Needed Advice

#1Jinn_RemonaPosted 5/10/2012 8:45:49 AM
I'm currently starting my second playthrough of New Vegas after I reached a point where I began finding it very hard to progress in my first attempt at beating the game. So I need some advice to try and keep myself above water level and survive.

My current stats are Strength(5), Perception(7{+}), Endurance(5), Charisma(7), Intelligence(10), Agility(4{-}), Luck(3)

My main skills that I focus on at the moment are Barter, Guns, Medicine, Repair and Speech.

I'm level 6 and my main two weapons are the 9mm or 10mm Pistols and the Cowboy Repeater.

I also currently have ED-E following behind me as a companion.

Questions I have are mostly revolving around weapons I should seek out that could give me a good standing against my enemies in the near future. On my previous playthrough, I ended up using a 9mm Pistol with a Scope for quite a long time in the game, along with any Rifles I could find. I'm not a big fan of machine guns, mainly because they're so inaccurate and waste ammo. The main thing I had difficulty with in my last playthrough were trying to kill enemies like Cazadors or Deathclaws. Regardless of how I atttempted to fight them, they also managed to subdue me in one or two hits.

Any advice to help me prepare for anything this game can off would be greatly appreciated.
---
~The Braindead Genius: Jinn Remona
#2Freedan the EternalPosted 5/10/2012 9:44:57 AM
Cazadors, if you're going to end up fighting them close up (and you usually are), I've found shotguns to be the way to go. The Hunting Shotgun is my preferred choice, or the unique version, Dinner Bell, though you have to fight both Cazadors and Deathclaws to finish the quest that gives it.

Deathclaws are best dealth with at long range, with a scope, from as high up and far away as you can possibly be and still actually see them. A scoped hunting rifle, or sniper rifle will suffice, with sneak attack crits.
---
Of course she flew through the air! You can see it right there! Whooooooooosh! - Phoenix Wright
#3nagacornPosted 5/10/2012 10:04:09 AM
Jinn_Remona posted...
I'm currently starting my second playthrough of New Vegas after I reached a point where I began finding it very hard to progress in my first attempt at beating the game. So I need some advice to try and keep myself above water level and survive.

My current stats are Strength(5), Perception(7{+}), Endurance(5), Charisma(7), Intelligence(10), Agility(4{-}), Luck(3)

My main skills that I focus on at the moment are Barter, Guns, Medicine, Repair and Speech.

I'm level 6 and my main two weapons are the 9mm or 10mm Pistols and the Cowboy Repeater.

I also currently have ED-E following behind me as a companion.

Questions I have are mostly revolving around weapons I should seek out that could give me a good standing against my enemies in the near future. On my previous playthrough, I ended up using a 9mm Pistol with a Scope for quite a long time in the game, along with any Rifles I could find. I'm not a big fan of machine guns, mainly because they're so inaccurate and waste ammo. The main thing I had difficulty with in my last playthrough were trying to kill enemies like Cazadors or Deathclaws. Regardless of how I atttempted to fight them, they also managed to subdue me in one or two hits.

Any advice to help me prepare for anything this game can off would be greatly appreciated.

Those weapons should be good enough to get you to Novac where you can get That Gun from Cliff Briscoe. There are also a few places in the Novac/Repconn/Boulder City area where you can get a Hunting Rifle. Ratslayer is good during point in the game, it is found in a cave just east of the Legion Camp from the quest Booted. The Lever Action shotgun in Boulder City saloon is pretty good.

Once you've gotten that farther getting to Vegas/McCarren/Gun Runners shouldn't be too tough opening things like sniper rifles, better handguns, shotguns and automatic weapons. I know you don't like automatic weapons, but they are much better against Cazadors than single shot weapons, Riot Shotgun is also very good against Cazadors.

Deathclaws are more about tactics and preparation. Sneak attacks with high damage single shot weapons are good, as is crippling their legs. Armor piercing bullets also help against them. If you put any points into explosives, explosive launcher type weapons are probably the best weapons against them, as they tend to have both good DAM and DPS and cripple limbs.
#4Otacon305Posted 5/10/2012 11:44:48 AM
I don't know if you're RPing or not, but if you're not, your build is garbage, which probably has a lot to do with the difficulty you're having.
---
Neither enemy nor friend...
#5Argyle_GargoylePosted 5/10/2012 11:48:27 AM
for cazadores, automatic weapons are your friend. use hollowpoint bullets regardless of the gun. cazadores have 0 DT so they receive the entire damage bonus with no penalty due to armor. explosives also work well. whatever you use, aim for the wings. if you cripple the wings, they have to crawl. they lose their speed and are easy to take down.

