weapons do horrid critical damage.

failpost is fail.

anyways, it looks like it should do okay once you get the chainsaw, sine thats a high-end weapon that cant crit anyways.
---
=l
#5nettwerks719Posted 10/23/2010 8:54:54 AM
One more pertinent point to mention is that the most powerful unarmed combo I've found can't be done in VATS. If something spots me before I'm ready for it, I'll time a back power attack(i.e. Ranger Takedown) to knock it to the ground and then a forward power attack to crit it while its on the ground. Very few enemies get back up after that.
#6Xann0Posted 10/23/2010 10:22:24 AM
Unarm crit is bad? :(

Are we playing the same game?
#7Xann0Posted 10/23/2010 11:11:16 AM
Well my unarm build went the opposite direction because personally I think criticals make the skill much better.

But some critique/questions.

- Why did you bother to raise charisma to 2? And not 1?

- Why do you need so much endurance? Extra hitpoints are not that important. And it only affects your skill, not your damage. If you're playing on hardcore(or any difficulty) DT is better.

- Why is your intelligence so high? Are you planning your skills out ahead of time? 10 int gives you 450 skill points. 6 int gives you 390 skill points. Those 4 important stat points gave you only 60 skill points. Which is barely more than educated gives. Sit down and map out all the skills you'll need. Aside from your unarm skill, what skills were you planning to max? You can keep speech, lockpick, science, etc at 70-80 and use skillbooks or drugs for hard skillchecks. IMO, int is not as important in NV as it was in fallout3.

----------------------------------------------------------------

This is my unarm build I'm using for hardcore.

Strength = 9 (+1 implant) << For max damage.
Perception = 5 (+1 implant) << Perquisite for finesse.
Endurance = 5 << To get 5 implants and toughness. STR, AGI, PER, Luck, and DT.
Charisma = 1 << Need to raise speech early and tag it.
Agility = 5 (+2 implant&trait) << Perquisite for Nerves Of Steel and Slayer.
Intelligence = 6
Luck = 9(+1 implant) << For critcals and gambling.

Traits: Built to Destroy, Small Frame.

Perks:
2 - confirmed bachelor (no req)
4 - educated (int 4)
6 - comprehension (int 4)
8 - super slam (str 6, Melee Weapons 45) <<< ***** Best unarm/melee skill ****
10 - finesse (no req)
12 - Piercing strike (need 70 unarm)
14 - Purifier (no req)
16 - Better Critcals (perception 6, luck 6)
18 - paralyzing palm (unarm 70)
20 - ninja (melee 80, sneak 80)
22 - Toughness (endurance 5) <<< Unsure on this
24 - Slayer (unarm 90, agi 7)
26 - nerves of steel (agi 7)
28 - Toughness (endurance 5) <<< Unsure on this
30 - Unstoppable Force (str 7, Melee 90) <<< Unsure on this
#8WulfBlazer(Topic Creator)Posted 10/23/2010 6:50:39 PM

Well my unarm build went the opposite direction because personally I think criticals make the skill much better.

But some critique/questions.

- Why did you bother to raise charisma to 2? And not 1?

- Why do you need so much endurance? Extra hitpoints are not that important. And it only affects your skill, not your damage. If you're playing on hardcore(or any difficulty) DT is better.

- Why is your intelligence so high? Are you planning your skills out ahead of time? 10 int gives you 450 skill points. 6 int gives you 390 skill points. Those 4 important stat points gave you only 60 skill points. Which is barely more than educated gives. Sit down and map out all the skills you'll need. Aside from your unarm skill, what skills were you planning to max? You can keep speech, lockpick, science, etc at 70-80 and use skillbooks or drugs for hard skillchecks. IMO, int is not as important in NV as it was in fallout3.

----------------------------------------------------------------

This is my unarm build I'm using for hardcore.

Strength = 9 (+1 implant) << For max damage.
Perception = 5 (+1 implant) << Perquisite for finesse.
Endurance = 5 << To get 5 implants and toughness. STR, AGI, PER, Luck, and DT.
Charisma = 1 << Need to raise speech early and tag it.
Agility = 5 (+2 implant&trait) << Perquisite for Nerves Of Steel and Slayer.
Intelligence = 6
Luck = 9(+1 implant) << For critcals and gambling.

Traits: Built to Destroy, Small Frame.

Perks:
2 - confirmed bachelor (no req)
4 - educated (int 4)
6 - comprehension (int 4)
8 - super slam (str 6, Melee Weapons 45) <<< ***** Best unarm/melee skill ****
10 - finesse (no req)
12 - Piercing strike (need 70 unarm)
14 - Purifier (no req)
16 - Better Critcals (perception 6, luck 6)
18 - paralyzing palm (unarm 70)
20 - ninja (melee 80, sneak 80)
22 - Toughness (endurance 5) <<< Unsure on this
24 - Slayer (unarm 90, agi 7)
26 - nerves of steel (agi 7)
28 - Toughness (endurance 5) <<< Unsure on this
30 - Unstoppable Force (str 7, Melee 90) <<< Unsure on this

I like your build a lot and I'll try it out. Perhaps I am underestimating sneak/criticals. My build is still a great chainsaw build though. :P

What do I tag?
---
#9MoonlightnitePosted 10/23/2010 10:49:59 PM
bump
---
The Wheel is spinning but the hamster is dead PSN Moonlight21
#10TKJassassinPosted 10/24/2010 7:44:57 PM
bump?