Does anyone know what actually determines pickpocketing success?

#1Isaac_RedfieldPosted 11/1/2010 7:27:07 PM
I know Sneak is a huge part of it, but it can't be the only thing. Before, with only a 7 luck and the default Sneak and a Stealth Boy (which "puts" you at 100 Sneak) I could pickpocket Cram Opener around 30% of the time without getting caught. With a 10 luck and a Stealth Boy, I've been caught 100% of the time out of around 25 attempts.
---
What would Kratos do?
#2farmer zekePosted 11/1/2010 8:12:10 PM
Sneak and Pickpocket are the same thing in Fallout 3 and New Vegas (before Steal was a separate skill). The in-game text says Agility affects sneak, I'm not sure how much though.

It also depends on the weight of the item and the target's Perception.

I have 7 Agility, tons of Sneak, and I never get caught pickpocketing.
---
Look at me still talking when there's science to do.
#3farmer zekePosted 11/1/2010 8:13:57 PM
Also Cram Opener is 10 lbs, that is probably why it's so hard.
---
Look at me still talking when there's science to do.
#4Cutlass_JackPosted 11/1/2010 8:23:12 PM
Luck has nothing to do with it (aside from skill bonus). Its Your stealth vs. the owners perception. Size of the item and environmental factors also affect the success rate. Its far easier to pick a key off a sleeping target at night than a 10 lb weapon in the middle of the day while they're awake hitting a punching bag.

Btw, once you complete the bounty quests at the camp there, the owner of that particular weapon wanders over to Freeside and gets himself killed in an alley.

You'll be able to pick it off his corpse with 100% success no matter what your skill. ;)
#5ZaharadinePosted 11/1/2010 8:38:44 PM
Value of the item matters considerably more than anything else. I reloaded over 100 times using a stealth boy, and even the console at one point, trying to pickpocket Maria from Benny and failed every single time. I have never failed to pickpocket any valueless item like a key or shell casing yet. With 255 sneak, and Benny at 1 perception, I still failed every time.
#6Kosba_2142Posted 11/1/2010 9:05:39 PM
^ Seems like you're clearly over exaggeration, doing something wrong, or a combination of the two.
---
"You get to wear a skirt and feel dastardly evil aswell!"~SN_Ninja
"This game seems much less judgemental than Fallout 3.."~CaptainAmerica9
#7jk2lPosted 11/1/2010 9:08:50 PM
@farmer zeke it affect skill points, i think 1 AG = 2 sneaks point. you can test this by equiping any armor with +/- Agility. then you can see a (+) or (-) in skill page
#8ColonelBauerPosted 11/1/2010 9:20:00 PM

You have to be unseen (undetected) or 180 degrees behind somebody to get away with it. Once you've been detected pick pocketing you can't get away with it until you try again later. Same for stealing. You can use the Z key to drag/carry something around a corner or out of site and take it with E there.

#9Isaac_Redfield(Topic Creator)Posted 11/1/2010 9:41:09 PM
"Luck has nothing to do with it (aside from skill bonus). Its Your stealth vs. the owners perception. Size of the item and environmental factors also affect the success rate. Its far easier to pick a key off a sleeping target at night than a 10 lb weapon in the middle of the day while they're awake hitting a punching bag.

Btw, once you complete the bounty quests at the camp there, the owner of that particular weapon wanders over to Freeside and gets himself killed in an alley.

You'll be able to pick it off his corpse with 100% success no matter what your skill. ;)"

a) He never would go to sleep, which is what I was trying to get him to d
b) I had very little problems picking him on my other two playthroughs -- now it simply does not work ever
c) The point is to get it early, not after multiple quests. At this point I simply decided to ignore him and rush to Pushy.
---
What would Kratos do?
#10Isaac_Redfield(Topic Creator)Posted 11/1/2010 9:43:47 PM
"Sneak and Pickpocket are the same thing"

No, your pickpocket skill level is the same as your Sneak skill level, but they aren't the "same thing", pickpocketing is just an ability that's part of a general perk. Anyway, notice I said "it's a part of" meaning there are other factors involved?
---
What would Kratos do?