Unplayable Lag

#1NateRose89Posted 10/26/2011 9:01:46 AM
Hey ive got a file I just hit 85 hours on, I have been lucky with this game, it has only frozen 4 times on me in 85 hours. All of a sudden though the last few hours of gameplay I have suddenly been hit with these lag spikes. I'm not talking 2-3 seconds of lag, I'm talking permanent, It just stays like that, cant run, takes an hour to even get the pip boy up. Have had to reset 20 times. Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a fix, I tried deleting the game data file and re-installing but that did sweet FA. Cheers
#2IminyourclosetPosted 10/26/2011 9:05:34 AM(edited)
Where are you in the game? When specifically does it happen?

Some locations experience significantly more lag than others, sometimes triggered by the autosave feature.
---
"I think all you gotta do is find that little black kid, and doesn't that start the whole backdoor option?" -WHiTE_LickR
#3SirDan88Posted 10/26/2011 9:06:35 AM
It's just something that happens now more often after the last DLC. Basically once your file gets a to a certain size you are on borrowed time and at any moment you will get those lag spikes. The only thing you can do is reset the game
---
PSN: Ellis4Life
#4NateRose89(Topic Creator)Posted 10/26/2011 9:07:55 AM
My autosave is all off, it's at random times in random places. For example in Freeside when I told the King he can have more power, water etc if he stops harrassing NCR it suddenly happened out of the blue. BAM had to reset. Random times like that
#5NateRose89(Topic Creator)Posted 10/26/2011 9:08:57 AM
SirDan88 posted...
It's just something that happens now more often after the last DLC. Basically once your file gets a to a certain size you are on borrowed time and at any moment you will get those lag spikes. The only thing you can do is reset the game

I had a feeling that was it. Thanks mate. Luckily the game is so good it doesnt bother me as much!
#6SirDan88Posted 10/26/2011 12:42:19 PM
Yea I'm in the same spot. My drive to do as much as possible in this game keeps me going when it happens. Luckily it doesn't end up in freezes too often and you have the option to quit the game and go back to the XMB. It's quicker plus it isn't as taxing as restarting your PS3 after a freeze.
---
PSN: Ellis4Life
#7PatrickVReganPosted 10/26/2011 8:00:11 PM
Yeah, when my PS3 freezes like that I just let turn my PS3 off and let it cool down for 10 minutes or so. That is mostly when I go to GameFAQs and read around.

Should I just exit the game before doing this next time? Sounds a lot less bothersome to my poor old PS3.
---
Playing: Pokemon Heart Gold / Fallout New Vegas
Progress: Badges=16 / 9% - PSN ID: P-V-R-Omega
#8seano8403Posted 10/26/2011 11:13:49 PM
'It's just something that happens now more often after the last DLC'

Wait is it the Lonesome Road DLC that's causing the lag (or is it the last weapons packages...)? I haven't started it yet, but could I just delete that DLC and would it get my game running smoother? Or would that just corrupt my save file? If it's Lonesome Road that's causing the issue, does it make a difference (between the save file being corrupted or not if I choose to delete) that I haven't started that DLC yet?

I'd happily get rid of it if it means I can get my game working smoothly again.
#9PatrickVReganPosted 10/27/2011 8:32:36 PM
I have no clue, from day one I've had all of the DLC installed.
---
Playing: Pokemon Heart Gold / Fallout New Vegas
Progress: Badges=16 / 9% - PSN ID: P-V-R-Omega
#10PadreVPosted 10/28/2011 9:45:16 AM
I had the most trouble with "Old World Blues". I could play indoors, but the moment I stepped outside, it lagged to unplayable regardless of what I did.

I started a whole new game and just worked my way up to level 20+ by doing minor quests and killin stuff. My save file was around 6000+ KB and this allowed me to complete Old World Blues without the game breaking lag. Of course, it still happens at random in different places, but as SirDan88 pointed out, I can just save it, quit to the XMB and reload. That usually fixes the problem for a while.

I know I'm thrilled they created a new engine for Skyrim... and most likely, Fallout 4 will be using that when it comes out.
---
Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis. Si vis pacem, para bellum.