Hedging your Bets: a guide to delaying your final choice of faction {SPOILERS}

#51Xo518Posted 6/21/2012 4:31:01 PMmessage detail
Thanks for the guide. Helped quite a bit.
---
Sent from my iPad via PowerFAQs 1.9
#52Fisto_Posted 6/23/2012 7:28:59 PMmessage detail
Finnegan posted...
The NCR

The NCR is the most complicated faction, because they actually keep track of your actions with each of the other factions separately. The NCR has a warning quest like Caesar's legion -- theirs is called "Don't Tread on the Bear!" Unlike Caesar, however, you can actually trigger "Don't Tread on the Bear" and then switch allegiances until you trigger it again. As long as you don't keep working with the specific faction that caused your first trigger, you'll be fine.

It's worth pointing out, by the way, that only the Caesar triggers will actually turn the NCR hostile -- the House and Yes Man triggers will break your ability to complete the NCR's questline, but you can still interact with their NPCs, use their merchants, and complete their sidequests.

The trigger points for the NCR are as follows:

First, as always, don’t kill any quest givers.

For Yes Man: Any of the "Wild Card" quests has the possibility of triggering "Don't Tread" (unless you've already triggered it through House -- in that case, you won't get a separate warning for Yes Man, even though the two ARE separate), but the one you need to worry about is "Wild Card: Finishing Touches" (installing the override chip at the El Dorado substation. That's the breaking point. Anything with Yes Man up to that point is fine, but turning in "Finishing Touches" will cut off your ability to work with the NCR any further. NOTE: In one of my tests, Yes Man’s quests actually NEVER broke the NCR questline, but I couldn’t ever replicate that. As such, use “Finishing Touches” as your reliable breaking point.

For Mr. House: Completing part III of "The House Always Wins" (dealing with the Boomers) will trigger "Don't Tread". Turning in the next part, dealing with the Omertas, will fail "Don't Tread" and permanently break the NCR questline.

For Caesar's Legion: Completing the third part of "Render unto Caesar" (dealing with the Boomers) will trigger "Don't Tread", and turning in the next part (dealing with the White Gloves, even if you cured their cannibalism problem) will fail it and break the NCR questline.

Basically, stop doing quests for other factions after you complete the Boomers portion, and don't install the chip at El Dorado for Yes Man, and you'll be fine.

That's it for the individual factions' breaking points. If you only care about one or two of the factions, just use the above points as a guide and you'll be fine. If you want to take every single faction questline as far as possible without breaking any of them, read on!

I did this and "For the Republic, Part 2" is still available for me.
---
Please assume the position.
#53GhostfeetPosted 7/14/2012 1:05:29 PMmessage detail
Great guide thanks! :)
---
"I drink and I smash because I love." ~ Rocko
#54therealdeadPosted 7/18/2012 9:35:16 AMmessage detail
Ajd_King posted...
*plants Enclave flag*

In the name of the United States of America, this thread is ours.

AMERICA IS BACK!
#55squiggy9996999Posted 8/13/2012 12:46:06 PMmessage detail
^uh-oh, you can't have the BoS boogey man show up without the BoS far behind.
#56ArcadeGannonPosted 9/3/2012 3:41:02 AMmessage detail
So to be clear, if the only two factions I was worrying about was the NCR and Yes Man, I could still do all of For the Republic Part 2 without committing to the NCR? (I've already decided that overall I want to fight for an independent Vegas)
#57Bat178Posted 9/5/2012 1:10:08 PMmessage detail
By the way, do the factions remind anyone of Deus Ex: Invisible War?

NCR: Illuminati

Caesar's Legion: Knights Templar

House: JC Denton

Yes Man: Renegade
---
Awww, isn't that cute? He thinks he can beat me!
#58Finnegan(Topic Creator)Posted 9/6/2012 6:19:16 AMmessage detail
ArcadeGannon posted...
So to be clear, if the only two factions I was worrying about was the NCR and Yes Man, I could still do all of For the Republic Part 2 without committing to the NCR? (I've already decided that overall I want to fight for an independent Vegas)

Yes, you can ALWAYS switch to Yes Man, right up until you actually pass the point of no return and head to the Dam Battle (and even then, you can always reload, now that the game creates an automatic hard save at that point).
---
QVANTI CANICVLA ILLE IN FENESTRA
#59Ajd_EmperorPosted 9/23/2012 12:44:27 AMmessage detail
Can't you bug out the Yes Man ending by blowing up the bunker, or something? Probably wrong, but I'm remembering this for some reason.
#60pablo_skyrimPosted 11/12/2012 10:38:29 AMmessage detail
(yawn) zzz....