unless you know what you are doing, exploit terrain, or get lucky, you are probably not taking down a deathclaw at level 6. definitely not with those weapons.

go to the mojave outpost and do the quest for the ranger in the base. you have to kill a couple of ants and he'll give you a service rifle. that will serve you pretty well at that point of the game.

steer clear of deathclaws until you level a bit more and get some better equipment. DCs can be tough for high level couriers.

stick to the roads and you can avoid most of those tough type of enemies. you dont generally run into them unless you wander off the path. not a good plan for people new to the game.

if you do restart. consider reworking your SPECIAL a little. while it isnt the most crucial thing in the world, you will get a lot more benefit out of increase agility and luck that you will out of Charisma. also, you do not need your intelligence at 10, even without DLC (not sure if you have any or not)

there is some decent gear in primm that is really easy to get your hands on. more than enough to get you through to novac.
---
Slaughter is the best medicine.
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/7944/argylegargoyle.jpg - artwork by masterpug53
#6MacmillianNinjaPosted 5/10/2012 1:12:45 PM
For future reference, Charisma is practically useless, as there are only two perks in the game that require it, both of which are pretty much useless.
Intelligence doesn't need to be set to 10. You should be just fine maxing all the skills you use with no more than 7.
Also, don't forget that you can gain a permanent +1 to any/multiple specials of your choosing via the New Vegas Medical Clinic, for 4000+ Caps. With that being said, down to business.

Varmint Rifles, Hunting Rifles, Cowboy Repeaters, Service Rifles, 9mm Pistols, 10mm Pistols, .357 Magnums, and all their respective unique variants are great for your accuracy preference.
Leather Armor, Merc Armor, or Raider Armor are good early game Light Armor choices, as they're common and therefor easy to repair and offer decent protection,
Craig Boone is an excellent companion, found in Novac, but I personally feel he makes the game too easy due to being such a powerful companion.

Tackling Cazadors and Deathclaws early game can be irritating, but if absolutely necessary, bring decent companions and anti-venom to Cazador fights, and find a decent perch that Deathclaws cannot reach you on to fight them.

Overall, just play however you feel enjoyable, and don't get discouraged by particularly difficult parts. It's an awesome game.
---
http://i.imgur.com/UIW5I.png http://i.imgur.com/hZfBk.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/NVLjB.jpg http://i.imgur.com/0fX6x.jpg
#7ratlank501Posted 5/10/2012 1:33:40 PM

I don't know if you're RPing or not, but if you're not, your build is garbage, which probably has a lot to do with the difficulty you're having.

This. Charisma should be at one, intelligence at 4 (6 maximum), agility higher, luck and endurance higher.
---
It annoys me when people say RPG games.
#8nagacornPosted 5/10/2012 1:42:09 PM
ratlank501 posted...
This. Charisma should be at one, intelligence at 4 (6 maximum), agility higher, luck and endurance higher.

If anything high Charisma makes the game easier assuming you're using companions and he is. One point of CHA is going to increase your damage output more than any other one stat in the game. I think CHA is great stat for new players, as it allows you lean on your followers a little more while you're figuring out what you're doing. Also animal friend is actually a pretty good perk in two of the DLC.

Builds don't really matter too much in this game this game. Gear and tactics are about 100 times more important than any of your stats.
#9Noblesse_ObligePosted 5/10/2012 6:51:23 PM

If anything high Charisma makes the game easier assuming you're using companions and he is. One point of CHA is going to increase your damage output more than any other one stat in the game. I think CHA is great stat for new players, as it allows you lean on your followers a little more while you're figuring out what you're doing. Also animal friend is actually a pretty good perk in two of the DLC.

Builds don't really matter too much in this game this game. Gear and tactics are about 100 times more important than any of your stats.

He doesn't have enough luck for better criticals and enough agility for...sniper (i think, something good requires 6 agility). And companions are good with any level of charisma. So not only is his build suboptimal, it is legitimately bad. However, it is an easy game, so it doesn't really matter that much. The important thing is that you're wrong.
#10nagacornPosted 5/10/2012 9:23:00 PM
Noblesse_Oblige posted...
The important thing is that you're wrong.

I wasn't convinced of your argument at first, but this really made me realize you were right, you are a true master of rhetoric.