Need help installing mods

#1FluffyX06Posted 11/29/2010 3:45:26 PM
I've tried installing several mods but none of them seem to work...

Here's an example: i choose the MTUI mod to install. The description said to extract the files into my Fallout New Vegas program file, simple enough. I did EXACTLY that but the UI in game is still exactly the same. Can anyone offer suggestions as to why this isn't working? :(

Here's the mod

http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34902
#2LWS666Posted 11/29/2010 3:53:24 PM
you are putting it in the Data folder, then activiating it from the launcher (start fallout new vegas, when it brigns up the pop-up menu instead of clicking play click data files, then checking the mod).
---
I learned french the hard way, from a spaniard.
If you've heard anamanaguchi and think they rock i'll give you a cookie. cookies given 1
#3FluffyX06(Topic Creator)Posted 11/29/2010 4:03:48 PM
Ok, I extracted the files into the data folder for FalloutNV and launched the game and clicked data files, but the only two things that i'm able to check are "CaravanPack.esm" and "FalloutNV.esm".
#4Son_of_Lucian04Posted 11/29/2010 4:13:10 PM
First off, download the Fallout Mod Manager (It works for Fallout 3 and New Vegas) as it is a life saver. When you download any mod that installs new textures, meshes, sounds, .esp's, .esm's or .bsa's you are going to put them into the DATA folder in your New Vegas Directory. When you start up Fallout Mod Manager, select Fallout New Vegas and make sure that your mods look like this:

Fallout_NV.esm <----- Main Game
DLC.esm <---- DLC's
Mods.esm <---- Mods
Mods.esp <----- Mods (Auto Save Managers / Glamour / Weapons / Misc / Gameplay Changes / Weather Changes / Time Scale Changes / Unofficial Patches or Merged Mod Patches

---
Desktop: X3 720BE @ 3.9GHz / 6GB DDR2 1066 / 1GB Radeon HD5830 / Win 7 64-Bit
Laptop: Asus G60VX / P7450 @ 2.13GHz / 1GB GTX 260m / Win 7 64-Bit
#5FluffyX06(Topic Creator)Posted 11/29/2010 4:34:31 PM
Ok well I downloaded FOMM but the only things in there are still the caravanpack.esm and FNV.esm... I don't really know how to get the mods to the mod manager after i download the .zip from New Vegas Nexus?

Sorry i know I'm a noob but i really do appreciate the help!
#6amioranPosted 11/29/2010 4:42:59 PM

FluffyX06 posted...
Ok, I extracted the files into the data folder for FalloutNV and launched the game and clicked data files, but the only two things that i'm able to check are "CaravanPack.esm" and "FalloutNV.esm".

MTUI in particular doesn't need you to check it in the data files. There's no .esp or .esm so you don't need to check anything. If you put thecontent of the packinside the DATA folder (you should have two subfolders named Menus and Textures there) then you need anything else.

Other mods instead require you to check them in the data files when you launch fallout NV. As a suggestion if you like UI mods I counsel you to take DarNifiedUI (you can find it in google, just search Darnified UI New Vegas, I would post a link but this damn editor doesn't allow me to do so for whatever reason).

It is much better. In this case you need to check the .esp in the data files, and you also need to edit the default_ini (also if this is optional, it is only if you want the new fonts). Probably DarNified is the best UI for Fallout.

#7Strawberry_JumPosted 11/29/2010 10:11:26 PM
Ok well I downloaded FOMM but the only things in there are still the caravanpack.esm and FNV.esm... I don't really know how to get the mods to the mod manager after i download the .zip from New Vegas Nexus?

Sorry i know I'm a noob but i really do appreciate the help!

Go to package manager, then extract FOMOD, then find and select the zip file. After it's installed, highlight it (click on it), then click 'activate mod'. If there are options for the mod (such as, for instance, tall and short NPCs, or fat and skinny, or dirty/clean, etc.) it'll open up a box for you to pick your options, then decide what you want, press OK, enjoy.

The beauty of FOMM is that if you don't like a mod/it breaks other mods, you can just highlight and click deactivate, and it'll go back to how it was before the mod (though I assume you need to copy the original file). But be careful any time a mod uses archivevalidation.txt. If you overwrite it, you'll lose all your previous data, which may make some of your older mods not work (I think). I update mine manually.

---
Steam ID: zephkiel_olandos
Steam games: Call of Duty: Black Ops, Fallout: New Vegas
#8Bionic_LobsterPosted 11/29/2010 11:25:06 PM
[quote]Ok, I extracted the files into the data folder for FalloutNV and launched the game and clicked data files, but the only two things that i'm able to check are "CaravanPack.esm" and "FalloutNV.esm".[/quote]

So you put the data folder inside your data folder? If so, you need to move the content from its current folder up into the main data folder.