Volare! Side quest - Quest objectives bugged?

#1HN2552Posted 11/18/2010 3:28:23 PM
I'm about 50 hours into the game right now, and loving it so far. I haven't even experienced any major game issues up until now, besides two occasions where the game has locked up completely. Now, my problem seems to be that I have managed to complete most of the main objectives for the Boomers side quest Volare!...but the game has either not recognised this or is not letting me rectify it. I have completed most of the quest up to this point to the letter, I have Idolized reputation, so I could move on to the final part which is raising the B29 from lake mead...

Now, the only quest that I did not complete before starting the final objective was Young Hearts, finding Jack's love interest as I had Idolized reputation already. Talked to both Loyal and Jack, got the ballast and the rebreather. Went to lake mead, attached both of the ballasts, moved to the indicated point by the winch, equipped the detonator and pressed RT to use it...nothing happens!

I have even tried going back to Nellis, talking to Jack again, going and completing his Young Hearts quest fine then finally going back to lake mead and trying to complete Volare! but I still cant progress.

Anyone got any ideas, besides me having to replay over 20 hours of gameplay as I have been keeping my number of saves to a minimum to try and minimize the chance of techincal problems...
#2Pulse22Posted 11/18/2010 3:29:46 PM
Are you getting the message saying that the detonator is beeping or whatever it is that it does?
---
My power is discombobulatingly devastating. I could feel his muscle tissues collapse under my force. It's ludicrous these mortals even attempt to enter my realm
#3HN2552(Topic Creator)Posted 11/18/2010 3:32:07 PM
Pulse22 posted...
Are you getting the message saying that the detonator is beeping or whatever it is that it does?
---
My power is discombobulatingly devastating. I could feel his muscle tissues collapse under my force. It's ludicrous these mortals even attempt to enter my realm

Yes, the message comes up on the screen. Now, are you meant to wait until you hear the beeping before you actually equip the detonator, or not? I am standing right on the waypoint marker, the detonator is beeping away, I'm pressing right trigger to use it and nothing happens.
#4Pulse22Posted 11/18/2010 3:33:32 PM
As long as you are standing on the exact spot where it starts to beep it should raise the ship. All I can think is just keep reloading it and crossing your fingers.
---
#5Shadowmaster_MPosted 11/18/2010 3:39:16 PM

Anyone got any ideas, besides me having to replay over 20 hours of gameplay as I have been keeping my number of saves to a minimum to try and minimize the chance of techincal problems...

I hate to say it, but that just was not a good plan.
As far as you've outlined, you've done everything right and you may have no fix for this issue.

The wiki notes:

The plane can sometimes not rise to the surface when using Loyal's detonator, even when it is triggered while it is beeping.
* If this happens: try un-equipping and re-equipping the detonator, or possibly even switch between different weapons, and then try again. Note that Loyal's detonator is different than the generic Detonator (Fallout: New Vegas).

---
Das Feuer liebt mich.
Das Feuer liebt mich nicht.
#6HN2552(Topic Creator)Posted 11/18/2010 3:47:29 PM
One more thing...is the detonator that you are meant to use just called a Detonator (like you'd use for C4) in your Weapons list or does it have a special item name, e.g. "Loyal's Detonator"...if this is the case then I'll feel really stupid when I try this and it works.
#7Shadowmaster_MPosted 11/18/2010 3:48:14 PM
It's "Loyal's Detonator".
---
Das Feuer liebt mich.
Das Feuer liebt mich nicht.
#8Pulse22Posted 11/18/2010 3:48:39 PM
rofl.
It has a special name.
---
#9HN2552(Topic Creator)Posted 11/18/2010 3:55:24 PM
Pulse22 posted...
rofl.
It has a special name.
---

Wow...that is one infuriating game bug right there, even if you have a "normal" detonator equipped (and its not exactly obvious as a standard detonator looks no different than Loyal's one), you still hear a beep, you get the message and you try and nothing works. I'm sure I didn't get a message saying it had been added to my inventory either. A few others also seem to have been stumped by this...even the New Vegas wiki page says that the detonators are different, yet there is no cosmetic difference so it isn't obvious unless you look...which I didn't!! Hurricane in a teacup over nothing...problem resolved :)