Shotgun Surgeon... what other perk to go with...

#1chasingmaynardPosted 1/28/2012 9:10:18 AM

Sorry about a new thread on this, but I just found out that Shotgun Surgeon does not affect the Sturdy Caravan Shotgun, which is what I have always used (though I've never really played the game past Nipton).

Are other shotguns still good to use in the game, and should I stick with getting Shotgun Surgeon at level 6? The other perks I am tossed up between are Entomologist, Professional, or Gunslinger.

No wonder the perk never helped me tear through ants and scorpions.  What a bummer...

#2LambentEarachePosted 1/28/2012 9:27:18 AM
Riot Shotgun can be found pretty easily. It has a high DAM, DPS, and rate of fire. If you have Dead Money, you can get the And Stay Back perk that affects all shotguns.

For those other three perks, if you use VATS a lot, Gunslinger would probably be best. The Professional would be good as well.

See? I help.
---
Not changing this sig until Conrad Verner saves the galaxy from the Reapers. Keelah se'lai.
#3chasingmaynard(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2012 9:41:58 AM

LambentEarache posted...
Riot Shotgun can be found pretty easily. It has a high DAM, DPS, and rate of fire. If you have Dead Money, you can get the And Stay Back perk that affects all shotguns.

For those other three perks, if you use VATS a lot, Gunslinger would probably be best. The Professional would be good as well.

See? I help.

I know you help, which is what makes it all the more frustrating to post on these forums.  One minute you guys are wielding all types of Fallout knowledge and helping anyone that asks, but the next minute you'll make posts that if used in a spoken conversation would just push the "socially inept" public viewpoint of gamers even further.

Anyways, thank you for the tips, as usual. though I'm sure I've pissed you off enough in the other thread that this is probably just wasted typing.  Thankfully I'm at work.

#4relssumPosted 1/28/2012 10:05:16 AM
From my experience:

Gunslinger: I usually avoided one-handed weapons. When I did find myself using one, I was generally close enough to the opposition that the accuracy in vats was already sufficient without a perk boost. I would ignore this perk.

The Professional: The list of guns presented on the wiki isn't what I typically used. For my energy weapon character, I find the list more promising since it includes the alien blaster. So in addition to improving my hold-out guns, I get a boost for one of my meanest guns (a comforting thought when I would be facing deathclaws). A good choice for energy users.

Entomologist: I've had to restart the game many times because a group of cazadors killed my companion on hardcore mode. However, I've heard that the Old World Blues expansion has a perk that really dampens the damage these guys do. Considering how often you can simply avoid encounters with these guys, I would shy away from this perk.

Shotgun Surgeon: I used shotguns plenty while using my gun character. Load it with some magnum rounds and you got a good weapon for that super mutant trying to bash your head in. A solid choice.
---
"Gratitude is a virtue that is expected more than practiced"
Black from the book, "The Dragon Society"
#5chasingmaynard(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2012 10:07:04 AM

Read up on the Sturdy Caravan Shotgun, and it seems to be not more than that... just sturdy, and the spread is even worse.

It will be interesting to see how effective the Shotgun Surgeon perk will be once I actually get to use it for the first time.

#6chasingmaynard(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2012 10:22:38 AM

relssum posted...
From my experience:

Gunslinger: I usually avoided one-handed weapons. When I did find myself using one, I was generally close enough to the opposition that the accuracy in vats was already sufficient without a perk boost. I would ignore this perk.

The Professional: The list of guns presented on the wiki isn't what I typically used. For my energy weapon character, I find the list more promising since it includes the alien blaster. So in addition to improving my hold-out guns, I get a boost for one of my meanest guns (a comforting thought when I would be facing deathclaws). A good choice for energy users.

Entomologist: I've had to restart the game many times because a group of cazadors killed my companion on hardcore mode. However, I've heard that the Old World Blues expansion has a perk that really dampens the damage these guys do. Considering how often you can simply avoid encounters with these guys, I would shy away from this perk.

Shotgun Surgeon: I used shotguns plenty while using my gun character. Load it with some magnum rounds and you got a good weapon for that super mutant trying to bash your head in. A solid choice.

I see what you're saying with Gunslinger.  The only one-handed I used in FO3 was the Sawed-off, and that was for RPing.

For The Professional, I will be mostly using rifles so the weapons list doesn't really fit my bill either.  However, the whole ordeal of "hold-out" guns is completely new to me, as I've never been to the strip or any weapons-free areas, so I will probably get that later on.

I remember wasting a lot of ammo on ants and scorpions when I first bought the game, and I've never even seen a Cazador but I've heard stories, so I'm still leaning a little towards this one.  I'll definitely be getting Surgeon at 6 though.  Thanks for all of the advice!

#7KutKuSlayerPosted 1/28/2012 11:45:14 AM
And Stay Back (Dead Money DLC) = adds a good knockback effect to all shotguns.

Hand Loader = allows special ammunition to be crafted. VERY useful for Guns users.

Commando/Gunslinger = for VATS bonuses with 2 and 1 handed shotguns respectively.

Cowboy = if using a Lever Action Shotgun

Grim Reapers Sprint//Nerves of Steel/Math Wrath = very useful for a heavy VATS user.

Sniper/Center of Mass = helps head/torso accuracy in VATS.

and then the usual perks for most builds:

Finesse = +5% Critical Chance
Better Criticals = +50% Critical Damage
---
WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY TOPIC???__carwreck__
[REPAIR 85] Helios one cab give peer too if fixed.
#8AverageAveragePosted 1/28/2012 11:55:30 AM
Shotguns are done pretty well in this game, especially if you have the DLCs.

Dead Money with it's And Stay Back! Perk+ A Riot Shotgun= All Powerful (Xcalizorz Certified)

Plus Gun Runner's Arsenal add's in heaps of new shotgun ammo types including Dragon's Breath.

So stick with em if you want, they are a very reliable choice in New Vegas.
---
Welcome to GameFAQs--a board based on a demographic that lives in 1994 and uses an 18k/s internet connection - FroDevil [[NVBM]]
#9LambentEarachePosted 1/28/2012 1:00:42 PM
chasingmaynard posted...

LambentEarache posted...

Riot Shotgun can be found pretty easily. It has a high DAM, DPS, and rate of fire. If you have Dead Money, you can get the And Stay Back perk that affects all shotguns.For those other three perks, if you use VATS a lot, Gunslinger would probably be best. The Professional would be good as well.See? I help.

I know you help, which is what makes it all the more frustrating to post on these forums. One minute you guys are wielding all types of Fallout knowledge and helping anyone that asks, but the next minute you'll make posts that if used in a spoken conversation would just push the "socially inept" public viewpoint of gamers even further.Anyways, thank you for the tips, as usual. though I'm sure I've pissed you off enough in the other thread that this is probably just wasted typing. Thankfully I'm at work.

No, I appreciate being thanked when I help.

I just oppress things that make no sense.
---
Not changing this sig until Conrad Verner saves the galaxy from the Reapers. Keelah se'lai.
#10KutKuSlayerPosted 1/28/2012 1:32:51 PM
LambentEarache posted...
No, I appreciate being thanked when I help.

I just oppress things that make no sense.

a mans signature is his own private kingdom! i shall defend it with my life!
---
WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY TOPIC???__carwreck__
[REPAIR 85] Helios one cab give peer too if fixed.