How do you enable console?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout: New Vegas
  3. How do you enable console?
6 years ago#1
In FO3 on my old desktop i had to do something special to get the console to pop up, and i was wondering on my laptop (windows 7 64 bit) if i need to do the same i tried pressing the tilda ~ key in game but it doesn't do anything.
I don't know if there is a enable console button in settings but was wondering if anyone had to do something extra to get their console to open up?
Prof. Membrane: "Son,There better not be any walking dead up there!"
Dib: "Nothing to worry about dad, and i said i was sorry about that!"
6 years ago#2
bump, I also, am in the exact same situation, I remember I had to do something in Fallout 3 but I can't remember what.
The most objective point of view is a cynical one.
6 years ago#3
Mine was enabled by default, not sure what issue you two are having.
6 years ago#4
in the INI text file, theres a line that says enableconsole 0 (or similar). Change the 0 to 1, save the file, and boot the game. then hit the ` key.
All Systems, Full Power!
6 years ago#5
If you have an IR receiver connected to your computer the ehome(something device) needs to be disabled in the device manager settings, cause the IR device changes the ~ key to something else.
6 years ago#6
That sounds very familiar (the ini file suggestion) and I'm guessing you are talking about this file:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\fallout new vegas\Fallout_default.ini

Problem is that I only have an option called bAllowConsole and it is already set to 1.
bAllowConsole=1

I looked at the other topics about the Infrared device/ehome and I don't have any devices like that and none appear in Device Manager so I'm sure that's not the problem...
6 years ago#7
Thats right, enableconsole was half life I think. its always something glaringly obvious anyway.

But it looks like your issue is something else then.
All Systems, Full Power!
6 years ago#8
I had this issue with my laptop as well, its the IR receiver messing things up for you.

Control Panel>Device Manager>Human Interface Devices

Look for an infrared receiver and disable that. Tilde should now open the console for you.
Why is it that no matter how much you shake and dance, the last drop is always on your pants?
6 years ago#9
On my computer its the button directly above the tilde key (the most top-left key).
You'd shoot a man in the back?
It's the safest way, isn't it?
6 years ago#10
I figured out what the problem was for me - I was playing with the xbox 360 controller and apparently that disables the ~ key. As soon as I unplugged the controller and started the game up the ~ key worked.

I suspected that might be the problem but at the same time I didn't really think it could be because most of the other keyboard buttons still work...thanks for the suggestions everyone. TC - sorry for hijacking your topic, hopefully one of these suggestions fixes it for you!
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout: New Vegas
  3. How do you enable console?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived