New info about Fallout 4

#21fineline122Posted 1/12/2013 9:52:24 AM
ReturnOfFrank posted...
Why would they strip out the SPECIAL system when it's been the core element of fallout since day one? Might aswell get rid of VATS too if that's the case!

False equivalence. SPECIAL is a gimmick. There is no reason that those particular skills HAVE to be used. We have already had multiple threads on the uselessness of Charisma. VATS is totally different. It's a very good element to the game. Otherwise, I guess it would have to be all live-action combat like a FPS.

Though I think FO is a much better game than Skyrim, I like the way you level up in Skyrim better. You use a skill and thus, get better at it., just like, you know, real life. I would prefer, however, that learning a lot in one skill should limit how much you can learn in another skill, just to make things more interesting.

Think of this: in NV, you got 25 XP for killing a gecko, which was very easy to do. You got 50 XP to kill a Deathclaw, which is much harder to kill. That is just freaking stupid, imo. So I kill a bunch of Geckos and all the sudden I'm better at lockpicking? WTF?
#22doi4inPosted 1/12/2013 9:56:46 AM
"The progression system from Fallout 4 may be closer to Skyrim, in that you level up specific skills by using them."

Facepalm...
#23xanthan1Posted 1/12/2013 10:53:54 AM
fineline122 posted...
ReturnOfFrank posted...
Why would they strip out the SPECIAL system when it's been the core element of fallout since day one? Might aswell get rid of VATS too if that's the case!

False equivalence. SPECIAL is a gimmick. There is no reason that those particular skills HAVE to be used. We have already had multiple threads on the uselessness of Charisma. VATS is totally different. It's a very good element to the game. Otherwise, I guess it would have to be all live-action combat like a FPS.

Though I think FO is a much better game than Skyrim, I like the way you level up in Skyrim better. You use a skill and thus, get better at it., just like, you know, real life. I would prefer, however, that learning a lot in one skill should limit how much you can learn in another skill, just to make things more interesting.

Think of this: in NV, you got 25 XP for killing a gecko, which was very easy to do. You got 50 XP to kill a Deathclaw, which is much harder to kill. That is just freaking stupid, imo. So I kill a bunch of Geckos and all the sudden I'm better at lockpicking? WTF?

Ahem. Shut up. SPECIAL is not a gimmick, its the type of system they use for characters. By your (crappy) logic ALL games that involve character progress are gimmicks. Also Charisma isn't useless, what idiot told you that?

There is ZERO reason to get rid of SPECIAL just like there was no reason for Skyrim's moronic changes, or hell Oblivion's changes. I hope Beth just dies off so companies that can actually write their way out of a paper bag could make more Fallout of Elder Scrolls games, maybe then they wouldn't just keep dumbing things down for no reason each game.
#24Mobile_PlatformPosted 1/12/2013 2:03:56 PM
I'm fine with skills leveling up via use, but removing perks would be the dumbest thing they could do. That's ingrained into Fallout.
---
"Well, you know the old saying: When life gives you lemons... go murder a clown." --Festus Krex
#25nagacornPosted 1/12/2013 2:21:24 PM
xanthan1 posted...
I hope Beth just dies off so companies that can actually write their way out of a paper bag could make more Fallout of Elder Scrolls games, maybe then they wouldn't just keep dumbing things down for no reason each game.

No need for Bethesda to go away, just for other companies to get their games out there as well, there is room for both. Elder Scrolls isn't a such a good setting it needs endless sequels anyway and main themes in Fallout have been told plenty, so if Bethesda makes them in a certain way I don't like I'll just skip them and play something else. I'm definitely more interested in Project Eternity than the next Fallout or Elder Scrolls game,
#26LethalAffinityPosted 1/12/2013 2:41:02 PM
Damn I was hoping for New Orleans or something.
---
http://i.imgur.com/o22hh.gif
Seminiferous Tubloidial Buttnoids
#27jakezing33Posted 1/12/2013 2:51:09 PM
LethalAffinity posted...
Damn I was hoping for New Orleans or something.

flooded ruins
---
"Have you accepted Twilight Sparkle into your life?"
"Every board is a debate board when jakezing is around!"
#28CoIdVeinPosted 1/13/2013 12:57:10 AM
I wish Obsidian had a hand in this. FO3 was great when I first played it, but after NV it feels so shallow. Skyrim was an epic fail of mass proportions.....I'm worried about FO4 because Bethesda is incompetent in the writing department.
#29ReturnOfFrankPosted 1/13/2013 5:38:50 AM
xanthan1 posted...
fineline122 posted...
ReturnOfFrank posted...

Ahem. Shut up. SPECIAL is not a gimmick, its the type of system they use for characters. By your (crappy) logic ALL games that involve character progress are gimmicks. Also Charisma isn't useless, what idiot told you that?

There is ZERO reason to get rid of SPECIAL just like there was no reason for Skyrim's moronic changes, or hell Oblivion's changes. I hope Beth just dies off so companies that can actually write their way out of a paper bag could make more Fallout of Elder Scrolls games, maybe then they wouldn't just keep dumbing things down for no reason each game.

Exactly, SPECIAL has been the core element of the fallout games since FO1, removing this and adding a skyrim type system would be pretty stupid. I like the skill, leveling and perk system in fallout games, there is no need whatsoever for it to change.

Skyrim was terrible imo, redeemed only by some beautiful scenery and interesting ruins. The voice acting was terrible (half american, half american attempting norse accents). Making the game more like skyrim would kill off the last of the series charm totally.
#30fineline122Posted 1/13/2013 5:59:09 AM(edited)
The only reason anyone thinks SPECIAL is so great is because of the gimmicky name. The different numbers you put in the attributes have almost no effect on the game (except for INT because of the skill points you get). We have had multiple threads on this.

As far as calling it a 'core' element of the game, well, yes, it has been in the game since FO1, but so what if they change it? The first two games used a top-down isometric view or whatever's it's called, so that was a 'core' element as well. Then they went to first-person and the game got even better.