how do conversation 'checks' work?

#1minimarkPosted 4/15/2012 10:37:29 PM
I just got done with Fallout 3 and I am having some trouble with speech challenges. I'm not sure though if it is JUST speech. For instance there has been a few charaters I have talked to where they have a special conversation options but it says [barter 31/60]...or something like that.
So is it telling me I need 60 barter inorder to pass, or is it saying I as a percentage..so then I would have a just keep having to retry until I get it right?
---
My PSN: Khalisis
#2MaxStar360Posted 4/15/2012 10:48:56 PM
No, the speech checks are like the ones from FO1 and 2. If it says Barter 31/60, it means you have a Barter skill of 31 and you will need a Barter skill of 60 to pass it.
#3minimark(Topic Creator)Posted 4/15/2012 10:51:58 PM
thank you sir. I never played Fallout 1 or 2...so good to know
---
My PSN: Khalisis
#4NitharadPosted 4/16/2012 2:16:41 AM
I think this system is a lot better than in F3, because it just hurts to to fail a 95% speech check with a skill of 100. It never happened to me, but there's a chance after all.
Also with a %-based system you could just quicksave/load to bypass every challenge even at very low levels.
#5Sk0rbutPosted 4/16/2012 6:19:15 AM
Nitharad posted...
I think this system is a lot better than in F3, because it just hurts to to fail a 95% speech check with a skill of 100. It never happened to me, but there's a chance after all.
Also with a %-based system you could just quicksave/load to bypass every challenge even at very low levels.

Definitely. I normally don't use cheats in video games at all but somehow I just can't pass up an opportunity to exploit the system by excessive reloading. Also as a bonus the lines you can pick if you don't have the required skills tend to be the funniest New Vegas has to offer.
---
Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid. - L. McKinney