level for dead money?

#1jtokePosted 2/24/2011 4:09:00 PM
i've heard that it has some kinda high skill checks, that light step is a really good perk to have there... i havent touched it yet as my current character is level 10, but around how long would you guys recommend waiting?
---
http://moongadget.com/origins/pix4/justine_dune.jpg
"brought to you by medicine prescriptions and dead again christians."
#2Cheesy_PiePosted 2/24/2011 4:56:20 PM(edited)
The game suggest a level of 20+

I'd suggest whenever a number of your skills have reached around the 75 range.

At least one speech checks involves a of Speech 85.

There's at least one Repair check of 60, may be some others I couldn't remember.

75 Explosives for a check involving a plot point, though if I remember right there's other checks to get around this requirement.

The Very Hard locks and terminals aren't worth it to reach 100 in those areas, but I would at least suggest 75 Lockpick and Science for the Hard ones

One note is that Jury Rigging perk (90 repair) is extremely helpful in maintaining your armor, as I recall there not being much similar armor around, and I relied mostly on repairing the light armor I found with prewar clothes and whatnot.

The Energy Weapon you start off with (Holorifle) requires an Energy Weapon skill of 50 to use with 100 percent efficiency

The Automatic Rifle you can pick up requires a Guns skill of 100 to use with 100 percent efficiency for some reason (I didn't find it that great, only helpful when surrounded and in close combat while waiting for AP for the Holorifle to come back). Therefore this requirement can probably be ignored somewhat.

The reason why I found the Automatic Rifle useless for the most part is because its spread is extremely large. The enemies you encounter are melee-oriented, so I assume that's why the spread is so big to give the enemies a fairer edge to not be destroyed at long range by the only automatic weapon you get. The rifle's shine is when surrounded, and surrounded a bit too close for comfort while your AP regenerates for using the Holorfile to shoot the enemies in the limbs.
---
>') Nom
#3jtoke(Topic Creator)Posted 2/24/2011 6:31:44 PM
i see... well, i dont use energy weapons at all, but guns, speech, science, and repair are the 4 skills i focus the most on getting 100 right away, so it sounds like by the time i get to early-mid 20's i should be more than ready. i've already beaten the game twice, but i'm on my first hardcore run, too, in case that effects anything in dead money.
---
#4Cheesy_PiePosted 2/24/2011 11:19:06 PM
You'll be using that Holorifle. Trust me.
---
>') Nom
#5jtoke(Topic Creator)Posted 2/25/2011 3:20:44 AM(edited)
Cheesy_Pie
Posted 2/25/2011 1:19:06 AM
message detail You'll be using that Holorifle. Trust me.

really? ugh... not looking forward to that, i tend to never boost energy weapons at all thanks to guns providing more than enough attack options. so, i'll probably have like, 30 EW at most when i get there :/

as opposed to like, 100 guns, speech, and science and probably like, 80 repair and 60 lockpick (just as a guess, i'm not sure if having my skills that high is even possible at level 20. i started with 9 intelligence and got the int implant at level 11. i also took the "cault background" perk from a mod, it gives 1 extra skill point per level [as well as making me 10% weaker to radiation).

thanks for the feedback, by the way. i appreciate it... really looking forward to the dlc, been looking forward to it ever since it was "360 exclusive with no word on it coming to the pc."
---
#6ssv2Posted 2/25/2011 8:04:31 AM
Anyone else having problems with the cap not raising? It says it is raised by XP says it is maxed, so you can't gain any to go beyond lvl 30.