Fallout 4 - Perks every what level?

#1Kharn99Posted 8/12/2011 11:23:20 AM
Every level (ala FO3) or every 2 (ala NV and the old FO games)?

I'd go with every 2 (or 3 or whatever) since it makes character builds more unique from each other due to limited perks.
---
Apples.... Oranges....
WHO. IS. DEADLIEST!?
#21qaqa1Posted 8/12/2011 11:25:42 AM
1, but have the most powerful weapons of each class require perks to use

such as you need pyromaniac to use the heavy incinerator and rank 3 demolition expert to use the fat man.
---
Schoolyard metagame was the best, you didn't get mobbed by 10 year olds because you used Blaziken-Bananamatic
#3hauntbotPosted 8/12/2011 11:38:46 AM
i liked every other level. every level is way too much, and honestly every 3 levels makes character building feel a bit too bland. make your total perks too limited and most people wont even experience most perks, even across multiple playthroughs.
---
lol hauntbot is my new favorite user... ~OgesMC
people who agree with Oges: 5
#4pkmnpkmnPosted 8/12/2011 11:40:18 AM
1qaqa1 posted...
1, but have the most powerful weapons of each class require perks to use

such as you need pyromaniac to use the heavy incinerator and rank 3 demolition expert to use the fat man.

this, people will probably use perks like gun nut if they find they can't use their precious sniper rifle without taking 3 ranks in it or something.
---
2 atoms walk into a bar, one says I think I lost an electron, the other says really? the first says I'm positive ~wadsworth
#5Dark_ApostatePosted 8/12/2011 11:45:02 AM
The "old Fallout" games provided perks every three levels, not two. As of Fallout: Tactics members of different races/species perked at different level intervals. Humans every 3, Ghouls every 4(3 with Fear the Reaper), dogs every other level, then there are Super Mutants, Death Claws, and the non-perking Robots.

I think we need a return to the old system so that character development can be just that: development. As it stands now, gaining a perk at every even level up to 50, most characters end up with a wide array of specializations that do not force efficient and tactical decision making during the growth process. I am not saying that I do not enjoy a godly run through every now and then but the system as it stands now is self defeating.

I agree with all those who argue that a single player game cannot be played in an inappropriate fashion, yet I do think that the core of a video game RPG is the systemics and growth process. When this is reduced to nothing more than a path to undisputed dominance without the need for consideration or planning, I personally feel, this destroys the core of the video game RPG experience. Anyone who has played the Fable series can attest to this, I think.
#67734shadowPosted 8/12/2011 12:35:42 PM(edited)
It'd be kinda cool if they based it on the difficulty that your playing at.

if your game was set to ...
Easy = every level
Normal = every 2 levels
Hard/Very Hard = every 3 levels
Hardcore = every 4 levels

This way the casual gamers can make superman play-throughs. Hardcore gamers can have a challenge and everyone else can pick and chose how they see fit, everyone's happy and everyone gets to have their own kind of fun.
---
Shadow
GT - demonshadow1458
#7AnubanUTPosted 8/12/2011 1:05:43 PM
Heck why not just have a game without perks while we are at .. pfftt. Really though every other level regardless of difficulty is just fine ... this is FO after all where the whole point is not to prove to others how much of a gaming god you are (go play COD or Gears or something if that is your aim) but to experience as much as possible ... mostly through exploration not fighting.
---
- "People who make '1000/1000' topics and 'I beat the game on the hardest difficulty' topics should be beheaded and quartered" - Me on a good day
#8iEatTacosPosted 8/12/2011 1:54:34 PM
I agree, every level kinda take away the "special-ness" of perks. Every 2 is perfect, every 3 would be pushing it. Every 4? No effin' way
#9Otacon305Posted 8/12/2011 2:26:21 PM
2 Perks every level.
---
Neither enemy nor friend...
#10MC2011Posted 8/12/2011 2:27:25 PM(edited)
A perk every 5 levels.

Start specializing >:)
---
May God have mercy on your soul... - The Preacher
Because I sure as hell won't. - The Gunslinger