Fix stuttering problems?

#1Blue_TomatoPosted 10/23/2010 3:12:28 AM

I've got a pretty high end system (Geforce GTX 295, 12GB RAM, i7 920 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, newest nVidia drivers). I got a smooth framerate on max settings, but whenever I change the view and look around a bit, I get stuttering as if the game is loading something before the framerate again turns smooth. But if I look away for a second then back, the stuttering reappears, like it has to reload everything again.

This makes it seem like some cache size is set too low or something, not taking advantage of the full amount of RAM on my system. I seem to remember there was a fix for this in Oblivion, or was it the original Fallout 3?

Anyone know how to tweak this to remove or reduce the stuttering?

#2Blue_Tomato(Topic Creator)Posted 10/23/2010 3:35:45 AM

I just installed the DLL fix mentioned here:

http://www.overclock.net/pc-games/849177-fallout-new-vegas-stutter-glitch-fix.html

This improved things a lot, although still the game is suffering from some stuttering. It will have to do until the official patches arrives I suppose :)

#3Dark OnePosted 10/23/2010 3:42:51 AM
That dll fix is not what he's talking about.

You can change the values in fallout_default in your New Vegas folder (the one under the Steam folder)

uInterior Cell Buffer=
uExterior Cell Buffer=

You can look for those values and repeatedly double them until you reach something you like.

You can also change:

iPreloadSizeLimit=

though you shouldn't multiply it by a lot. mine is at 104857600.

this essential forces the game to utilize more RAM.

---
I would only agree that a symbolic clock is as nourishing to the intellect as a photograph of oxygen to a drowning man.
#4ApolladanPosted 10/23/2010 6:20:28 AM
Frame skipping won't be fixed until the New Vegas Stutter Remover mod comes out, which won't come out until New Vegas Script Extender comes out, which won't come out until Valve gives them decryption info for the .exe AND a stable patch comes out.
---
E6750 | MSI P6N Platinum 650i | 4 GB OCZ Reaper DDR2 800 | Seagate Barracuda 320GB | ATI HD 5770 | Antec 900
#5rawmeat6Posted 10/23/2010 7:13:36 AM
It's fixed by using the old nvidia 186.18 drivers.
#6HOWRUTWOPosted 10/23/2010 7:47:00 AM
If I'm correct, I'm experiencing what Blue_Tomato is talking about. When I pan around there is a "millisecond freeze" interruption as though you're skipping a frame (the best I can describe it).

The thing that's strange is that on my older xp rig it runs silky smooth with an ATI 4870x2 and older catalyst drivers. With my vista 64 set-up and gtx285 with the latest drivers I get the "nvlddmkm" error which I thought I had fixed by turning off TMM in task scheduler.

My other games seem to be running well with the new 260.89 drivers but new vegas is making my head hurt...lol.
I'm hesitant to roll back to 186.18 because my other games run alright.
#7ApolladanPosted 10/23/2010 7:50:06 AM
You can not run this game "silky smooth" unless you use iFPSClamp, but that creates more problems because if you ever go under the FPS that you designate, the game will actually slow down to compensate. The only other solution is the Stutter Remover mod, which hasn't been released for New Vegas yet. That's it.

There is no way you can eliminate the inherent microstutter that is part of the engine by rolling back drivers. Don't waste your time.
---
E6750 | MSI P6N Platinum 650i | 4 GB OCZ Reaper DDR2 800 | Seagate Barracuda 320GB | ATI HD 5770 | Antec 900
#8rawmeat6Posted 10/23/2010 8:29:31 AM
I don't think he's talking about microstutter, i think he had the same problem as me. For example when turning around fast my fps would drop from 60 to 20 then raise to 60 again. I fixed that using the 186.18 drivers. I wouldn't start another game besides FO with those drivers though :) But if you - like me is only concentrating on playing this game right now it's worth it.
#9Dark OnePosted 10/23/2010 3:19:15 PM
the tweaks i mentioned earlier improve performance by a lot, even if you don't understand what they do (as most of the people in this thread don't, everyone just keeps talking about the workaround you stick in your NV folder).

the workaround mainly fixes the NPC extreme FPS drop problem if you have that. since tweaking my fallout_default file I no longer have any stuttering when the game is loading distance textures or anything like that.

but, getting people on this forum to actually listen instead of complain and be ignorant is a fool's game.
---
I would only agree that a symbolic clock is as nourishing to the intellect as a photograph of oxygen to a drowning man.
#10sfcalimariPosted 10/23/2010 3:59:06 PM
I have the .dll in the folder but I am still getting the constant stutters that TC is talking about. i7 920 at 3.0Ghz, 6GB of RAM and a GTX 260. Game runs fine if I'm just walking straight ahead but when I move the camera it hangs up and stutters frequently, it's very annoying. Using VATS was causing massive stuttering and slowdown but by putting AA to zero it helped reduce it mostly though it still is sluggish, and I can't figure out how to get my Nvidia card to force AA on.

That dll fix is not what he's talking about.

You can change the values in fallout_default in your New Vegas folder (the one under the Steam folder)

uInterior Cell Buffer=
uExterior Cell Buffer=

You can look for those values and repeatedly double them until you reach something you like.

You can also change:

iPreloadSizeLimit=

though you shouldn't multiply it by a lot. mine is at 104857600.

this essential forces the game to utilize more RAM.

I tried these and it doesn't help.

---
How am I supposed to be prosecuted for my Free Market ideals when the judge has creamy filling!?
--Darksun45230