is it easy to mod/patch steam version with community releases?

#1spec0688Posted 10/18/2010 4:41:08 AM
I never really bought any games from steam that can be heavily modded or patched through community releases, just wondering if there will be a problem or more of a hassle doing this with the steam version.

thanks
#2entity_codePosted 10/18/2010 4:43:24 AM

Not really, it could be done with Oblivion and Fallout 3, you just have to make sure Steam doesn't update the game automatically.

#3UneePosted 10/18/2010 6:19:43 AM
I'm pretty sure it'll be easy. Just put all the stuff you would mod in the steam folder where the game is located, that's it. Even when Fallout 3 updated my mods were still intact.
---
Xbox live GT: Racian
#4kenlee25Posted 10/18/2010 1:44:32 PM
i did it with fallout 3. its easy. plus the store version uses steam to play anyway.
#5jethro6Posted 10/18/2010 1:45:33 PM
Yeah, they'll probably integrate it into the game a bit more like with Civilization V.

---
Steam/PSN ID: Jetamo
http://iamjethro.com
#6Timbo418Posted 10/18/2010 1:47:12 PM
It just changes the directory you put stuff in. Modding TES IV, FO3, even DA:O on steam just means that you go to program files/steam/common/gametitle instead of program files/developername/gametitle
---
Everybody makes broad generalizations.
#7kindianbluePosted 10/18/2010 1:56:56 PM
There wasn't any issues installing mods for FO3 with Steam, and now New Vegas is going to be Steam-reliant, so there really isn't going to be a problem with it at all since the modders will likely be using the Steam version themselves.

I'm sure a mod manager is going to be built ASAP, and will obviously take Steam into effect when installing mods, which will make it all even easier.

I remember Oblivion Script Extender had problems with Steam, and so Steam actually reached out to the modders who made the Script Extender and worked with them to make it Steam compatible. Steam is awesome like that, and I really wouldn't worry.
#8ChronochrossPosted 10/18/2010 2:07:54 PM
Valve directly supports mods all the time and they want to do whatever they can to support them, so if there is an issue, they'll try to resolve it.
#9KratierPosted 10/18/2010 2:15:14 PM
nope, there is no script extender exe, without it you cannot circumvent the DRM (which is illegal btw), and most modding doesnt work without it, most mods are made for it /require it in fallout 3

also steam will did consistency checks on all your content, so if you try to add mods like that is DLC illegally, or try to circumvent DRM (which is illegal x2) you will get VAC banned and your entire account disabled

but adding random stuff is fine, just dont try to change the exe file or try to circumvent the dlc, specifically the reason people used script extender was to bypass windows live with fallout 3
#10giocarePosted 10/18/2010 2:20:47 PM

nope, there is no script extender exe, without it you cannot circumvent the DRM (which is illegal btw), and most modding doesnt work without it, most mods are made for it /require it in fallout 3

FOSE works with Steam, unless I am misunderstanding what you are talking about.