So a Double Perk/Perfect Character...

#1StrykeBlaydePosted 7/24/2012 11:55:03 PM
How exactly would I make a 'good' double perk and/or 'perfect' character? I looked at several older threads, but it really just sort of made me confused a little. Some perks didn't stay, all sorts of SPECIAL set-ups based on things you'd be getting, etc.

Is there some sort of specific thread I missed that detailed this, either here or another forum? If not, anyone have some insight as to how I would do this properly?
---
Jill/Wesker/Iron Man
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO7QC4Qq84Y
#2Otacon305Posted 7/24/2012 11:56:57 PM
Well that really depends on your opinion of a perfect character...
---
Neither enemy nor friend...
#3StrykeBlayde(Topic Creator)Posted 7/24/2012 11:59:47 PM
Otacon305 posted...

Um, I guess that would be a character with a high SPECIAL(like consecutive 8s or 9s or something), and all relevant skills at 90+ or 100(except Survival). At least, I'm guessing anyways.
---
Jill/Wesker/Iron Man
#4Otacon305Posted 7/25/2012 12:36:37 AM
StrykeBlayde posted...
Otacon305 posted...

Um, I guess that would be a character with a high SPECIAL(like consecutive 8s or 9s or something), and all relevant skills at 90+ or 100(except Survival). At least, I'm guessing anyways.

Well high SPECIAL isn't really all that useful, and getting it up to all 8s and 9s would require wasting a lot of perks on Intense Training or editing your save data. Neither of which is really worth it. Having high skills and good perks is better.

As for maxing skills, if you have all the DLCs, you can max every skill (including Survival) with several different set-ups.

Here was my base SPECIAL for my double perk "perfect" character, after the Goodsprings rebuild:
S - 6
P - 5
E - 8
C - 1
I - 7
A - 6
L - 7

With implants, traits, perks, and exploits it ended up looking like this:
S - 9 (implant and Reinforced Spine)
P - 6 (implant)
E - 8 (implant)
C - 2 (implant)
I - 8 (implant)
A - 10+ (Small Frame and Sierra Madre Vending Machine exploit)
L - 8 (implant)

With that set-up, I can get all the second round perks I want, I meet the STR requirement of every weapon in the game except the minigun/CZ57 Avenger, I have the PER to get Better Criticals, the END to get all the SPECIAL implants and either the sub-dermal armor or the monocyte breeder (I go for the armor), the INT to get enough skills points each level to max and pass every INT speech check that I know of, the AGL to reload and draw/holster in a snap, and LCK that can be boosted to 10 with the Naughty Nightwear and the Lucky Shades. This isn't even counting the extra point from completing Lonesome Road.

Taking Skilled as my second trait, getting the INT implant relatively early, taking Educated at level 4, and collecting most of the skill books in the game allowed me to max all my skills. I didn't even need to take Comprehension.
---
#5LancetJades(Moderator)Posted 7/25/2012 12:40:44 AM
First, a perfect character should be a jack-of-all-trades and theoretically be equipped to use any weapon type. If this isn't your cup of tea, that's fine, but I'd argue it's no longer adhering to any objective definition of "perfect." As such, my advise assumes you want to max all weapon skills and take perks for all weapon types. If you don't plan this, feel free to selectively ignore any advice pertaining to the weapon types you plan to forego.

I also don't factor in the ammo hotkey glitch, or the DM Agility glitch, the former because there's nothing TO factor in unless you want to specifically ignore all perks that pertain to ammo, and the latter because it's technically temporary Agility and thats icky.

Some things to consider:

-You can have 50 total perks if you take Dead Money perks at Lv2 and Lv4 (or Cannibal at 4).

-Two Lv50 perks can be taken.

-Take Skilled during the initial and rebuild trait choices for +10 to all skills. You can choose your permanent traits in OWB.

-Perks that lose effect when rebuilding your character can be taken during the rebuild instead (just plan for the needed SPECIAL and skills when planning the character).

-Getting all skills to 100 is easy with 5 or 6 INT (or even less, I don't know the specifics) and all skill books across the DLC. I managed with 6 INT (7 w/ implant) and keeping 2 of every book for my item collection (plus all extras from HH, and the skill book holotapes from OWB), though I took Comprehension too (I justified it with upgrading TPS to +10% crit rate).

Also, here's a list of perks I consider necessary on any "perfect" character, no exceptions.
-Travel Light (I don't care if you plan to use power armor, screw you)
-Hand Loader (powerful ammo is powerful)
-Vigilant Recycler (only with Mad Bomber too, otherwise blech)
-Toughness x2 (+6 DT is pretty nice, and with the implant, it's +10 total)
-Living Anatomy (the ability to see enemy HP and DT is amazing)
-Pack Rat (hardcore only, but I'd argue hardcore is needed for a "perfect" character)
-Rad Resistance (lol, just kidding)
-Math Wrath (with Action Person of course)
-Strong Back (for helping with a variety of weapons and ammo)
-Finesse
-Piercing Strike (essential for melee/unarmed)
-Silent Running (it's bonus is far too necessary for sneaking)
-Chemist (double duration for all consumables. absolutely mandatory)
-Jury Rigging (being able to repair anything from almost anywhere)
-Action Person x2 (with Math Wrath, of course)
-Better Criticals
-Concentrated Fire (it adds up!)
-Paralyzing Palm (unique and powerful effect)
-Laser Commander (large bonuses for lasers)
-Slayer (amazingly fast melee attacks)
-Heavyweight (makes a lot of heavy weapons much more usable)
-Cowboy and Grunt (for a good bonus to a lot of weapons' damage)
-Implant GRX x2 (to kill things ten times before they hit the ground)
-Them's Good Eatin (infinitely powerful healing items)
-Burden to Bear (same as Strong Back)
-Any two Lv50 perks

That's 29 perks (30 if you count my joke Rad Resistance choice).

