Dead Money: Should I start it at level 8, or later?

#1J1miPosted 2/11/2011 6:44:49 AM
I have done some side quests, and main quest is at the point of directing me to Novac. I have some okay skills: 50 in Guns, ~45 in science, 55 in lockpick, 55 in Repair, 35 or 40 in speech and some other ones. For perks, the list is short; Comprehension, educated, intense training, and commando. Traits are small frame, and built to destroy.

ST: 3
PE: 5
EN: 8
CH: 1
IN: 9
AG: 7 (Intense training went here. Should've gone to ST...)
LK: 9

Thinking of using shotguns a lot, and some pistols. Not sure about rifles.
Energy weapons, melee, unarmed and explosives have been neglected so far.

Cannot decide myself. First playthrough, Normal-Hard. 300h+ FO3. More in FO2 :P
Consider me skilled.
---
Akimbo G18s are fast, sloppy and they use up their payload quickly, sounds about right >__>
- AngryNoiseDude comparing Akimbo G18's to sex.
#2HolyGigoPosted 2/11/2011 7:21:55 AM
Looking at your post, I'm not sure that those particular abilities would be useful in Dead Money... I won't spoil anything unless you ask, but I would suggest leveling a bit more if that's the build you want to take. However, some folks love a challenge, and that would probably be challenging indeed.
---
"I'll let my guns do the preaching."
#3ArchangelJamesPosted 2/11/2011 7:47:05 AM
It would be suicide. Wait until you're level 20, at least.
---
Please become a fan of my cat.
www.facebook.com/MalikTheCat
#4pillerofautumnPosted 2/11/2011 7:59:28 AM
To at least enjoy it, and not struggle through it to the point it's tedious, just level up more.

I think that's why most people didn't enjoy it as much. They go there at a low level and get owned over and over.
#5jakeis1337Posted 2/11/2011 8:46:02 AM
If you know what you're doing, you can get away with level 12 or so. Higher levels are suggested simply because lack of ammo (at the start), deadly traps and terminals/locks/speech checks requiring high skills. And a decent amount of health, but I won't spoil it by going into why.
#6J1mi(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2011 9:36:01 AM
Thanks for the input, guys.

Just picked up Boone, and heading to the rocket site.

Could I have a small list of useful skills and their suggested proficiency?
---
Akimbo G18s are fast, sloppy and they use up their payload quickly, sounds about right >__>
- AngryNoiseDude comparing Akimbo G18's to sex.
#7ArkardPosted 2/11/2011 9:37:15 AM
If you go after lvl 20 you should be able to do it no matter what unless you've gimped your character in some weird way.
---
I hope this signature doesn't offend anyone
#8Santo3485Posted 2/14/2011 9:01:25 AM
I would highly recommend that you level up till 20. If you enter Dead Money on level 8, its gonna be tough, I would imagine it would be so tough that it would ruin your experience with Dead Money and you probably wont enjoy it (unless you really love a challenge).
---
If I were the man I was five years ago, I'd take a flamethrower to this place!
Al Pacino
#9ThermalStonePosted 2/14/2011 9:03:36 AM(edited)
There's also no reason to do it early (unlike operation anchorage in FO3) because the loot isn't very good.
---
Author of the Magic the Gathering Guide, Band of Bugs Walkthrough and the Halo Wars Achievement Guide
#10Corruption_VashPosted 2/14/2011 9:05:04 AM
The only reason you should ever do O:A early in FO3 would be for the Power Armor Training perk.

Since Dead Money doesn't have that, just wait until you're level 20+.
---
PSN: TR_Nevest