Why did they make Melee/Unarmed so overpowered

#1AaronHutchPosted 4/14/2011 3:48:40 PM
seriously, Pushy makes hardcore+very hard a joke

not to mention paralyzing palm made a return >__>
---
"The host just rage quit from a Ante Up wager match! Thats like...rage quitting on LittleBigPlanet"-Anonymous
#2RPG_ApostlePosted 4/14/2011 3:59:12 PM
Welcome to Fallout.

New Vegas is pretty much the most overpowered it's ever been... I think there's actually 8 perks for Melee/Unarmed, all of which reduce DT, have an effect (stun, for example), or increase damage. That's all 100% offense.

It's a bit overpowered, but so much fun. I recommend a Melee/Unarmed run to every person who has the game.
#3lopham4Posted 4/14/2011 4:55:08 PM
i think its to compensate on the fact that some enemies like deathclaws and cazadors are even more dangerous in this game....from what i can see..and played i have never had a melee/unarmed character that can genuinely solo a pack of deathclaws or cazador swarm and not spam stimpacks or drugs...most of the time melee and unarmed need companions to tank enemies while you run on over and beat down your enemies faster than your enemies can kill you....on my sniper build..i NEVER EVER carry companions unless for a specific quest nor do i need to spam any stims or drugs.
---
Name: lopham
FC: 1719 0861 7172
#4mario479Posted 4/14/2011 4:55:46 PM

I agree. I managed to get the achievement for making damage with melee and unarmed wepons less than one week. It was very easy.

#5David_741Posted 4/14/2011 5:45:02 PM
The Brush Gun and Lucky magnum make Pushy seemed like a joke.
---
FC: 5286 0685 2561
#6jakeis1337Posted 4/14/2011 5:58:10 PM
Because Chuck Norris is an unarmed build.
#7krono069Posted 4/14/2011 6:48:50 PM
Idk, I have a 100 melée build, and I still think energy weapons is a better path. When you get into a melée fight with a Deathclaw, you WILL take some major damage no matter how good you are. If you have a plasma rifle or the Alien blaster/energy sniper or the Tesla with a 100 in energy weapons, you can drop Deathclaws before they can touch you.
_
---
Worst squadmate ever? ...Kanye West. In the middle of a shoot out he'll snatch your gun outa' your hand to tell you how his gun is the greatest of all time!
#8grand_kaizerPosted 4/14/2011 7:36:13 PM
It balances out the fact that guns mean you never have to come within shotgun range of an enemy. Logic helps too: a bullet to the arm is going to be really painful, but a machete through the arm is probably gonna be worse for you.
---
Twilight: One woman's struggle to choose between necrophilia and bestiality.
~The Official King Caelum of the Versus XIII boards~
#9LancetJades(Moderator)Posted 4/15/2011 12:07:12 AM
krono069 posted...
Idk, I have a 100 melée build, and I still think energy weapons is a better path. When you get into a melée fight with a Deathclaw, you WILL take some major damage no matter how good you are. If you have a plasma rifle or the Alien blaster/energy sniper or the Tesla with a 100 in energy weapons, you can drop Deathclaws before they can touch you.
_

Well, Deathclaws as an example are an extreme, especially because they ignore DT, but I guess it could be argued the extreme is all that really matters in this game.

But consider this: your example (especially Alien Blaster and Tesla Cannon) are very high-end energy weapons, with high stat requirements (both STR and skill), consume a lot of ammo, and in the case of Alien Blaster, has a limited ammo supply entirely. Plus, you say 100 Energy Weapons.

With a poor Unarmed skill (~25) and a pair of Spiked Knuckles, any character can do tons of damage to nearly anything with unarmed attacks. With Pushy or a Ballistic Fist, 100 Unarmed, and some unarmed perks, you'll blow away (literally) any enemy except ones like Deathclaws in a single hit. Deathclaws will only take 2 or 3 hits. All without needing a single round of ammo (which on Hardcore, has weight, too).

But with 25 Energy Weapons and, say, a Plasma Pistol or Incinerator, you won't be doing much to many enemies.

In my experience though, Melee is weaker than Unarmed by a good margin, so that may explain your experience.
---
Eclipsing power is, at times, not only the instrument of demons, but also of gods.
Lost, but not forgotten.
#10jreed1337Posted 4/15/2011 7:10:00 AM
mario479 posted...
I agree. I managed to get the achievement for making damage with melee and unarmed wepons less than one week. It was very easy.

pff, took me literally 2 hours with the ballistic for unarmed and even less than that for the melee with the thermic lance.
---
.:R 1337 .:R