Is there a way to install this without steam?

#21ChronochrossPosted 10/23/2010 10:55:47 AM
I'm honestly laughing at the arguments against Steam in this thread. For the guy who says he can't download the game because of slow internet, go buy a disc and install it that way, activate it once (which if you can connect to GameFAQs, you can connect to Steam for all of 3 seconds.) And to the guy who says you HAVE to download a patch whenever it comes out and that could slow down your internet.... Right click game > Properties > Update > Change to Do not automatically update this game. It's almost as if Valve heard these complaints several years ago and implemented fixes then...
#22wis3boiPosted 10/23/2010 10:57:45 AM

Bigj089 posted...
They feel special about hating steam, that is why we get a cap ton of posts about Steam wah wah cry qq.

Steam is awesome. Especially when they have -really-good- sales.

Forgot what month when they had daily developer/publisher packs of games. Seriously 60 games for 50 bucks~!

Yeah it could have nothing to do with actual reasons like having to download a large patch after buying a game when its been out for a bit and your internet downloads at about 25 kbs or you get a game and cant connect to Steam to install it. Its none of those, just blind hate because its the cool thing to do.
---
I hate pineapple pizza but I don't boycott pizza shops that offer that abomination.--The Liberator

right click game shortcut, turn off auto updates...problem solved. Next complaint?

#23Bigj089Posted 10/23/2010 8:23:30 PM
I tried that with Supreme Commander 2 and it still made me download the patches before I could play it
---
I hate pineapple pizza but I don't boycott pizza shops that offer that abomination.--The Liberator
#24kaiser_souzaiPosted 10/25/2010 4:41:35 PM
I can't believe I just read through all these posts bashing people who want to install a copy of the disc purchased game. If you don't have anything helpful to say please build a new thread to defend your hurt feelings. I'm currently living in a hotel, and all gaming ports are blocked. FML. Does anybody have any helpful tips?

I feel for you oil rig man; I've been stuck in this hotel since August, and don't leave until December. Island fever FTW!!
#25Icey_The_LionPosted 10/25/2010 4:48:57 PM
if you want to own 100% of what you buy do not buy video games at all.
because you do not own the game you own 1 license to play the game.
you never actually own the software.

It's impossible to own 100% of what you buy. You can buy the land, but the government can still kick you out. So long as you live in a place with people, you will never own 100% of anything. Ever. Ain't civilization a *****?
---
Dark_SilverX ~ He's a lion made of hot steamy ice.
You call me inegegege, I call it trolling.
#26Jts743Posted 10/25/2010 4:50:26 PM

I tried that with Supreme Commander 2 and it still made me download the patches before I could play it

that probably has to do with the fact that the game had online play, which most cases of games like that require that your game is up to date before you can play it.
---
shake em up, shake em up, shake em up, shake em
Upcoming Interests: SW: TOR, D3, S2, M:OM, Zelda, HG/SS
#27Jar_Of_FIiesPosted 10/25/2010 5:04:12 PM
Steam is a waste of memory, you should be able to run games without it. It's cool and all, but it's not worth it.
---
PSN: J-O-F
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197981470523/
#28SinisterSamuraiPosted 10/25/2010 5:12:22 PM
After my brother purchased Fallout 3 on Steam, I used Fallout Mod Manager to launch Fallout 3 and the expansions without Steam while he was logged into another location.

I bought NV on my own Steam account, but I imagine the same trick will still work.

Jar_Of_FIies Posted 10/25/2010 8:04:12 PM
"Steam is a waste of memory, you should be able to run games without it. It's cool and all, but it's not worth it."

Not worth it? It's free and easy on processing power.
---
Parsons: "'The art of fighting without fighting'? Show me some of it."
Lee: *nods* "Later."
#29rahlhunterPosted 10/25/2010 5:21:38 PM
If you're going to be on an island or oil rig with nothing but crappy satellite or dial up internet, that is your choice and your hate against online activation is unwarranted. As was mentioned, you can install store bought copies of STEAM games from their disc after the initial STEAM activation which takes all of 30 seconds, even on crappy dial up or Satellite connections. After that you can just install from the disc, set STEAM to offline mode and never have to deal with it again for the duration of your stay at whatever God awful place you're living/working at.

As someone else stated, if you can post here, you can activate a game on STEAM with absolutely no problem.

TL;DR: It's 2010, get over yourselves.
---
X3 720 @ 3.9ghz // 6GB G.Skill DDR2 1066 // 1GB HD5830 // HT Omega Striker // Win 7 Home Premium
Currently Playing: Valkyria Chronicles II, MHFU, CoP (PC)
#30Bigj089Posted 10/25/2010 5:46:15 PM
If you're going to be on an island or oil rig with nothing but crappy satellite or dial up internet, that is your choice and your hate against online activation is unwarranted. As was mentioned, you can install store bought copies of STEAM games from their disc after the initial STEAM activation which takes all of 30 seconds, even on crappy dial up or Satellite connections. After that you can just install from the disc, set STEAM to offline mode and never have to deal with it again for the duration of your stay at whatever God awful place you're living/working at.

As someone else stated, if you can post here, you can activate a game on STEAM with absolutely no problem.

TL;DR: It's 2010, get over yourselves

Yeah its so easy and cheap to just up and move. Whats wrong with people not wanting to have to use steam?
---