Brotherhood of Steel

#1harleyknightPosted 9/27/2012 7:33:41 PM
In Fallout 3, they were all about the bullets. The Outcasts used energy weapons but I never saw the Brotherhood using them.
In Fallout: New Vegas, all they use is energy weapons. So what gives? Anyone know more on the lore about that?
---
"Grown-ups never understand anything for themselves, and it is tiresome for children to be always and forever explaining things to them."
#2Otacon305Posted 9/27/2012 8:08:43 PM
The Outcasts stole many of their energy weapon stock during The Schism. They mostly rely on Assault Rifles and Miniguns, with a few individuals carrying other, more specialized weapons (Star Paladin Cross and the Lyons' Pride). Scribes often seem to carry Laser Pistols, as well. They gain access to a great stock of Energy Weapons after their victories over The Enclave, but they don't seem to start using them immediately, from what I remember.
---
Neither enemy nor friend...
#3jakezing33Posted 9/27/2012 8:53:06 PM
Otacon305 posted...
The Outcasts stole many of their energy weapon stock during The Schism. They mostly rely on Assault Rifles and Miniguns, with a few individuals carrying other, more specialized weapons (Star Paladin Cross and the Lyons' Pride). Scribes often seem to carry Laser Pistols, as well. They gain access to a great stock of Energy Weapons after their victories over The Enclave, but they don't seem to start using them immediately, from what I remember.

when most of your membership is barely competent with normal weapons wastelanders, would you trust em with the weapons that can melt people?
---
Currently Playing: Fallout: New Vegas, Fallout 3
Xbox: Ssteiner209 | Steam: jakezing
#4Cosmic_DiabeticPosted 9/27/2012 9:05:01 PM
what? when i think of energy weapons i think of BoS. there whole mission is to get there hands on high tech stuff.
#5Otacon305Posted 9/27/2012 9:12:57 PM
jakezing33 posted...
Otacon305 posted...

when most of your membership is barely competent with normal weapons wastelanders, would you trust em with the weapons that can melt people?

If I trusted them with power armor and covering my back, I would like to.
---
Neither enemy nor friend...
#6DrunkenPeasantPosted 9/28/2012 6:49:29 PM(edited)
Well they're pretty much cut off from the rest of the brotherhood chapters which means when a laser rifle breaks or runs out of ammo sending for replacement parts is out of the question. Also ordinary guns I imagine would be a lot more reliable, given that they see action against the DC Supermutants on a near enough daily basis it helps to have weapons that can take the strain of extended use and have an abundant supply of ammunition as well as adequete replacement parts.

The Brotherhood in DC have a war to fight, they need whatever they can get and there probably aren't enough energy weapons to go around, especially given that the outcasts have ran off with such a large cache of them which doesn't help.

Given that they see so much regular action and suffer such high casualties it makes sense to withhold the more advanced energy weapons in case they're lost on the battlefield when the knight wielding it is killed, chances are if he/she is killed in the middle of no-mans land then the weapon is pretty much lost too, probably looted by a Supermutant/raider before the Brotherhood can retrieve it.

It's like in WW2 with soviets, they didn't give just any soldier an SVT-40 they gave most of them them the more simple nagants, more reliable and more widely available. You loose a soldier with SVT-40 you loose an expensive rifle, you loose a soldier with a Mosin nagant, then you haven't lost much in terms of equipment there are many more just like it. Same principle with the weapons in fallout 3, granted in fallout decent guns aren't always widely available, but they're less rare than energy weapons.
---
"I used to rescue presidents, then I took an arrow in the knee...and still rescued the president." -Snake Plissken