Fallout: New Vegas has stopped working when playing.

#1ninten101dogPosted 5/4/2012 2:31:42 PM
Hello Gamefaqs users,

I recently received a copy of the FNV collector's edition and installed it via Steam. (No mods) I started the game up, no problems. Then when I got up from the bed, my character's textures had weird spaces missing and blurred textures. After I went to exit, the dialogue box appeared to ask me if I wanted to turn hardcore mode on or not. I started to read it, then I moved my mouse a little, and all of the text turned into incomprehensible blurry blobs, except for the Yes/No buttons at the bottom. I clicked no, and exited the doctor's office. I went down the hill, and as soon as I reached the bottom, it ALWAYS crashes and a window appears saying "Fallout: New Vegas" has stopped working" comes up. Every time.
Also, in the loading screens, the game will stop responding for 2 seconds then will load normally.
*I have tried disabling Steam Cloud and it made no difference.*

I have been scouring the internet for an answer, but there is nothing to be found on my issue. Fallout 3 worked fine on my PC, here are my specs:

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
AMD Athlon X2 5000+ @ 2.6GHz
6GB DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon 4300/4500 series 1 GB RAM
1TB HDD

Thanks for the help ;)
#2ninten101dog(Topic Creator)Posted 5/4/2012 2:47:39 PM
*sorry for double post*

Is there anyway to remove Steam but keep New Vegas on my PC? I hate Steam with a passion and wish it would go away, and I find it quite goofy that I had to reinstall Steam to install FNV.....
#3sirwilliam0101Posted 5/4/2012 3:30:42 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#4red255Posted 5/4/2012 3:43:47 PM
If you are having trouble launching the game the Fallout mod manager over at the nexus launches the game when the steam server is being troublesome.

but I don't think steam is your issue
---
If the next one is called, because of his MO, the underwear bomber, you'll know I'm on to something. Calvin Trillin June 16, 2006.
#5Ork_HeroPosted 5/4/2012 3:45:40 PM
Yeah you should reinstall it and before starting the game might as well check if your video drivers are up to date
---
'Ere we go!
#6ninten101dog(Topic Creator)Posted 5/4/2012 4:59:24 PM
Ork_Hero posted...
Yeah you should reinstall it and before starting the game might as well check if your video drivers are up to date

Reainstalled it, and now all I get is when I exit, now it just crashes straight away when I exit the doc's office.
At this point I think I've wasted $90 on a few poker chips, a comic book, and a dvd.....
#7ninten101dog(Topic Creator)Posted 5/4/2012 5:07:39 PM
Here is a screenshot of the texture error I was talking about.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p216/marina457/ScreenShot1.jpg
#8Wh173c0c0Posted 5/4/2012 9:53:19 PM
I had this exact same issue. It happened right after some AMD driver update. I messed around for an hour (or more) and couldn't get it to work. Eventually I system restored about 3 days back and made sure to refuse the driver updates if they showed up. The game went right back to work and has worked for about 20 hours of play since.

I'm not sure what you could do, since you never got the game working before you got the latest update where I at least had had it running for about 7-8 hours. As such, system restore is probably out of the question for you.

Perhaps the latest AMD update causes some bugs with Fallout? I know such a thing sounds preposterous, but who knows? Sometimes computers are weird.
Like someone else already said, check into your drivers. Maybe that will get you on the right track. That or keep looking for answers and hope for the best. Good luck friend.
---
3/21/06-4/22/10 Don't Forget.
Asexual (Yes, it's a real thing) and proud of it. Others I have met-0
#9cjnoonePosted 5/5/2012 8:43:25 AM
^In other words, try using the driver rollback ability. System restore is overkill.
---
If your AC:WW game is bricked, contact me at cj.no.one {at} gmail {dot} com. I will unbrick the cart and restore your save file. Only cost is shipping.