I'd also advise, since you're not hurting for perk slots, either Rad Absorption or Rad Child + Atomic!. My rationale is that Rad Absorption allows you to survive infinitely if you can get away from rads (this is more a survival concept perk than a highly functional one, although it'll save you loads of RadAway), and the latter two make high rad levels extremely potent with massive HP and AP regen bonuses. Atomic! also makes movement in irradiated areas a breeze.
---
Eclipsing power is, at times, not only the instrument of demons, but also of gods.
Lost, but not forgotten.
#6StrykeBlayde(Topic Creator)Posted 7/25/2012 1:09:26 PM
Otacon305 posted...
Here was my base SPECIAL for my double perk "perfect" character, after the Goodsprings rebuild:
S - 6
P - 5
E - 8
C - 1
I - 7
A - 6
L - 7

With implants, traits, perks, and exploits it ended up looking like this:
S - 9 (implant and Reinforced Spine)
P - 6 (implant)
E - 8 (implant)
C - 2 (implant)
I - 8 (implant)
A - 10+ (Small Frame and Sierra Madre Vending Machine exploit)
L - 8 (implant)

I see, though at the same time, I don't know if a Strength of 9 would be better than a Strength of 8(or even 7 so there's another point somewhere else) + Weapon Handling, due to taking the "No Poison Damage" upgrade instead.....All of these things just make me sort of confused, you wouldn't think making an 'Uber' character would be so hard :P

LancetJades posted...
Stuff I can't possibly shorten down so I'm making this small message to say so.

Alright, I think I understand a little. However, I'm still not 100% sure on what perks I'm suppose to take on the first round, due to them not carrying over for the second round.
---
Jill/Wesker/Iron Man
#7Otacon305Posted 7/25/2012 3:27:09 PM
StrykeBlayde posted...

I see, though at the same time, I don't know if a Strength of 9 would be better than a Strength of 8(or even 7 so there's another point somewhere else) + Weapon Handling, due to taking the "No Poison Damage" upgrade instead.....All of these things just make me sort of confused, you wouldn't think making an 'Uber' character would be so hard :P

I don't know, I consider Weapon Handling kind of a waste of a perk, even on a level 50 double perk character. It's not like any of the other SPECIAL attributes in that setup need anymore points. The difference would be negligible.
---
#8LancetJades(Moderator)Posted 7/25/2012 4:45:50 PM
I would strongly suggest aiming for 10 STR total (7 base, +1 implant, +2 temporary from the OWB perk), simply for the sake of the carry capacity. This plus both capacity perks (Strong Back and Burden to Bear), because why not?

You can dump PER, and make cuts on INT and CHR to ensure END, LCK, STR, and (unless doing the DM glitch), AGL. Even throw in a couple Intense Trainings if you really want, although I personally never have a problem finding a perk for any given slot like a lot of people seem to.

Also, for a "perfect" character, all implants should be mandatory, meaning start with 9 END. None of this "7 END and ignire CHR and regen implants" nonsense. Every point you put into END up to 7 is essentially a free SPECIAL point (since you get the END point AND +1 to another stat), and beyond that you get HP regen, which no matter how minor, is still something, and +4 DT.

While not my preference, also consider choosing perks that will allow you to unlock other perks. Such as Cannibal (to enable the two perks based on it, the "eating on the go" perk, and Meat of Champions), Mysterious Stranger (for the "more appearances" perk), and other similar unlockable perks.
---
Eclipsing power is, at times, not only the instrument of demons, but also of gods.
Lost, but not forgotten.
#9Otacon305Posted 7/25/2012 5:41:35 PM
Well I always play a stealthy, no stim/chem/stealthboy/mag/etc character, only healing health and rads by sleeping. So no Cannibal, Meat of Champions, Thems Good Eatin', Monocyte Breeder, etc.

You can't dump PER lower than 5 if you want must-have perk Better Criticals, and Sniper, which isn't must-have, but still a great perk.

Personally, I think the Monocyte Breeder is garbage regardless of regular/HC mode, and build. Hell, the Vault 13 Canteen is better.

I don't like Mysterious Stranger or Miss Fortune either. I don't want either of them coming around when I'm trying to VATS someone with the Compliance Regulator or get a Paralyzing Palm.
---
#10LancetJades(Moderator)Posted 7/25/2012 5:52:41 PM
Otacon305 posted...
Well I always play a stealthy, no stim/chem/stealthboy/mag/etc character, only healing health and rads by sleeping. So no Cannibal, Meat of Champions, Thems Good Eatin', Monocyte Breeder, etc.

You can't dump PER lower than 5 if you want must-have perk Better Criticals, and Sniper, which isn't must-have, but still a great perk.

Personally, I think the Monocyte Breeder is garbage regardless of regular/HC mode, and build. Hell, the Vault 13 Canteen is better.

I don't like Mysterious Stranger or Miss Fortune either. I don't want either of them coming around when I'm trying to VATS someone with the Compliance Regulator or get a Paralyzing Palm.

Well, this is regarding a perfect character, not a specifically-limited character. And PER can be dumped if you take BC (and Sniper if desired) on the initial perk build.
---
Lost, but not forgotten.