Fellout or project reality?

#1pkmnpkmnPosted 10/2/2011 6:55:43 PM
I can't use nevada skies for some reason, the sky goes pitch black and red exclamation points fill the screen, my FPS goes to *** and I CTD.
---
A neutron walks into a bar and asks the bartender, "How much for a drink?" To which the bartender replies, "For you, no charge! ~wadsworth
#2capgamerPosted 10/2/2011 7:20:04 PM
Dunno about project reality but I found Fellout to be really annoying. Basically, it makes it so you can't see anything at night. If that's your thing, go ahead. Didn't care for it.
---
It's like racism, except to only one person. -Todasmile
It's tough never being right. - Eric Shinseki
#3trunks76140Posted 10/2/2011 7:49:41 PM
Are you using the Archive Invalidation thingy in either Fallout Mod Manager or an addon version of it? That big red ! is generally a sign of the game saying "oh this file isn't right, I'm not going to use it!" or at least that is how I understand it. I think if you're using a mod that changes the models, textures, sounds, etc (basically anything not in the base game when it comes to looks/sound) you need that or it wont work. Whether Fellout or Project Reality also require it I don't know, but my gut is saying yes since both probably mess with the sky to make it more blue, which is sort of one of the points of all the mods listed....

capgamer, I have a feeling PR will do the same. I've not heard of it, but I have heard of both NSkies and Fellout. Both mods are similar, so it's easy to guess that PR will be the same. Also supporting that is that in general NSkies and Fellout aim to make the game a little more realistic in lighting (NSkies even has a version based off "Ultra Realistic World Lighting, or URWL), and with a name like Project Reality... Think on it for second though, how much light would you realistically expect in a setting like what is given to us in New Vegas?

Now that doesn't mean that darker nights are better for gameplay, and so certainly not for everyone, but it is more realistic. For those interested in making the game more "real" though, it really becomes necessary to offset it with other mods. A popular one that helps somewhat is Electro City. Then of course there are all sorts of "night vision" ones out there, and Project Nevada has built in low light vision as an option. You can easily see these fitting with the realistic nature of NSkies, Fellout, and PR. But again, it isn't for everyone.
#4SKA_Posted 10/2/2011 11:18:34 PM
fellout and nevada skies are too good to not use. others as well as myself found it odd that you could see as well at night as you could during the day, takes away from immersion.

as said already, you need to have the invalidation running constantly. get the mod from nexus and follow the directions. the red exclamation marks are you not correctly running the mod or you didnt correctly install it.
---
it's not easy being this awesome and modest
#5SuicidalPopePosted 10/3/2011 8:24:24 AM
FYI, with PR, unless it's been updated recently, there's a small problem with it that causes nights to be too dark, to the point you can't see in front of you, even with your pipboy light on.

The creator of the mod said it'd be fixed in the next version, so until then, I'd go with Fellout.
---
Sector Z was the worst Nintendo game I wasted my money on. Nothing reminds me of it, thankfully. - dueric
#6DelixePosted 10/4/2011 9:53:33 AM
Project Reality is really nice to look at but it came with a major hit to my fps dropping from ~60 to below 30. I'm unsure if it imposes it's own 30fps cap or not but when I removed it and changed back to Nevada Skies my frame rates jumped up again.
#7pkmnpkmn(Topic Creator)Posted 10/4/2011 12:34:04 PM
the thing with archiveinvalidation is that I already installed it and it still has all these texture errors, even after I installed it through fomod.
---
A neutron walks into a bar and asks the bartender, "How much for a drink?" To which the bartender replies, "For you, no charge! ~wadsworth
#8trunks76140Posted 10/4/2011 3:22:35 PM
pkmnpkmn posted...
the thing with archiveinvalidation is that I already installed it and it still has all these texture errors, even after I installed it through fomod.

try toggling it on and off again. Sometimes it takes a couple times to work right and activate for everything. I know that sounds odd, but I was running a texture pack before and only like half the textures would load for some reason. The rest went to their default game ones. I toggled it off then on and suddenly all the "missing" textures would load.

You should also check the load order of your mods and check for any compatibility patches for them. I believe NSkies needs to be towards the end of the load order, unless you have a couple other mods that were designed to go under it. I don't think besides the DLC) there are any compatibility patches you need to have though, but it never hurts to check.
#9Sk0rbutPosted 10/5/2011 3:03:59 AM
I may be wrong about this but they way I understand it a missing archiveinvalidation cannot be the reason for red exclamation marks. Archiveinvalidation only enables mods to use alternative resources for the ones coming with the game, so a missing achiveinvalidation leads to the vanilla models and textures being used instead of the ones supplied by the mod. Red exclamation marks should only result from mod resources that are either missing, borked or placed in the wrong subdirectories.
---
"A man with an axe and a plan is a hell of a force in today's society where so few wear armor" - C. Bucholz
#10DelixePosted 10/5/2011 9:55:51 AM
Pretty much. The Red triangles are missing meshes and the pink/purple skin is missing textures. If you have Archive Invalidation installed and you are getting those then it's likely the FOMOD installation was borked somehow or one mod is conflicting and overwriting another one.